Favourite Harry Potter Film?

Which is your favourite Harry Potter film?  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone
    • Chamber of Secrets
    • Prisoner of Azkaban
    • Can't decide

Sorcerer's Stone is still my favorite because it maintains that sense of wonder and amazement for the entire film. John Williams' score certainly helped.

Now it is starting to seem familiar. POA was still a good film, but the story has become less "Harry Potter in school" and become "Harry Potter, super sleuth." Do the kids do any learning anymore, or do they just go around the campus solving mysteries?

In Sorcerer's Stone you get how fantastic it is to be a wizard or witch, as well as try to uncover the mystery ofHarry's past. And the Quidditch match and the chess game are still the greatest HP sequences put on film.

Jeff -- who will watch POA again but doubts his opinion will change

So you would think it a good idea to maintain the "wonder" aspect in all the films? that would be very awkward. When re-watching PS now that I know the movie and the book almost inside out, the "wonder of discovery of the magical world" effect is becoming somewhat tiresome and annoying, everytime there is something slightly magical and the camera stares at it along with Harry for 10 seconds.... It's becoming more of a virtual theme park than a consistent movie. The books go the same way, magic is becoming normal (as it is for Harry) and I really like the "everyday magic" athmosphere in PoA.

And, regarding the lessons: Of course the kids continue having lessons, but is it really necessary to show every one of them? No, it isn't. It's like "Hey the kids don't seem to ever have to pee, you never see them go to the loo!" The story is not about the kids having lessons. It's just a part of the story, and the lessons where something important to the plot happens should be shown (as the divination lesson, the first DADA lesson, snape's DADA lesson etc.). But showing lessons for lessons sake is just another one of those "I want the whole book on screen" things. The movie is not supposed to be the illustrated companion to the book. Would you rather see a movie where the plot is a bit condensed to contain the important stuff, and have a few lessons for background, or do you want a movie full of lessons, where not much else happens (because there's no time for it)? (Skip the "Everything should be in it, th movie should be 6 hours long!")

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm usually very fussy and the first to complain about those things,but I thought Buckbeak's Flight was just loud enough.It could have been louder,like E.T. goes over the moon loud,but it was loud enough not to have a underdramatic effect.When music intended to be loud isn't,it creates the opposite mood it's supposed to create in the first place,and I did not feel that way here.

Sometimes it's the individual theater volume level and speaker placement that can have an effect...it varies a lot from theater to theater.And some cinemas lower the volume during the afternoon showings.

K.M.

As for the screening I went to on Wednesday, the sound mix was horrible and the whole experience was marred for me by kids. Perhaps due to the fact that I went to the dubbed version because kids can't read subtitles, but we couldn't almost hear the dialogues, let alone the music. The only scene that had a reasonable volume was Quiddich, but the rest was barely audible.

I'll have to go to see it to another town to enjoy or wait until September when it opens in my town where we have a fantastic theatre and we'll have the option to watch un-dubbed version of the film in the late-night screenings.

Anyway, the movie is pure classic to me, although I haven't read the books and I have thus missed a lot of things, but I loved it despite that. It's my most fav movie since "Jurassic Park" and I have only seen it once.

But the score from John Williams is a real treat. Buckbeak Flight is on par with E.T.'s flying theme, at least it is how it works with me and the whole other parts of the score are fantastic. I never heard any similarity between the Knight Bus and CMIYC, which is of which I have read somewhere as a slight drawback, but that's okay.

I haven't enjoyed Williams' score this much since E.T. !!!!!!!!

I bought it the day I went to the movie and listened to it a couple of times since. It's just incredible. Although there's nothing literally copied from Star Wars, I had a similar feeling from a number of cues (in the film).

Dementors Converge is my favorite piece of music as is any music each time werewolf appear on the screen. Flying sequence is musically classic Williams and if it's not considered to be among you, I'm not a real JW Fan.

Well, I have seen dubbed version into Czech so I'm not familiar with English names of characters and places, so forgive if I refer to them wrongly. For example, as I understood Dementors were translated into Czech in a way that could be back translated into English as Brain-gluttons.

Well, I'll stop here. I don't mean to review the score (it's still too soon to do but also...) because it was done much better by many of you, but let me just say that it's a brilliant work not any worse that E.T., Star Wars or Close Encounters (of which I was reminded a couple of times as well).

All in all, this score for Harry Potter is less Potterish than Attack of the Clones and Attack of the Clones sounds being less Star Wars than is Prisoner of Azkaban. Confusing, maybe, but at least this is how the music left me impressed.

***** out of 5

Roman, you-know-who.-)

P.S. Daniel as Harry finally showed he can act.

I like Gambon's character in Prisoner of Azkaban, but that character is not Dumbledore.

Whereas I feel that in Gambon we're finally getting the Dumbledore I always imagined while reading the books.

Whereas I feel that in Gambon we're finally getting the Dumbledore I always imagined while reading the books.

I agree, but I dislike his nasal voice, as I've said before.

I agree, but I dislike his nasal voice, as I've said before.

I like how is voice is stronger and clearer than Harris's. I always imagined Dumbledore with a powerful (and equally gentle) voice that belied his great age.

Ray Barnsbury

I like how is voice is stronger and clearer than Harris's.  I always imagined Dumbledore with a powerful (and equally gentle) voice that belied his great age.

True, but Gambon's voice is still not very nice to listen to. It's not a Fran Drescher level, but it can get annoying.

I must add, however, that the performance was spot-on. Remember how he shushed Hermione and Harry once they had freed Sirius? That's Albus Dumbledore.

Yeah, I love that little thing. And he was also perfect diverting Fudge and MacNair's eyes away from Buckbeak "....Dippet planted those...yes, and there are the strawberries....". Great.

I think his voice is just fine for it. And since I've loved Gambon for a while, that voice means good stuff to me ;) (He was wonderful in Gosford Park)

I didn't like how Gambon's hair as Dumbledore was slightly more gray, than Harris' Dumbledore.

I didn't like how Gambon's fingernails as Dumbledore were slightly longer than Harris' Dumbledore's nails.

I thought Gambon's walk as Dumbledore was more masculine and virile compared to Harris' Dumbledore.

I didn't like how Gambon's hair as Dumbledore was slightly more gray, than Harris' Dumbledore.  

I didn't like how Gambon's fingernails as Dumbledore were slightly longer than Harris' Dumbledore's nails.

I thought Gambon's walk as Dumbledore was more masculine and virile compared to Harris' Dumbledore.

LOL

"Right, I'm stopping this sketch. It's silly!"- Monty Python

Gambon would not look good or natural with totaly White hair IMO.

I agree.

Gambon would not look good or natural with totaly White hair IMO.

I agree.

I was being facetious.

I see my sarcasm was too subtle.