What is Media Ventures

In another post, I saw someone mention Media Ventures in a roundabout relation to John Williams (an analogy I think). I think I know what it is, but I'm curious. Is it a group of composers (Zimmer and some others) in a business that provides filmmusic to various media? Is it canned music? What is the purpose of it all if I'm way off the mark? Some of the mentions I've seen of it online have been less than flattering, so it's caught my curiousity.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Media Ventures in a roundabout relation to John Williams (an analogy I think).

I wonder what kind of relation that might have been. :)

Marian - who only likes very few MV scores.

A friend of mine works there and now he's moved up to be one of the composers. It is owned and run by Zimmer and he has a stable of composers, orchestrators and engineers working to get movie after movie out. Some of the composers get their own gigs after being there for a while and just work under the banner but most work directly for Zimmer on the films he is working on.

What is Media Ventures?

It's the end of film scoring as we know it. Take for instance their creation of library music that any director can purchase much cheaper than hiring a composer and use in their movie. This is bad because we'll get more movies like TPM and AOTC with all the music editing. Not to mention Media Ventures is all based on the Zimmer sound, which I personally am not too fond of. The concept of Media Ventures is an abandonment of originality in film music.

But they'll die out, just like the jazz movement in the 60's did.

Confused because virtually everyone at school is a jazz musician, and it probably is the most popular form of music in the region, especially among musicians.

I want MP3's!!!!!!! What are they of?

I'll tell you something about Media Ventures, they have the best sounding orchestra samples... I think that's about it as far as the compliments go... no no, I have to say that at least Zimmer has people working for him but then gets them to a point to go off on their own as composers, I don;t know many other composers that do that. I'm not quite sure what they have to do to get there.... But some of them do get to compose after a while and become their own composers. But yes, a lot of the compositions are not Zimmers own on his movies. That goes with the territory over there. There are some films where his name is on the title credits but the compositions are someone elses. The studios just want his name if he is too busy to do the whole thing because his name is so big. He would then probably compose the main title and the rest is handed to others.

You could ask Zimmer at his web site. And how dare others get credited as a work by Zimmer!

BTW, the mp3's are of ET original release :)

Steefy???

Yes Steefy. Or Steefy boy :)

Or even.....

....Steefy lad! :)

Justin -Likeing that Steefy lad thing more and more.... Muhhahahahahahahaa!!!! :) ROTFL :)

:jump:

;) ROTJ

Thanks for all the info! It's what I figured it was...sounds really homoginized. I've read criticism of Danny Elfman for orchestration work done in his name by Shirley Walker. That's nothing compared to what it sounds like Media Ventures is doing. Cookie cutter scores. Authorized plagerism. What will they think of next?