Return Of The King SCORE Discussion

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my fav parts of the ROTK score is the first thing you hear right before the LOTR sign, that little dark motif followed by the little two step da-da da-da

Plus with the LOTR sign, Shore varied the ring theme from Fellowship and Towers by staggering the timing a bit which i enjoyed

Increase posts... QMM is uncomfortably closing in

Damn straight!

What do you think you're some kind of jedi waving your hand around like that

I'm a Twin-darian, mind tricks don't work on me

Wait, there's a cat!?!?!?

No, I mean because Hamlet had Dreyfus, Denzel... I mean... everyone was A-list star.

There were many A-list stars in Branagh's Hamlet, but not Richard Dreyfuss and Denzel Washington. Dreyfuss was in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead and Washington was in Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing (which are both very good BTW).

Marian - :ola:

Yes... I guess I got them all mixed up, heh heh.

To get back on topic of LOTR music.

Which of the 3 VD's do you think is the best in terms of respresenting the overall score as writting for the film.

Fellowship Of The Ring is the only one in which the music is cronologically correct, which i consider a big plus.

It contains all of the major themes and most of the big musical set pieces, but the first half of the CD suffers from the fact that it contains no less the 4 tracks more or less identical performances of the Ring Wraith chorus.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic theme, but to include it so often while there is so much other music that could have been included (the fabulous short action cue for the fight with that Octopus monster, the Gondor Theme, Journey To Weathertop, the complete Bridge Of Khazad Dum) is just wastefull.

The second half is a lot better, and The Bridge Of Khazad Dum and The Breaking Of The Fellowship are highlights for the whole trilogy.

The Two Towers sadly abandons it's predecessors cronological format for "best listening experience approach" that also plagues so many of Williams CD's.

The score jumps from one place in it's story to another, with The Riders Of Rohan being a cut and paste job of no less the 4 seperate cues.

Also some cues have been poorly named (Helm's Deep for instance)

Having said that the score plays fairly well on CD, offering a more varied package then FOTR.

It's missing a massive load of music, and I feel that Passage Through the Marches and The Forbidden Pool could have been replaced with other music instead. (there is a truckload of GREAT music from the Helm's Deep battle not accounted for)

Big thumbs down must be given to the Limited Edition CD, which has the outstanding Farewell To Lorien from the FOTR: EE, but also cut about 30 seconds of music from 2 seperate tracks to make room for it. (The Uruk-Hai and The Black Gate Opens)

Also, the CD lists that it contains several promotional Multi Media items, while in fact it only contains internet links to such items, making it worthless to those who have no Internet connection, or if these items are ever taken of line.

Return Of The King, like TTT not in cronological order, and with a few misleading track names, but this CD has a very varied content, moreso then the other 2, it's more heavy on action music then TTT and contains most of the important cues, off course there is much missing, but with about 3 hours of music recorded that is unavoidable.

So far the only cue that really SHOULD have been on this CD but isn't is the big choral version of the Fellowship Theme.

Since I have not recieved the Limited Edition CD yet i can not offer any comment on it except that with a bonus DVD featuring a docu about the making of the score it seems that this is the only one Lim Ed version that is really worth the extra money.

When it comes to representing the full score on a single CD, i guess ROTK is the winner for me, with FOTR as second place (due to overuse of the Ring Wraith chorus) and TTT as last.

Stefancos- :music: The Grey Havens, ROTK

Er... Well, I pretty much agree with you.

FotR has too much Wraith music. Stuff that should have been on there are things like Leaving Bree, The Redhorn Pass, the complete version of The Bridge of Khazad-dûm, the complete version of Amon Hen and perhaps some more delicate thematical stuff, like Gondor's theme at Elrond's Council, and the "White Tree" theme in Lothlórien. Although all of that probably wouldn't fit on one CD anyway.

TTT suffers immensely from cutting and pasting. The music from the arrival at Edoras to the Symbelmynë scene is all over the place. Same with the Helm's Deep music.

RotK however, has that looong track The Return of the King. It's valuable to have on the album, yes, but musically not what I would have preferred, but that's just my personal taste. That choral version of the Fellowship theme should have been on there, and perhaps some more of the music from the early parts of the film (I believe that while track 1 is the opening scene, track 2 is some 20 minutes into the picture). I have to admit I have not really been paying attention to the music in the film yet. I've only just seen it two times, and I was only paying attention to cues that were on the OST the first time, and the second time I was paying more attention to the visuals.

