Shark Tale

JWFAN4LIFE

Well, I went to see Shark Tale tonight (by the way it was a funny movie, highly recommend it) and to my surprise what did I hear but JW music!!!!! :( In the opening of the movie there are bits of the theme from jaws playing. And one of the sharks even makes a refernce to the music, which I found very funny.

I guess you just never know where you are going to find a little bit of JW music these days. :(

jwfan4life

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes,I saw it too(I saw 2 movies today,this and Shawn of the Dead).I can't believe Hans Zimmer used JW's Jaws theme,he also developped it a little(I'm guessing it's Hans Zimmer,or one of his ghostwriters)

K.M.

The designing of this movie looks terrible. I also notice how the critics are pulverizing it to fish food. Never seen such crushing reviews.

The designing of this movie looks terrible. I also notice how the critics are pulverizing it to fish food. Never seen such crushing reviews.

You must get out more. The movie is recieving those crushing reviews mostly in relation to other CGI movies, and due to the fact that most kids wouldn't get it. The movie does indeed look not good. The animation looks fine, nothing great, the music sounds boring and derivitave (as many comedy scores do), the movie seems obssessed to an insane degree with pop culture.

But the movie was not aiming to be Finding Nemo. It was aiming to make the same money (which of course it won't), but it was not at all aiming to be that movie. To me, it looks like an unbiased person would give it an average score. Me being biased towards Dreamworks and Zimmer, I'd probably give it a higher score, and the rest of you being biased towards Pixar would probably give ti a much lower score. Like Monsters Inc. Probably an average movie, I found it unfunny and desparate, where as many of you found it to be very funny and adorable.

Notice already over here, one person liked it, one person didn't, and the people attacking the movie before seeing it (Alex, Stefan) and those defending it before seeing it (me, myself and I) are the same people who've said the same things in the past about the movie. (It seems the same thing with The Incredibles, which to me looks poorly designed, unoriginal, unfunny but to others here it looks fantastic. Even though Eddie Murphy did the 'where's my supersuit' joke on SNL 20 years ago.)

As I said, the movie doesn't look good, but we need some perspective. The fact that it's not as good as we've come to expect from Computer animation and the fact that people are comparing it to Finding Nemo does not mean this is a horrible, terrible movie.

I'm not attacking the movie. I'm stating facts! It's critically the most crushed CGI animation movie ever. From the beginning you stood up for this movie. Now that the bad reviews are piling up you seem to be raising your Dreamworks boxing gloves even higher then ever.

EDIT: Wait a minute, could it be that Ebert loves this film?

Notice already over here, one person liked it, one person didn't, and the people attacking the movie before seeing it (Alex, Stefan)

I did not attack the film, I merely stated my dislike of the animation style in the few scenes I saw.

As I expected. In terms of myself, I'd give it a solid ***. If I were reviewing it for the general public, I'd give it a **1/2.

It had quite a few terrible stuff. All the recent pop culture references were quite horrid. Will Smith's constant use of....ebonics (most of which is quite outdated) was terrible. However, Most of the DeNiro/Scorsese stuff I loved. Basicaly, most of the movie about the sharks I loved, the whole mafia thing. I do wish Dreamworks would get out of their infatuation with pop culture (only evident in the ones from this year, the first Shrek had none of that), and then IMO they'd blow stuff like Monsters Inc. and seemingly The Incredibles out of the water (not Finding Nemo, that's on a whole different level).

I think they've got half the formula, they've got animated films that are mostly for adults, but they've got to work hard on getting the stuff to work on two levels, for kids and adults. The great Disney animated movies and the Pixar films work on more or less the same level for people of all ages. With the Dreamworks ones, there's a VERY clear division between the kids humor and the adults one. IMO, they've got the adults one basicaly worked out, but the failing on the kids level is what's producing sub-standard movies like Shark Tale (unlike Shrek 2, which I think was totaly successful in it's efforts).

So, a recap of my opinion on Computor animated movies to date (something you've all been waiting for):

Toy Story- 7.75

A Bug's Life- 9.00

Antz- 6.00-6.25

Toy Story 2- 8.25

Shrek- 9.5

Monsters Inc.- 3.5

Ice Age- 6.75

Finding Nemo- 9.00-9.25

Shrek 2- 8.5

Shark Tale- 7.00

Oh, and BTW Alex- if you're interested, one of the only other reviewers I do respect gave this a good review, so you could go on believing you theory- James Berardinelli's Reel Views.

So, a recap of my opinion on Computor animated movies to date (something you've all been waiting for):

Toy Story- 7.75

A Bug's Life- 9.00

Antz- 6.00-6.25

Toy Story 2- 8.25

Shrek- 9.5

Monsters Inc.- 3.5

Ice Age- 6.75

Finding Nemo- 9.00-9.25

Shrek 2- 8.5

Shark Tale- 7.00

What do you know? I never get to say this but, hey, I agree totally.

Toy Story- 7.75

A Bug's Life- 9.00

Antz- 6.00-6.25

Toy Story 2- 8.25

Shrek- 9.5

Monsters Inc.- 3.5

Ice Age- 6.75

Finding Nemo- 9.00-9.25

Shrek 2- 8.5

Shark Tale- 7.00

And what do you know...except for Toy Story, I disagree completely.

What do you know, with the exception of Monster's INC and Ice Age I disagree with roughly 40% of the options. Were as 20% I agree with. The remaining 40% is taken up by thoughts on what Chocolate Chip cookies with out the chocolate chips would be called.

Justin

And what do you know...except for Toy Story, I disagree completely.

Care for offering your own appraisal? I'm very interested in seeing other's graphs.