I've seen Prisoner of Azkaban (spoiler free)

diskobolus

It must be a vastly different experience having read the books first.

However, I feel I am in the better position. After all unlike you guys I font know the story going in so I get to experience it fresh in the movie. Added benefit.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But unlike us, you can't sit there thrilled for hours trying to figure out what's going on, only to be taken completely by surprise at the end nonetheless. Compared to the book, the movie is simpler than simple.

Marian - who has been saying that for years. :wave:

No. The movies are linear. The books basically have all the information you need in the first few chapters, and during the rest of the book, you're trying to fit them all together. Only you (or at least I) never come to the right conclusion.

The books are among the most complex and thrilling Whodunnits I know. The movies, the third most of all, are entertaining and all, but they nearly don't touch about that major quality of the books at all.

Marian - who will read them again.

I was wondering how that whole "Rat guy" thing was handled in the books. In the movies it was kind of corny thinking this friggin rodent was really a man who was a party to the murder of Harry's parents all that time.

Was that handled better in the books?

Yes, it was. The books really explain that there was this group of 4 close friends... James Potter, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew. The other 3 friends soon learn that Lupin is a werewolf, so the three of them learn to be animagi to help him out every month - James became a stag, Sirius a dog, and Peter a rat. The 4 of them called themselves the Marauder's, and the Marauder's Map is theirs (James is Prongs, Sirius is Padfoot, Peter is Wormtail and Remus is Moony). When Voldemort decided that he wanted to kill James & Lilly Potter (for reasons not explained until the 5th book), he couldn't do so because James & Lilly were protected by a magic spell where a single person, known as a secret keeper, was the only one that could say where they were. If the secret keeper didn't tell you, you could be right next to them and not know it. Sirius Black was their secret keeper, but when they found of Voldemort wanted to kill James & Lilly, he asked Peter to become the secret keeper instead because he was afraid if Voldemort captured and tortured him he might break. That was a bad idea because by that point, Peter was working for Lord Voldemort. So it was because of Peter that Voldemort was able to kill Harry's parents.

After James & Lilly's death, Sirius found Peter and confronted him in the street. Sirius knew that Peter had turned Harry's parents over to Voldemort. Just as Sirius cast an attack spell on Peter, Peter yelled out "How could you betray James and Lilly!", blew up the street behind him, killing 20 innocent muggles, cut off his own finger, and slid away as a rat into the sewers. The Ministry of Magic captured Sirius, accused him of killing Peter, the muggles, and turning Harry's parents over to Voldemort.

So Sirius spent 12 years in prison knowing that he was completely innocent.

Oh, also, the reason he knew that Peter was still alive? The Minister of Magic visited him in Azkaban one day and left a newspaper behind. The newspaper happened to be the one that we saw in the beginning of the movie - with the Weasleys on their vacation in Egypt. Scabbers was in the photo, and Sirius of course recognized him. The newspaper mentioned that Ron was going back to Hogwarts, so for the last few nights that Sirius was in Azkaban, he was heard saying "He's at Hogwarts" over and over again. Everybody assumed he was talking about Harry, but he was really talking about Peter.

So that's the Minister of Magic didn't get Harry in trouble for blowing up his Aunt... even though he should be in trouble by rights.... and why he had Dementors stationed around Hogwarts. Cornelius Fudge (the Minister of Magic) is all about saving face and making sure everything makes him look good. There was no way he was going to let Harry Potter die on his watch.

The books, especially from 3 on, are a lot deeper than the movies :music:

Oh one last thing... You know the flying motorcycle that Hagrid rides in the opening scene of the first Harry Potter movie? That is Sirius Black's bike ROTFLMAO

William,now that you seem to really like the films,maybe you should take the time to read the books.I'm not much of a reader myself but I had trouble letting those down once I srarted.

K.M.

Sirius Black was their secret keeper, but when they found of Voldemort wanted to kill James & Lilly, he asked Peter to become the secret keeper instead because he was afraid if Voldemort captured and tortured him he might break.  and turning Harry's parents over to Voldemort.

Actually, just to be nitpicky... :mrgreen:

Sirius wasn't afraid of breaking, he thought it was too obvious that he should be the Secret Keeper, and that no one would think that they would trust someone like Wormtail with that responisibility.

Actually it's not really nitpicking, that's an important part of Sirius' character; he's not at all a coward, and as he says, he would've died rather than betray his friends.

Ray Barnsbury

sound to me like jason62858246593871 needs to read the books again, because he couldn't be more wrong.

Actually, just to be nitpicky... :pukeface:  

Sirius wasn't afraid of breaking, he thought it was too obvious that he should be the Secret Keeper, and that no one would think that they would trust someone like Wormtail with that responisibility.

You are absolutely right.... I knew what I was typing wasn't exactly right but I didn't have the books nearby to check

sound to me like jason62858246593871 needs to read the books again, because he couldn't be more wrong.

??

The sad part is that it would have only taken an extra 1 or 2 minutes to cover all that in the movie (or at least the gist of it)