Happy Birthday, Star Wars!

Lurker

May 25, 1977 was a great day in 43 theaters.

Happy birthday to the greatest one of all, the one that started it all and the one that will never be surpassed.

poster_anh8.jpg

Neil

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Birthday Star Wars!

-Jesse (who just realized that Neil follows the Sith rule of 2 in his appreciation of Star Wars movies. "Only 2 there are, Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.")

a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

May 25, 1977 was a great day in 43 theaters.

Happy birthday to the greatest one of all, the one that started it all and the one that will never be surpassed.

Neil

You don't think ESB is better?

Happy B-day Star Wars!! And Happy B-day to ROTJ, 22 years today!!

You don't think ESB is better?

Hell no!

Happy B-day to ROTJ, 22 years today!!

Please don't ruin this thread by mentioning that film. If you must, start your own thread for that nonsense.

Neil

I remember watching Star Wars back in 1977. I was 7, and I'd seen all the booklets and posters of the film ahead of time. I already knew that I would love the droids and Chewbacca the best. I remember being upset that it took so long for Chewie to appear! Of course as soon as the film ended I bugged my parents to buy me all 4 of the fold-out posters that were on sale in the cinema. One was the cockpit of the falcon, one was the two droids on Tattooine, one was Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers, and I forget what the other one was. I think I still have them somewhere. They are all torn, and slightly mouldy from being on a kid's bedroom wall for about 5 years! I also got the booklet that the cinema gaout with the movie. Wow, what a great day that was! The force was with me!

I too remember those posters, and likely own the one with the droids. I definitely have the booklet.

Happy Birthday to the most influential film of my childhood. Since the anniversary falls on a Wednesday, why didn't Lucasfilm make the sentimental choice and open "Sith" today?

Haven't seen it yet, but no doubt eventually will, although it may be too late to wrap myself in aluminum foil, as I had originally planned. :mrgreen: Been so busy (and so poor!), I was lucky to get the soundtrack the day before the opening.

By the way, I was at the Petco (pet supply store) a week or two ago. There is a television set suspended above the check-out counters on which they generally play movies. I glanced up from my transaction to see Obi-Wan shutting down the tractor beam and stood transfixed until Luke and Leia had swung across the chasm. It made me deeply nostalgic and profoundly wishful that THIS were the film about to open. Ah, that it could be 1977...

Great Ralph McQuarrie poster art, Neil!

I glanced up from my transaction to see Obi-Wan shutting down the tractor beam and stood transfixed until Luke and Leia had swung across the chasm.

By coincidence, I'm listening to that cue as I'm reading this. Williams never scored another Star Wars movie like this!

Neil

Happy B-day to ROTJ, 22 years today!!
Please don't ruin this thread by mentioning that film.  If you must, start your own thread for that nonsense.

Neil

Grump. :mrgreen:

I glanced up from my transaction to see Obi-Wan shutting down the tractor beam and stood transfixed until Luke and Leia had swung across the chasm.

By coincidence, I'm listening to that cue as I'm reading this. Williams never scored another Star Wars movie like this!

It goes without saying, Star Wars hit so many delirious high notes. As if (as an impressionable 10 year-old) I weren't already blown away by the opening shot of the star destroyer, the dual sunset on Tatooine, the jump to light speed, and the infiltration of Leia's cell block, the appearance of that grappling hook would have been enough. Williams' music tickled my pirate's heart into ecstasies. The marriage of image and music during the prison break, the chasm swing, and the initial descent of rebel forces on the Death Star -- if this wasn't the best swashbuckler in over thirty years, I'll be damned. The pace was giddy, the spirit light. There was nothing ponderous about it. It was simply the coolest adventure in all of modern cinema.

No, Luke Star Wars died April 10th, 1981.