The Battle for Middle-Earth...

Wojo

I first thought about this when I read the chapter names in the "liner notes" in The Two Towers: Extended Edition DVD, and since I saw the film again, it's been knawing at me.

Am I the only one who thinks that this comment by Gandalf is terribly derivative of something else: "The battle for Middle Earth has begun." I mean, I realize that every film need a catchphrase with which to sell it, a catchy slogan to put on its movie posters. But this was done earlier by 1991's Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country: "The Battle for Peace has begun." And then 1998's Star Trek IX: Insurrection had to be terribly unoriginal with its "The Battle for Paradise has begun." Along comes The Lord of the Rings, which doesn't use it once, but TWICE. The full quote by Gandalf says "The battle for Helm's Deep is over. The battle for Middle Earth has begun." So now, stuff's saying "The battle for Middle Earth continues." Totally uninspired slogan, New Line. Tsk tsk tsk.

Any comments?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what it is. A battle of taglines. What's next?

Star Wars: Episode III: (Whatever)...The Battle for the Galaxy has begun

Indiana Jones IV: (Whatever)...The Battle for (some relic) has begun

Harry Potter III: Azkaban something...The Battle for Azkaban has begun

Batman V...The Battle for Gotham City has begun

Timeline...The Battle for Time has begun

Vince Vaughan and Ann Heche in the second remake of a classic Hitchcock film, The Birds...The Battle for a parkbench free of bird doodoo has begun

James and the Giant Peach...The Battle for a REALLY big peach cobbler has begun

Charlier and the Chocolate Factory remake...The Battle for Oompa-Loompa freedom has begun

"The battle for Middle Earth has begun."

But he doesn't say that. He says: "The battle for Middle-earth is about to begin." I rather like that statement. Though of course I'd have liked it even more if he said "The War of the Ring is about to begin."

Marian - :banghead:

OK, that makes it *slightly* more original. Yea, I'd forgotten the exact wording, because, like, I don't have a photgraphic memory. Oh wait. Yes I do. It's just highly selective.

The Oompa Loompas think they have a good workers union but actually they dont

You mean the Grunka Lunka's.

By the way, I thought the slogan for RotK was "The Journey Ends".

- Marc, could care less.

The Battle for Middle-Earth...

Oh sorry. Not quite what i expected.

I thought this was going to be a discussion regarding the small plot of land in our back garden.

We're trying to negotiate with the local council to be able to keep it for a low price. Anyway....