Birds on the Fourth of July

Figo

Just aired the Boston Pops recording of Born on the Fourth of July for Memorial Day weekend. (I know, wrong holiday, but it's elegiac and anti-war.) Anyone else ever notice the bird "obliggato?"

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the music to Born on the Fourth of July but I don't understand the topic, bird "obligatto". Can somebody explain?

I reiterate: listen in a quiet room or through headphones.

Youth today. Everyone expects to be spoonfed.

Our culture = :)

Wow, I had no idea my question would be powerful enough to inspire commentary about the decline of Western culture. Your first presumption seems to be that your riddle is worthy of the time that it would take people to investigate. Your second presumption seems to be that you’re doing us a favor - we’ll be overwhelmed by a powerful sense of discovery, no doubt. A third presumption is that anybody who does the logical thing, and asks what you’re talking about is “young”. A fourth presumption is that young people deserve to be lumped together and given your scorn and condescension.

But its not a big deal - I don't have to know. Maybe next time I listen to it I'll remember to watch for that.

- Adam

I think that Adam's original question was appropriate. A polite answer would be appreciated. There's a difference between wanting to be spoonfed, and simply wanting to understand an obscure post.

bowdown

even I don't get the reference, the Birds had no score, maybe thats the point!

Joe, whose copy of BOTFOJ is now probably one with the dust, and its no great loss either.

no, I would like to understand as well, you have me intrigued and stumped, without a direction to understanding.

Since this is the third time I have to say it, I'll employ the quote function.

Listen in a quiet room or through headphones.

What is it that's so hard to understand?

Adam's right, though, it's hardly worth it. Merely an observation. I'll think twice before unnecessarily taxing everyone in the future.