So....Harry, Jason, Ray... (a new era)

Director

Alright, time to revive this thread. I just can't let it die!

Director -- if you are reading this, please come back! We miss you!

Ren -- how are the kids? I trust you're educating them well. :)

Ray -- Sorry I'm so slow with the David Arnold thing, but don't worry, it will come.

Well, I'm glad to be back, and hopefully I'll get to stay this time.

~Harry

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got quite a few Herrmann scores, a couple Korngold, a couple Steiner, and some Rozsa. I've only listened to Korngold's Seahawk, Prince and the Pauper, and Adventures of Robin Hood. I loved the Seahawk and Robin Hood, but didn't care too much for Prince and the Pauper. I guess that's just my musical preference coming out (give me the action!). :)

~Harry

wow it's been along time since I've seen this thread.

I almost brought it back the other day but just couldn't do it. I wanted to make sure Harry would be around to post a bit in it.

The kids are pretty good. I was a little sick of them last week but now i'm on vacation and I'm great.

Actually I'm EXCELLENT. I just finished reading LOTR with all the appendices and I'm just bowled over by the literature. I feel different now. I'm not trying to sound all weird here, but you know when you read or see something epic and it really hits you : you just feel different?

That's how I feel right now.

Harry, Morn how are your lives?

I got quite a few Herrmann scores, a couple Korngold, a couple Steiner, and some Rozsa.  I've only listened to Korngold's Seahawk, Prince and the Pauper, and Adventures of Robin Hood.  I loved the Seahawk and Robin Hood, but didn't care too much for Prince and the Pauper.  I guess that's just my musical preference coming out (give me the action!). :)

~Harry

Screw Steiner and stock up on those Waxmans. :)

wow it's been along time since I've seen this thread.

I almost brought it back the other day but just couldn't do it.  I wanted to make sure Harry would be around to post a bit in it.

Awwww, shucks. :mrgreen:

I'm not trying to sound all weird here, but you know when you read or see something epic and it really hits you :  you just feel different?

Yeah, I understand that. I get that a lot from movies.

My life you ask? It's busy with all my college work, but I'm dealing well, and I thought I should come back here to chat with everyone, so here I am. :|

~Harry

Which Herrmann ones?

Let's see...Psycho, North by Northwest, Vertigo, Jason and the Argonauts, and a few more I can't remember right now.

~Harry

Still no Citizen Kane. :mrgreen:

Which Herrmann ones?

Let's see...Psycho, North by Northwest, Vertigo, Jason and the Argonauts, and a few more I can't remember right now.

~Harry

Still no Citizen Kane. :mrgreen:

Still no The Ghost and Mrs Muir. ::shakes head::

Are veterans allowed to jump in with the "new era" crowd...?

Actually I'm EXCELLENT.  I just finished reading LOTR with all the appendices and I'm just bowled over by the literature.  I feel different now.  I'm not trying to sound all weird here, but you know when you read or see something epic and it really hits you :  you just feel different?

That's how I feel right now.

Congratulations, Ren. It's nice to know the movies aren't dissuading people from reading (and enjoying) the books. I had the same reaction when I read it some 15 years ago. You do feel different, changed, as though you went through the adventure right alongside the characters. There aren't many books out there capable of that sort of connection with their audience.

I'm impressed that you went straight through the appendices, too; it wasn't until my second or third reading that I undertook all that. But they do help you see how Tolkien wasn't just writing a stand-alone novel. It's only a small part of a much bigger tale.

Give it a year or so, then read them again. The second time is just as much fun (for different reasons).

- Uni

i bet i can!

but i did start reading the potter's again. i didn't want to get overwhelmed by lotr, even though i REALLY want to read it again. i'll wait a bit and re-read the hobbit and lotr.

sorry to hear about not reading lotr, if you ever get a chance i highly recommend them.

I don't know...I'm a stubborn person, and I think I'd rather read the Potter books again before I would read LOTR.

~Harry :)

NO! Get out, veteran.

JK, of course. :(

It's been a LONG time since we chatted in this thread. And it's kind of sad that two of its members have been gone for a while.

Harry, don't worry about the Anold compilation. I understand how busy things can get. :)

Ray Barnsbury-who will hopefully get time to post more in this thread soon

NO! Get out, veteran.

JK, of course. :mrgreen:

It's been a LONG time since we chatted in this thread. And it's kind of sad that two of its members have been gone for a while.

Too long. I suppose this "new era" rising up is what's keeping the board going, which is a great thing; still, it's sad that a lot of the veterans don't connect like they once did. Oh, well....:cry:

And Ren--go ahead and read the Potter books again. Give yourself a little distance before undergoing the Quest again. When you come back to it, if you remember the general direction of things but can't quite recall every detail, then you'll have a blast with it.

- Uni....who means to read Goblet again himself before June rolls around....

• 5 months later...

Well, to revive an old thread. I wanted to spout off some things that are really interesting to me and my life!

Stefan just completely enlightened me to the Silmarillion. Marian, for shame! I thought you were the Tolkien buff here! Stefan has shown me that I am an elf.

Then Sauron laughed; and he mocked Renovia, and revealed to her that she had only seen a phantom devised by wizardry to entrap her; for Antony was dead. 'Nonetheless I will grant thy prayer,' said Sauron; 'and thou shalt go to Antony, and be set free of my service.' Then he put her cruelly to death.

So that was a little tidbit of info that I find highly amusing and now I am going to have to go read this.

Next on the page is receiving my John Williams autograph. I wrote to him last year to tell him about my teaching career and how much he influences my decisions to use film music in the classroom. hooray

Onto my master's degree. I've taken 3 classes this summer and here is where my new era begins. My music philosphy has molded into a new beginning for the upcoming year. I am going to be teaching the children more about the "doing" of music so when they all leave me they will all be musical people in the sense that they can sing/think tunes; feel the beat/rhythm/meter of music; and are sensitive to the expressive qualities in music.

This way - all the children (when they are 30+) will be able to sing lullabies to their children, dance at their wedding, be able to clap in time at functions/sporting events, sing at church, be able to go to the symphony and enjoy it, and feel it necessary to have quality music in their lives.