Return Of The King SCORE Discussion

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

128 kbps AAC files sound better than 128 kbps mp3's.

Neil

yes,but why?

KM.

It's a newer, more advanced standard. Most of the MPEG guidelines were devised in 1987. Over the years there has been a lot of research in compression tehniques. It only stands to reason that the newer compression scheme would sound better.

Neil

So Gandalf isn't human?  

Hes really a God? No offense but the dude is a PRETTY WEAK ASS GOD!  

I mean what did he do which was so special? Created some fireworks and some lighting effects? Hardly very inspiring for a so called "deity".  

As far as wizards go Gandalf was hardly a very impressive one really. I mean his incantations looked more like simple tricks if anything.

We've had this converstation already.

Luke had the same problem with Gandalf and saruman not doing magiv tricks every 5 minutes.

It was explained why, can't you keep up?

Stefancos- :roll:

Well i dont mind if they do not cast spells that destroy armies but using small staff bursts (he Gandalf does in the official movie videogame) instead of ALWAYS kicking, slashing and hitting could be nice... (whats the difference in hitting with small magic and weapons? And in the movie the 'guide not help' thing is a mess. Didn gandalf take up the 'throne' after dethenor's madness? If that is not getting your nose in the people's affairs then what's it?)

Yes, I had some trouble with that too. Especially when Gandalf went all ninja on those Orcs. And Denethor has been reduced to a mad asshole instead of a noble man who has come under the grip of Sauron. Shame.

- Marc

Well I thought he was too much of a sicko, more than he was in the books. Take the way he sends his own son to certain death. Buh. How he wants to burn his son alive. I know this was straight from the book, but I don't think he was such a sadist there as he was in the film.

BTW, that line "So passes Denethor, son of Ecthelion." was hilarious.

- Marc

Well i dont mind if they do not cast spells that destroy armies but using small staff bursts (he Gandalf does in the official movie videogame) instead of ALWAYS kicking, slashing and hitting could be nice...

One of the reasons why I never bothered to try that game, actually.

whats the difference in hitting with small magic and weapons?

The one thing he does with the human body he was given. The other thing would require him to use his full superhuman powers against an enemy the Valar have chosen not to fight.

And in the movie the 'guide not help' thing is a mess. Didn gandalf take up the 'throne' after dethenor's madness?

Gandalf hitting Denethor is the worst thing they did in the movies, and I absolutely hate it. Gandalf taking over control over the armies happens in the book as well, I only had a problem with him taking control immediately (Pippin & the beacons)...in the book he only takes control once Denethor really goes mad.

If that is not getting your nose in the people's affairs then what's it?

Getting his nose in people's affairs is what he was sent for in the first place. To guide and council people. Just not to take an active role in the fighting using his godly powers.

Marian - :music:

Yeah they totally made Gandalf seem utterly worthless as far as a Wizard goes.

I mean how exactly was this guy even a wizard? What did he do that was so incredible and awe-inspiring? JACK SHIT! Thats what!

The guy could use a sword decent enough, but he supposed to be a powerful wizard.

For Chrissakes I've seen corny magicians on TV who do more impressive feets that this guy.

Yeah they totally made Gandalf seem utterly worthless as far as a Wizard goes.

You ass, we have been though all this before, the original meaning of the words wizard was something like wise man.

Tolkien never intended his Wizards to be Harry Potter like figures who go around waving their wands and using magic from everything.

I mean how exactly was this guy even a wizard? What did he do that was so incredible and awe-inspiring? JACK SHIT! Thats what!

Se my above comment.

The guy could use a sword decent enough, but he supposed to be a powerful wizard.

Again, originally a Wizard was a Wise man more then a powerfull sorcerrer.

For Chrissakes I've seen corny magicians on TV who do more impressive feets that this guy.

Whatever. :roll:

No lad no.

It's a much longer theme, you can hear it in track one of the FOTR CD, after the big choral stuff and before the trumpet statement of the Shire Theme.

In TTT you can hear it in The Leavetaking.

Stefancos- who's fairly good in naming LOTR themes.

Right. No, I did not hear that.

But if you look at the music documentary on the TTT EE, you'll see that Howard Shore calls that theme I mentioned, the one you hear over the opening title, and for instance also at the Argonath... "The History of the Ring theme". :P:|

About Gandalf - I know this is a bit of a lame excuse to save the film, but the EE will have Gandalf battling the Witch King on his way to Denethor's pyre. One of the money shots from this sequence is in the trailer. :)

- Marc, who wants a copy of his own of this film. :D

Yeah, I remember seeing a shot of the Witchking's Nazgul landing on a building, which I never saw happen in the cinema release. Bring on the EE. And the full score too.

Oh wait, it was in the special preview on the TTT 2-disc DVD. There's a wallpaper over on the official site of this scene:

creatures_witchking2_800.jpg

- Marc, already getting excited for the EE. :D

:| John Williams - Seduction Of Alex from The Witches Of Eastwick

I had that with the Nazgûl at the first FotR showing I went to. You could feel your soda can trembling in your hand, even when it was just to the music, or a horse trampling over the ground.

