newbie instrumentation question on harry potter

vinco

Hi there,

I'm wondering what the pitched percussion instrument is used on the main theme of each Harry Potter's episode. It doesn't sound like a celesta even though it's close!

Could somebody tell me what it is and give me more info about it?

Thanks!

Vincent

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, if it's a celesta, it's doubled with something.

celesta usually has a tighter sound.

Or maybe they processed the track at the mixing but it sound too huge for a celesta imho.

Vincent

I don't think it's synthesized. It was performed on Evening at Pops two years ago and sounded the same as on the CD.

Does the pedal have anything to do with it?

it really is a celesta. i have the score. its only celesta with pedals for the first bit. then later for the second version of the theme (GBGBGCBnaturalA#), there's a violin tremolos to backit up. Then theres the crazy string passage, followed by theme in Alto flute, English horn, basoon, vibes and harp. Hope this helps.

Beat me to it, tony69! I have the score too, and was also going to say that it is, in fact, a celesta (sometimes spelled "celeste").

Beat me to it, tony69!  I have the score too, and was also going to say that it is, in fact, a celesta (sometimes spelled "celeste").

I think your avatar is property of John Takis.

I think it's in octaves or maybe doubled with glock? I'll have to hear my CD again to be sure. You're right, it sounded different, but it's definitely a celeste.

Just celeste. Pedal on (as in "ringing" mode). The distant microphone placement gives it a soft attack.

It is celesta in the key of E minor. Williams uses this trick a lot to imply both magic and Christmas. Hook and Home Alone both have similar themes to open the movies for precisely the same reason. E minor celesta music has always been synonymous with magic/Christmas ever since Tchaikovsky first introduced the instrument to the orchestra in Nutcracker (Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy is celesta in E-minor. Hey presto...Christmas magic!).