How to become a film composer...

FossMan

Okay, besides the obvious (get a degree), how does one become a composer for film? I was told by a graduate student the other day that one of the better ways to accomplish this is to become an orchestrater for an established film composer. Work for him/her, and eventually he/she will pass off an assignment to you because they do not have time for it.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has such a different story of how they broke in, there just isn't a certain way. But what Simon said, that is definitely true in relation to staying power. And, you are also as good as the movie you work on unfortunately. They never look at the score, just at how good that film did in the box office... Unless you are in the select few that get hired no matter what....

I disagree with Simon's order. I feel its hard work first, because hard work can lead to connections and develop talent. Also, you need lots of time (think on the order of 10 - 20 years from bachelor's degree to solo feature length film), lots of money (on the order of $50-$100k for studio equipment and constant upgrades), relocation to LA area at first (otherwise, it is quite difficult to make connections), efficient marketing, and credits, credits, credits.

Degrees, by the way, are truly meaningless in Hollywood. However, the person you studied with is very important. I'm only getting a degree because it is a safe back-up plan. As a film composer, you should always have an array of backup plans to support yourself. Find other ways to work in film if possible (and I do mean anything: music editor, music copyist, orchestrator/arranger, synthesizer programmer (very popular entry level position for film composers today), sound engineer, recording engineer, sound designer, foley, ADR, assistant positions, gopher, mailroom, secretary... anything!). Working in film/media is more efficient than working outside of film media because of networking potential. I cannot stress how important networking is because a lot of my (albeit minor) successes came through networking.

But quite possibly the best way to get into Hollywood is to establish a relationship with a director and/or producer early on. Certainly there are big league associations (Spielberg/Williams, Burton/Elfman, etc.), but this is a really good way to get a foot in the door if your director/producer is able to get some good employment because, not only will you have credit from the experience, but you will have several networking oppurtunities, and if the director/producer likes your work, then you may have more work coming.

Don't give up. Giving up is the death of a film composer. It is a tough business, and many do give up. It may take you more than a decade to find 1 job as a film composer, but you have to stick it out in order to succeed in this business.

A last word of advice: be first, be different, and be best.

I disagree... It's good to have goals. However, direct imitation is bad. You should strive not to be the next JW, but rather to be yourself and supercede him. If you are only in this business to get awards and make lots of money, then you probably shouldn't be in this business. You should love to write music, and then the money and awards will come to you (in about 500 years!) :)

We need to hear how ocelot got into the industry

Start it out with, a tragic tale of heartbreak and deception...and a batpenis

Connections, talent, hard work - in that priority... 8O

I would've thought talent would come first.

Then again we do have composers like Trevor Rabin and Elliot Goldenthal out there so maybe talent isn't that important after all.

Rogue: Exactly. Although Klaus Badelt can do decent stuff and I think Goldethal can do amazing stuff. But then we have Trevor Rabin, Graeme Revell, Carter Burwell and such... Like in most other businesses, talent isn't the most important thing - connections are. I experience this myself everyday...

How to be a film composer

Assasinate the competition or leave horse heads in their beds.

Failing that, kidnap and screw the beautiful wifes of your rivals.

Failing that,do a "Dr Lecter" and wear Johnny's face over yours.

Hah! Why is it that people think I have actually made it in Hollywood? I'm still trying to get in!!!!!

And then I will talk about a tale of how I slept to the top, no tragedy at all :)

How to be a film composer

Assasinate the competition or leave horse heads in their beds.

Failing that, kidnap and screw the beautiful wifes of your rivals.

Failing that,do a "Dr Lecter" and wear Johnny's face over yours.

Hey dont forget possessing the bodies of a famous film composer. Thats how many people break into the biz. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The best way, is probably to be friends with a few directors. If you're lucky, you'll get each other into hollywood.

Bingo. Hence attend film school.

I know people who went to Berklee for film scoring and they complained about not being able to make these connections, as well as not being challenged enough.