- Marc, who saw FotR for the first time at a preview screening. :|

Those Nazgul are the freaking coolest villains we're gonna have for a long time

I do wish the Witchking had some cooler armor, not that his current one isn't nice but they could've done a little better

And did anybody notice that one like general orc in ROTK looked like Sloth from the Goonies?

And the good news: Apparently, the score IS eligible for the Oscar. :)

Marian - hail to the King.

Great news, but now I am really confused on these Oscar rules. :angry:

And how is that they changed their mind? Well at least it made Shore truly orchestrate the music. (TTT did not deserve even a nomination)

Luke, happy because Johnny could get at least oscar nominations for EPIII and Indy IV :angry:

But anyway Shore already won an oscar for LOTR, being one sole story ... isnt that enough?

Luke, who thinks that Shore should have won for ROTK (the best score of the three IMO) and FOTR being only nominated.

Frankly, i no loger case about the Oscars at all, last years descision to punish composers for maintaining a thematic cohesion in their sequel scores is what did it for me.

It just makes no sense.

If Shore is nominated fine

If he wins, fine

If he losing, also fine.

It does not change anything about the music itself, nor my love for it.

I don't think it's totaly irrelevent- true, they rarely pick the best score, but they generaly pick a good one. And I think last year was an improvement- four of the scores were great, one was good (The Hours), and four of the five deserved to win. Although I would've rathered the other Bernstein, Williams or Newman over Goldenthal, Frida is very good. And I don't they've given it to a downright bad score since The Full Monty, which is almost an exact replica of Rocky.

Of course, it will never have an effect on the music. But people will take it more seriously if it did win, and Shore recieved a much deserved career boost from his win. No more Mrs. Doubtfires or Dogmas.

But people will take it more seriously if it did win, and Shore recieved a much deserved career boost from his win. No more Mrs. Doubtfires or Dogmas.

So far Shore has only scored the other 2 LOTR films and Spider since he won his Oscar.

Well, concider me phsycic. I mean he will not have to resort to Doubtfire or Dogma in order to make ends meet.

And he has said in interviews that he's bee flooded with offers that he never would've gotten before.

I guess it's a bit sad, since I loved his small scores. Ed Wood is fantastic, I think every bit as good as Elfman could've done. But he's been doing the same kind of movies for 20 years now, and he's not a young man any more. He won't look as hot as he used to in a nurse's outfit. So, he'll finally get the Glengarry leads.

I do like Dogma. I was talking movie caliber.

The Patriot and Stepmom and Seven Years in Tibet are huge budget star vehicles with no content. That doesn't mean they have fewer opportunities for great music. They're all big in their own way, and have great opportunities for music. Neither Dogma or Mrs. Doubtfire have much place for noticable music. Two of the three Williams have good scores, but neither of Shore's has any really substantial pieces of music.

Since that score was not composed by Howard Shore, not has any connection with ROTK perhaps this thread is not the best place to announce this desire.

Stefancos- who was told that women brains were capable of rational thought patterns. :|

hey, my thought process is very intricate. I just happened to choose the statement that was not best suited for the thread. Perhaps i should explain:

an example of my thought process (that my boyfriend thinks is crazy) We will be talking about music from school and then i'll be silent for awhile and all of a sudden i'll start in about Alfredo. THen i'll have to backtrack to explain where it came from. . .all the way through school, kids, liked a lesson, all things likeable: cats, pizza, Italian. . .and eventually leading to alfredo.

Yes, you are a women indeed.

Offcourse your explanation only puts another non ROTK post here.

Not to mention my post that has to point this fact out.

BTW, Ren what do you hear in the track Minas Morgul, starting at 1 minute and 5 seconds into that track?

Let's try to pull this thread out of the sewer it's heading.

an example of my thought process (that my boyfriend thinks is crazy)  We will be talking about music from school and then i'll be silent for awhile and all of a sudden i'll start in about Alfredo.  THen i'll have to backtrack to explain where it came from. . .all the way through school, kids, liked a lesson, all things likeable:  cats, pizza, Italian. . .and eventually leading to alfredo.

LOL I have that too. But wait... I'm not a woman. bowdown Oh dear.

Steef, what is it you can hear there? I don't have my CD at hand, but I'm curious. Is it really the Isengard theme? Sounds pretty neat.

- Marc, who wants the choral Fellowship theme. :P

:| John Williams - Landspeeder Search/Attack of the Sand People from Star Wars (SE)

Frankly, i no loger case about the Oscars at all, last years descision to punish composers for maintaining a thematic cohesion in their sequel scores is what did it for me.

Shore did not just make themathic cohesion for TTT. He just pasted the old themes, created more unthematic action music and created two new main themes (Rohan's and Gollum's).

He got it right in ROTK, tough, as i said.

I disagree, i think TTT was well done by Shore with the only drawback being to it was that it's meant as a middle part for the movies, of course it'll be the worse one