Did JW read the books?

Here's a random HP question I just thought of: Did Williams read the books prior to writing the scores? I remember an article that mentioned he read SS before starting work on it and he loved it. So did he continue and at least read COS and POA before working on them?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he wrote Hedwig's Theme after reading the first book. I like to think that Hedwig's Theme was inspired by the book(s), and Harry's Wondrous World was inspired by the movie.

I think, at the very least, he read the book when he was asked to do the movie.

Well, Hedwig's Theme expands on the Prologue, which was written for the teaser.

And he's called the books several times 'wonderful'. So yes, he's read the books.

Question answered. Thanks everyone. :wave:

I think he wrote Hedwig's Theme after reading the first book. I like to think that Hedwig's Theme was inspired by the book(s), and Harry's Wondrous World was inspired by the movie.

I like that theory.

I think Harry's Wonderous World was inspired by the books, and Hedwig's Theme was inspired by the Trailer/movie.

And Fawkes I'd like to believe that was inspired by the book, and not the ugly puppet from the film.

Hedwig's Theme was probably inspired by the book I think. I have never heard a piece of filmmusic that so perfectly captured so many facets from the original novel.

I think he's the only adult crew member who didn't do the film because their children/grandchildren told them too :wave:

Hedwig's Theme was probably inspired by the book I think. I have never heard a piece of filmmusic that so perfectly captured so many facets from the original novel.

YES! That one piece is the summation of all things potter movies, books or otherwise.

Definately. One of the very few (maybe the only) themes from a movie that transfered onto the book. Hedwig's Theme is part of the Harry Potter world, in every sense.

BTW- anyone know of places where JK mantioned JW or the music?

Actually I'm pretty sure I read that his grandchildren did beg him to do it. And I'd be very interested in hearing what Jo has to say about the HP music as well.

Ray Barnsbury

I think he's the only adult crew member who didn't do the film because their children/grandchildren told them too :thumbup:

His grandchildren were the reason Williams read the books in the first place. I can't remember if they were a Christmas present (unlike, I'd remember that), a regular present, or possibly he was just interested, seeing how everybody in his family was reading them. Something among those lines. I know he mentioned the books and then his grandchildren in an interview.

I dunno, Horner's been saying that he was asked first, but turned it down in order to do A Beautiful Mind. Oh, and he also said he turned down LoTR.

I dunno, Horner's been saying that he was asked first, but turned it down in order to do A Beautiful Mind. Oh, and he also said he turned down LoTR.

If it's true, thank God. But I doubt it is. :thumbup:

Well, HP makes sense. He worked with Columbus on his last movie before HP&SS, and It also makes sense that he'd feel more obligated to Howard, and he was perfectly suited for ABM. I Don't see his LoTR connection though. Can't think of a single connection he might've had with that project, and if Horner got offered just like that, he probably wouldn't be the first one approached, and definately not the last one. Since as of 99' or 2000', the pecking order was not James Horner than Howard Shore.

oh yeah,I remember at the time first Williams said he might do it,then Horner was supposed to do PS...then suddenly it Williams again.Stefancos even doubted Hedwig's Theme was written by Williams when we got the Teaser,

K.M.