There's also some music from the Extended Editions of the first two films that I'd like to see. Namely, the longer version of Leaving Bree, Farewell To Lórien (this was on the TTT LE), and the extended Amon Hen from FotR. From TTT I'd like to hear that wonderful music from Théodred's funeral and the great underscore for the Sons of the Steward sequence.

- Marc

OH yeah can someone answer this LOTR question??

Its been friggin bugging me forever:

Elves are supposed to be immortal correct? Then how the hell exactly do they age to maturity?

I mean theoretically if you were immortal from birth you wouldn't age. You'd remain an infant from birth forever.

So how the hell do they get to what we would call "adulthood"?

What are they born and age and eventually they get to a point where they stop aging? How the hell does that work exactly?

Now that I think about they never actually showed any Elfen "kids" in LOTR. Do they not have kids in the traditional human fashion?

OH yeah and WHY do some Elves look significantly older than others? I mean Elrond looks much older than his daughter Arwen. Now ordinarily you'd expect this among humans but NOT when they're elves who are supposed to be immortal.

Everyone should look the same age if their all immortal correct?

Can someone please explain this before my friggin HEAD EXPLODES!!!

Elves are born as babies. They age until the height of their beauty (about 25 years old) and then simply stop changing. Elrond probably looks older because he's so wise. And because Hugo Weaving is older than Liv Tyler.

- Marc

@Steef: Is there any evidence of any elf (other than Legolas= coming out of Helm's Deep alive?

Not to my knowledge, but even that fact is weird, since you would expect atleast some of these highly trained, highly disiplined Elves survive. (a lot of these Rohan farmers survived)

For me ROTK seems to be the best put together CD (FOTR spends to much time on the Nazgul Theme in favor of more varied material)

The Breaking Of The Fellowship is the single best cue out of the trilogy, The Bridge Of Khazad Dum the best action cue.

Stefancos- wondering about this @

Stefan I completely COMPLETELY agree with you on the Breaking and Khazad Dum......I also have a place in my hear for Rohan and Gondor.

oh yeah . .... ..and the lighting of the beacons was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For more detailed info on Elves, from Tolkien himself, check out the following article. It deals mostly with Elf sex and marriage but I found it pretty interesting. Puberty for an elf is like age 50 through 100, after which it is usual for them marry. Elves that don't marry (Legolas) or marry later than usual (Elrond) have strange or unusual fates.

http://ansereg.com/what_tolkien_officially...ly_said_abo.htm

I think there's no problem with aging and then stopping to age. "Immortal" means just what it says, you don't die.

Now a really difficult question would be, why does Cirdan have a beard?

Marian - LOL

Where? Midi? Don't know, what program are you using? There is a part where the chorus sings, I added those lyrics to the sheet music. Apparently they were saved in the midi, too. (Unfortunately I don't have the lyrics for the solo part yet).

OK hmmmm interesting info above about the elves.

What about that dude Gandalf though?

What the hell is he?

He doesn't look like an elf but in one of the interviews with him Ian McKellan said Gandalf is supposed to be 7,000 year old.

The hell?

Plus why after he died did he "Reincarnate" so to speak as an alternate version of himself?

He is of the same race as Sauron, and the Balrog. They're all Maiar, servants of the Valar, who could be best (but not completely accurate) be described as "Gods". Sauron was the servant of Morgoth, the first dark lord, as was the Balrog. When Maiar come to Middle-Earth they can take a shape they want, or which corresponds to their goals, or personalities, or whatever (has been a while since I read the Silmarillion). The five wizards where sent to Middle-Earth early in the Third Age to help the peoples of M.E. in their fight against Sauron, but not through power but through council and wisdom. In the ende Gandalf is the only one of them who stayed true to his mission and achieved his goal (Saruman failed and, well, died... Radagast didn't do anything worthwhile in the end (perhaps that's why he was omitted in the film :mrgreen: ), and the other two wizard went into the East and nothing was heard of them afterwards).

Hey Stefan I agree with you. ROTK Score is better than the other two. NiIce orchestrations and varioations of the themes in this one. That was the mayor letdown of the other two scores. Also the chorus is better presented here.

