New TPM music discovered -- need opinions.

Henry B

Hey guys, remember the Phantom Menace "Ultimate Edit"? This is Elvisjones' guide to making your Ultimate Edit CD. Great, except...it hasn't been updated since 1999. I figured there might be more music waiting to be found, so I investigated recent Star Wars game releases, and I was right. There are a few new clips in Star Wars: Starfighter and Star Wars: Galaxies, which I will be posting about soon, but the focus of this thread is Star Wars: Obi-Wan. While the other two games have a few new short transitions, clean endings, etc., Obi-Wan has lengthy clips of completely new music. Mark Griskey is credited with composing a little bit of music for this game, but I believe all he did was compose the LucasArts credit montage at the beginning, which has a very MIDI feel. These clips I've found -- I'm 99% sure they're Williams. Now, the thing about music in Obi-Wan is that it's terribly edited. Sometimes three or four cues are combined within twenty seconds of time. There are very few long, uninterrupted cues. Anyway, the new music is:

- An unknown piece of music; very melancholy, perhaps for one of the Coruscant scenes. It is preceded by a part of "Boarding the Federation Battleship" and followed by the end of "Anakin's Test" (with a clean ending). It flows pretty smoothly, but there's no way this could all be in its original order.

- An extended note following "Escape from Naboo." I dunno. It doesn't sound very Williams-ish...

- An alternate version of "Qui-Gon's Death." About ten seconds long. The difference is that there's now a choir screaming "Korah!" over Qui-Gon's death. This one I think may have been done by the game designers (layering a piece of "Duel of the Fates" over it).

- Less likely to have been modified by the game designers is an alternate version of "Obi-Wan Defeats Darth Maul." There are several additions to the orchestration, instruments that are borderline sound effects, but what's most interesting is a prolonged choir chord layered over the bit where Maul falls down the reactor shaft. This seems hard to fake, and I think it may be a genuine alternate cue.

PM me for the files; hopefully we'll be able to figure something out. The first cue is particularly perplexing.

I followed the progress of Obi-Wan as it was developed, and it was meant to be the next Jedi Knight game, but something went wrong; the PC version was cancelled, and it was turned into a mediocre Xbox game. It has the feeling of a very rushed development. This might explain why the music is so chopped up.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- An unknown piece of music; very melancholy, perhaps for one of the Coruscant scenes. It is preceded by a part of "Boarding the Federation Battleship" and followed by the end of "Anakin's Test" (with a clean ending). It flows pretty smoothly, but there's no way this could all be in its original order.

I have just heard this clip and can confirm that there is approx. 10 seconds of totally new music! It definately sounds like Coruscant music. In fact, I think it might be an alternate to that short, beautiful "Corscant sunset" bit. (UE disc 2, track 7, about 1:33ish-1:45ish)

All right, this is great. I'll have all the files sent by tomorrow, Johns Crichton and Takis already have copies, maybe they can tell you about them.

That Coruscant clip is intriguing! I suspect that it may be an alternate cue for the first scene transition to the Senate (end of The High Council Meeting after Anakin speaks to the queen) or part of the alternate He Is The Chosen One.

Whoa. There's an entire alternate "He Is the Chosen One"?

Is someone out there making a new boot with this new stuff?  

Is there a place where I can download these clips?

I am working on a new boot, it should be out within a couple months, but in the meantime, I can e-mail you the files.

Whoa. There's an entire alternate "He Is the Chosen One"?
Is someone out there making a new boot with this new stuff?  

Is there a place where I can download these clips?

I am working on a new boot, it should be out within a couple months, but in the meantime, I can e-mail you the files.

If you would be so kind....I'll PM you.

Update: I am sending the music files from Galaxies and Starfighter as well (don't worry about asking again; I've already resent the ZIP to everyone).

Frustrating how it's faded into those other cues. I'm pretty sure that excerpt from "Boarding the Federation Battleship" doesn't belong, but do you think this was intended to flow into what is now the end of "Anakin's Test"?

Sorry for the delay, but I will not be able to send out the files until Saturday. In the mean time, though, here's some food for thought:

I can confirm that what some people believed to be the original version of "The Battle Begins," found in the TPM game as "sqfight5.imc" is in fact music for a cut scene where Obi-Wan wades through the swamps of Naboo while fighting away Trade Federation droids. This was previously suspected because of the way it appears on the OST and Episode I Insider's Guide, but through examination of various edits in Jedi Power Battles and Starfighter, I am 99% sure this piece in fact follows "Trade Federation Invasion."

Oh, and a reminder: please specify your e-mail address when PMing me so that I can e-mail you the files, because the board's upload system isn't working for me.

That's good that it's not working for you since this site shouldn't be responsible for directly supplying illicit mp3s.

Neil

Funny that the mere existence of this site was more or less a thing like that :mrgreen:

My offer still stands; PM me if you want the music.

You will definitely have to make another edit. :mrgreen: Not only is there new music, but new edits found in videogames are proving that the Elvisjones edit has incorrect sequencing in many places, especially the Battle of Naboo. Heh, there's even some music in the TPM game that he completely overlooked! It's an extension to "Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan Rescue the Queen."