CDs/DVDs don't last forever

My Batman score CD says it will last a lifetime. Seems it's not exactly true:

"We were all told that CDs were well-nigh indestructible when they were introduced in the mid '80s," Koster says. "Companies used that in part to justify the higher price of CDs as well."  

The rotting can be due to poor manufacturing, according to Jerry Hartke, who runs Media Sciences Inc., a Marlborough, Mass., laboratory that tests CDs.  

Manufacturers cite lifespans up to 100 years, but without a standardized test, it's very hard to evaluate their claims, Byers says. The worst part is that manufacturers frequently change the materials and manufacturing methods without notifying users.

Yahoo! News

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an old claim. Legend has it that some titles went blank after a while due to some wrong ink, or something. All my CDs are still working. I don't think any of the major labels were affected by this.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I first saw this topic at FSM, the Jerry Goldsmith is Lord site,

and then I saw this today, and thought some might find it useful.

Learn more about CD ROT, and how to protect your cd's and DVD's

Some of the CDs that are said to rot I have had for awhile and I don't see any problems yet.

I have the original Polydoor release of Cocoon, I've had it for some 17 years I believe and it still plays fine.

I just try to take care of my music as good as I can.

Irons is still pretty happy with CD technology, since it beats vinyl LPs and tape for longevity.

LPs don't have the complex manufacturing process that can potentially effect CDs. All you need is something to spin them and something fine enough to reach between the grovves to get sound. In theory, an LP will never go bad, so that longevity claim is bogus.

Neil

Be careful, Morn! Your collection, on the other hand, IS endangered since compared to real CDs the lifespan of CDR is ridiculously short.

:P

----------------

Alex Cremers

Of course the act of playing an LP is inherently destructive.

Not when treated with care. CDs apparently can be lovingly treated and still degrade.

Neil

Be careful, Morn! Your collection, on the other hand, IS endangered since compared to real CDs the lifespan of CDR is ridiculously short.

CDR's don't corrode, they are just more fragile. Treat em with care they could in theory last at least 15 years and maybe 50 years.

Not when treated with care. CDs apparently can be lovingly treated and still degrade.

Neil

Wrong vinyl fanboy.

Get your facts straight.

The act of putting a sharp needle upon the surrfice of an LP and then revolving it is inherently destructive.

Even if you take great care of your LP's, they will wear a little every time they are played.

That's life, and you should get one.

Next.

Neil

Wrong vinyl fanboy.

Get your facts straight.

The act of putting a sharp needle upon the surrfice of an LP and then revolving it is inherently destructive.

Even if you take great care of your LP's, they will wear a little every time they are played.

That's life, and you should get one.

Next.

Explain that one to my father who has been collecting records for over 50 years and still has his original records and which still play beautifully.

Neil - who thinks Steef should change his name to "Fraud Thaxton"

My very first CD as the Polydor release of ROTJ, back in 85 or 86. The disc was manufactured in West Germany. So for fun, I dug it out a couple of nights ago, after reading a similar post on FSM, just to check. Sure enough, plays like the first time.

I think a certain amount of CD rot can be attested to the care given to discs by their owners. I have always returned them to their cases after playing, never used a carrying case for them at any time. The only thing I put into CD carrying cases are the CD-Rs I burn for use in my car and walkman. These, I am finding are indeed starting to skip... But, hey, I always meant for them to be disposable anyway so...

BK: Who never takes professionl CDs out of the apartment since his walkman and discs were stolen on his birhtday two years ago. :?

I own several very old CD's

They play fine.

CD rotting is more a problem associated by flaws in the manufacturing process then anything else i think.

Despite what vinyl loving geeks try to make you believe, vinyl is dead.

and i'm glad for it.

It's not dead yet. 180 gram pressings are the latest thing. I don't think I ever owned a 180 gram LP. I know several shops that live off newly sold vinyl.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Why is it that each time I rent a DVD the surface is smeared with dirty fingerprints, pizza leftovers and unspeakable bodily fluids? Am I the only one who treats rentals with respect?

MY DVD player even has troubles with rental discs sometimes because of the scratches and smears.

I'm suprised rental stores take DVD's back like that.

And i'm even more shocked that they rent them out to outer people in that condition.

And i'm even more shocked that they rent them out to outer people in that condition.

That's right! They just sit there behind the counter gazing at a TV screen. Is it too much trouble for them to keep them clean? Also, whether they are mine or rentals, I always hold a CD/DVD by the edges while trying not to touch the shiny surface. It has become an automatism. I'm planning on keeping my CDs till the day I die and, who knows, maybe I CAN take them with me.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'm planning on keeping my CDs till the day I die and, who knows, maybe I CAN take them with me.

Wouldn't you be happier leaving them to me? ROTFLMAO

Neil

I'm planning on keeping my CDs till the day I die and, who knows, maybe I CAN take them with me.

Wouldn't you be happier leaving them to me? ROTFLMAO

Neil

Why? they are not vinyl...

ROTFLMAO

Why is it that each time I rent a DVD the surface is smeared with dirty fingerprints, pizza leftovers and unspeakable bodily fluids? Am I the only one who treats rentals with respect?

Ahh yes, if your DVD doesn't play properly, go to the video shop and complain, they will give you another rental for free.