But the presentation of the CD.... I was angered! I was EAGER to hear again the choral version of the fellowship theme, and the arrival of the great eagles (the best scene for me in the whole trilogy :mrgreen: ) were not in there :(. I dont know but is the scene with Shadowfax and gandalf saving the survivors of Minas Morgul out of the CD too? I cannot find it...

Hey Chris! Show respect for poor Radagast (the best wizard out there for me - same reason as the great eagles ;) ) And i think he was the one killed. How do you think that Saruman got his Raven flocks? And Saruman did not died at least in LOTR (as i remember it), he was cast out of power and then he is only a poor old man...

You mean Saruman didn't die in the book? Yes he did. He was killed by the Hobbits when they found out he had overrun the Shire at the end of RotK. I don't think Radagast was killed, though.

- Marc

Hey Stefan I agree with you. ROTK Score is better than the other two. NiIce orchestrations and varioations of the themes in this one.

My post only adressed the presentation of the score on CD, not the musical quality

I dont know but is the scene with Shadowfax and gandalf saving the survivors of Minas Morgul out of the CD too? I cannot find it...

It in the track called minas Tirith, the part were the boy soprano can be heard.

Stefancos- :mrgreen:

Hey Stefan I agree with you. ROTK Score is better than the other two. NiIce orchestrations and varioations of the themes in this one.

My post only adressed the presentation of the score on CD, not the musical quality

I dont know but is the scene with Shadowfax and gandalf saving the survivors of Minas Morgul out of the CD too? I cannot find it...

It in the track called minas Tirith, the part were the boy soprano can be heard.

Stefancos- :mrgreen:

1- Ok i should have posted the other sentences apart. I agree with you ROTK is the better for not having so many equal repetitions of the themes and so...

2- Many thanks ;)

So Gandalf isn't human?

Hes really a God? No offense but the dude is a PRETTY WEAK ASS GOD!

I mean what did he do which was so special? Created some fireworks and some lighting effects? Hardly very inspiring for a so called "deity".

As far as wizards go Gandalf was hardly a very impressive one really. I mean his incantations looked more like simple tricks if anything.

You mean Saruman didn't die in the book? Yes he did. He was killed by the Hobbits when they found out he had overrun the Shire at the end of RotK. I don't think Radagast was killed, though.

- Marc

Hey i just looked in the book. Saruman was killed by Wormtongue and then worm was killed by hobbit arrows as they tried to stop him.

The poor soul of saruman, though was going west but a cold breeze drivem it to the east and vanished.

Rogue, i'm with you. Though Gangald kicked some ass with staff and sword, he could have used a little magic too ;) (just like in the movie's videogame for instance)

So Gandalf isn't human?  

I mean what did he do which was so special? Created some fireworks and some lighting effects? Hardly very inspiring for a so called "deity".  

As far as wizards go Gandalf was hardly a very impressive one really. I mean his incantations looked more like simple tricks if anything.

We've had this converstation already.

Luke had the same problem with Gandalf and saruman not doing magiv tricks every 5 minutes.

It was explained why, can't you keep up?

Stefancos- :roll:

I wish they did actualy use more magic in the wizard's duel. That was the worst scene in all of the movies. Everyone always cracks up when he starts spinning. And I felt very sorry for these two old guys. It looked like they were gonna drop dead right there.

:love: It would be nice if I was selling copied RotK soundtracks en masse. A nice picture is okay, right? :roll:

- Marc, who has seen worse merchandise: a handbag with Frodo on it. ;)

The Most Idiotic Piece Of LOTR Related Merchandise Ever Created.

http://lotrcdr.warnerreprise.com/

Is anyone gonna fall for this?

Stefancos- :spiny:

Is $4.99 the most ever charged for a single blank CD-R? And doesn't this defeat the purpose of downloading the album, to save a few bucks? When you figure that it costs $11.99 to download the album and then $4.99 for the CD-R you wind up with an expensive inferior product. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Neil

Why would I pay 12 bucks to download the album? Isn't it somewhere on KaZaA or something?

Because one way is legal. The other is not.

is there really such a difference in audio quality. I difference you can actually hear?

128 kbps AAC files sound better than 128 kbps mp3's.

Neil

So Gandalf isn't human?  

We've had this converstation already.

Luke had the same problem with Gandalf and saruman not doing magiv tricks every 5 minutes.

It was explained why, can't you keep up?

Stefancos- :roll:

Sorry if I don't follow EVERY SINGLE conversation on these boards. Care to link me to one of these debates so I can get caught up?