does jdub pocket themes?

stuttersteps

do you think the maestro has ever come up w/ a theme, but for whatever reason decided not to use it for whichever film/project he was working on. so then he stuffs it in his backpocket for possible later use, if the appropriate situation or film ever arose?

anyone know of any instance of this? even w/ any film composer?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. But I believe it's not uncommon. As I understand it, David Arnold used some previous work from a rejected score for Independence Day. There are probably more examples.

BTW, what's up with "jdub"? Sounds like a Jennifer Lopez clone. ;)

- Marc

I always wondered about this,maybe sometimes he's walking in the Tanglewoods and when he stares at his favourite tree,a theme pops in his head and he sais:Hey,that would be great for Episode 3,I'll jolt it down.

Hopefully he's been working on the Anakin-Obi Wan duel for the last 20 years.

K.M.

Hopefully he's been working on the Anakin-Obi Wan duel for the last 20 years.

Well, he certainly started scoring it in Ep. I. :)

I wouldn't be surprised that he would reuse old ideas that didn't make the cut. Further developed and improved, of course. ;)

One of the most well known incedents of a composer re-using music is Jerry Goldsmith's score for The Russia House, a personal fave I might add. It is known that much of the theme from that film is based on his rejected score to the movie Alien Nation.

And, not for nothing Neil, how is it that a poster that has 17 posts to his credit is labeled a "veteran" while I, who have 21 times the number of posts he has, am still known as a mere "regular poster"??? ;)

BKL : pissed!

Not really pissed, just curious actually.... LOL

do you think the maestro has ever come up w/ a theme, but for whatever reason decided not to use it for whichever film/project he was working on. so then he stuffs it in his backpocket for possible later use, if the appropriate situation or film ever arose?

anyone know of any instance of this?  even w/ any film composer?

Acording to Williams own words, as he stated that in more than one interview, he only thinks about the music is writting during that time. He may store the unused bits, but aparently he don't goes back to them, at least, not conciously. A famous example is the 350 5-note motifs he wrote for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. After selecting the one they used, he stored all the others along with all his other score sketches, and never got back to them to use them in another situation -- or at least, so he said.

Regarding Peter Pan/Hook project, maybe they got back to those simply because: a) the project was almost the same; B) as I understand, the all project was made of last minute decisions, and Williams had not much time to write a full new score and songs for it.

Nevertheless, that must be a unique ocasion.

But for the record, I do belive he do re-use some ideas, maybe without even noticing. One thing that I've been wondering for a few years now is a little passage from his second Violin Concerto "TreeSong" (don't know if we can really call it a concerto...), that seems to be taken from his first Violin Concerto. Maybe just a coincidence...

And, not for nothing Neil, how is it that a poster that has 17 posts to his credit is labeled a "veteran" while I, who have 21 times the number of posts he has, am still known as a mere "regular poster"??? ;)

He's not from Canada.

:)

Actually, I believe Ricard set up "Veteran" status for anyone who has been with the board through 2 moves. That means the EZ Board and the IKON board before this one.

Neil

Actually, I believe Ricard set up "Veteran" status for anyone who has been with the board through 2 moves.  That means the EZ Board and the IKON board before this one.

I remember the IKON board being brand new when I first showed up.

Bloody technicalities... ;)

Justin

Alex North used his rejected 2001 score in several subsequent scores.

Elmer Bernstein incorporated a portion of Herrmann's rejected Torn Curtain score into his adaptation of Cape Fear for Martin Scorcese.

Rumor has it that "The March of the Villains" from Superman - The Movie was based off of an early concept for the Jawas.

Neil

I don't know. But I believe it's not uncommon. As I understand it, David Arnold used some previous work from a rejected score for Independence Day. There are probably more examples.

BTW, what's up with "jdub"? Sounds like a Jennifer Lopez clone. :P

- Marc

Arnold re-used his rejected theme from CutThroat Island as his "Cropduster" theme in ID4.

-Erik-