Italian Instrument in Crusade

Hi. This may be a tough question...but since I can't figure it out...I'm sure someone here has got to know! Can anyone tell me the name of the instrument John Williams uses in the piece "Escape from Venice" from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? It's easy to pick out...it comes in with a traditional italian melody shortly into the piece. Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking that, since I recently got the CD.

It sounded to me much more Greek than Italian, but I'm no expert. I don't remember the name of the instrument I'm thinking of though.

It could be a Ondioline or synth. Ondioline is an old 60's electronic instrument with a similar sound. I have a golden age old score which uses it. :)

Perhaps a Ukelele? (Heck I don't know how to spell the dang thing what do you think I am a dictinary?? :) )

Justin - :)

Yes, it IS a mandolin. From the non-italian point of view, it's considered a kind of "quintessential" italian sound, albeit it's a huge clichè. I think that Williams used that instrument in a humorous manner, a sort of musical joke as Indy said "Ah, Venice...". I always found it funny and spirited.

Maurizio -- who knows what a mandolin is because he's Italian :)

Christ, of course it's a mandolin!

Venice...

Vivaldi...

DUH!!!!

Figo, who knows what a mandolin is because he's not an imbecile... like Morn. :twisted:

Why hire a mandolin player when you can use synth? I imagine they are harder to come by than stand orchestra players :mrgreen: Besides, it sounds like they are using more than one.

I can imagine this conversation with Williams and his orchestrator....

That melody has a expanded version in midi in the Lucasarts adventure game Indiana Jones and the Last crusade.

In that game, you can also hear a very cool development of the catacombs theme, and it turns out to be an amazing theme.

Have you guys heard these midis?

Why hire a mandolin player when you can use synth? I imagine they are harder to come by than stand orchestra players ;) Besides, it sounds like they are using more than one.

But it's John Williams, I'm sure he can get anyone and anything he wants.

-Jason

There are more mandolin players than you think, Morn. So-called "early music" is very much in demand these days -- although if you ask me, if you've heard one Vivaldi concerto, you've heard them all. ;)

Yes, it definitely sounds as if there is more than one mandolin. I suppose if they really wanted to cheap-out (shave a few cents off the already multi-million dollar budget), they could have simply resorted to overdubbing.

Figo, severely doubting that was the case.

What you said shows that the stereotype that all european people dislike americans is true. :)

-Jason, who has to watch his back from now on because the europeans outnumber the americans

I believe that's a balilaka (SP?). It's a southeastern Europe ethnic instrument, and in Russia, they have entire Symphonies formed of just balilakas and percussion.

The Ghoest- With another (nearly) useless fact.

It's not. Why would Williams employ balalaikas in a Venetian chase scene, when the mandolin is so strongly identified with Venetian musical history? It was practically THE secular instrument of choice for Vivaldi, Lotti, and innumerable others associated with San Marco in the baroque era. What's more stereotypically Venetian, a gondolier with his mandolin, or a vacationing Osipov folk musician drifting down the Grand Canal with his trusty balalaika?

Figo, listening to a disc of Neopolitan mandolin concertos -- by Paisiello, Lecce, and Giuliani -- from nearly half a century later.

I was thinking that it was a lute, and was prepared to assert that fact.

But it's probably a mandolin. The mandolin, according to Webster's Dictionary, is "a musical instrument of the lute family, with four to six pairs of strings stretched over a fretted neck ... played with a plectrum, which is moved rapidly back and forth to give a tremolo effect.

The tremolo effect is a "rapid reiteration of the same tone," which is what is done on this cue.

So there you go. Game. Set. Match.

Jeff -- who learns something new every day

Yeah European. People who live in Europe.  

-Jason

You should have said the whole world :)

Yeah European. People who live in Europe.  

-Jason

You should have said the whole world :devil:

Now that i think of it, that is more accurate.

-Jason