"Signs" blows AOFT and Minority Report AWAY!

I have just seen the most entertaining film of the summer and I'm surprised to say it ain't by Lucas or Spielberg. Move over old guys because M. Night Shyamalan's "Signs" proves that this director has talent and a grasp of solid filmmaking that makes the Michael Bay's of the world wet their pants.

Of course, this is all my opinion but I thought such a subject heading would get people to check out this post. I really wish I preferred AOTC or Minority Report to Signs, but I'd be lying. Shyamalan's film has the best special effect of the summer: GOOD ACTING and a great premise. The execution of the story isn't perfect, but the suspense he builds from the beginning of the film is extraordinary. And James Newton Howard's music is in line with some of Herrmann's music for Hitchock but also reminds me of '70's Goldsmith in some of the aggressive cues (the Finale is the best cue I've heard in AGES).

Oh, and there's so much great humour in this film- but not stupid or silly humour found in a comedy but more dry, realistic humour by characters reacting to the strange events. Gibson seems a little unfortable in the role as a former preacher turned farmer, but Joaquin Phoenix is wonderful as his younger brother. In fact, he steals the show in my opinion. The sheriff, an actress whose name I cannot recall, is also quite good as are the two children (who act like kids and not irritating abnormally precocious "movie" brats you see all of the time).

Anyhow, I think "Signs" is well worth the price of admission. It's funny, moody, scary in places, moralistic, and philosophical. All the things that Minority Report tried to achieve (and did in some areas) and AOTC botched on all counts.

'nuff said.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hoped so, coming from Shyamalan.

I saw my own childhood when watching Sixth Sense (okay, so I didn't see dead people, but that's not what's important). And the dialogues and the direction, and the performances and the maaany subplots, just made almost perfect.

Unbreakable showed the same artistry and quality. But it also revealed that this guy is dangerous if he takes himself too seriously. And those endless beats get a little annoying. But the script is once again fantastic, great character development.

And now I have tosee Signs. I can't wait. I know this is gonna be the best. Better than Sixth Sense and more belivable than Unbreakable. I just know. I love this guy. I hope he keeps on making movies like these.

Oh, and please, hire a good composer. Howard's scores for him so far have been really good, and I own them both. But I know a good composer (not Williams, though, he wouldn't do good with these kind of movies) can get so much more from those wonderful scripts and characters.

Just my two cents.

-ROSS

i completely disagree. i saw Signs a few weeks ago at a press screening and though I liked it very much, and that it is better than Episode II, it doesn't come close to Minority Report. not by a long shot

and personally, I believe that James Newton is one of the most gifted composers alive today. He just unfortunately hasn't been given the oppurtunity to really show what he's got, and his score for Signs is very good and fits the film like a glove.

I agree, tpigeon, but only judging from the quality of his work, I don't really like him a huge amount though do quite like him :sigh:

He is a good composer. I was going to say something else, but I thought I'd get slammed by some people

Whats AOFT?

he meant AOTC.

james newton howard's score for the sixth sense was awesome... did the full score ever get released? cause some of the best music, like the opening credits, never made it on the soundtrack.

i completely disagree. i saw Signs a few weeks ago at a press screening and though I liked it very much, and that it is better than Episode II, it doesn't come close to Minority Report. not by a long shot

Fair enough. But for me, I was greatly disappointed with Minority Report in that it didn't approach the same depth of A.I. I was hoping that the very nature of crime and punishment would be explored, but what we ended up with was a by-the-book murder mystery with one huge illogical set-up. Based on what I understood, the pre-cogs sense a crime before it happens from the person who seriously thinks about committing the murder. Well, Tom Cruise couldn't think up the murder until he was framed and he can only be framed if he thinks of the murder. You see, it's a paradox loop. Before the alternate time line is formed or splits off, there must be a universal antecedent that will serve as the catalyst regardless of the outcome. The plot device of Minority Report is predicated on something that happens as a result of something that didn't happen in the first place.

Funny thing is that many critics are comparing Minority Report to Hitchcock when Shyamalan's SIGNS is much more reflective of Hitch's style of story telling.

i see where you're coming from, but the critics are referring to mostly the "whodunit" aspect of it and film-noir that Hitchcock was famous for. and i see your point about certain plot elements not working, because, well, you're right. but as i most often say, i think these two movies are kind of incomparable, as they are very different. Signs is much more simple than Minority Report, that doesn't make it any less of a movie or anything, it's just much more linear. therefore, it's easy to focus and maintain. i thought Spielberg did a great job of juggling all aspects of the story for Minority Report. true, it does come down to a murder-mystery ordeal, but i think it's also a movie about ideas. i also felt a lot for the characters also, as there are a great many of them and they are all interesting. i didn't want to rip on Signs or anything, because i really, really liked it. and i also only saw it once, and i've seen Minority Report seven times and only love it more with each time i see it. so i haven't really been too fair to Signs, but i definitely plan on seeing it again when it comes out on friday.

i didn't want to rip on Signs or anything, because i really, really liked it. and i also only saw it once, and i've seen Minority Report seven times and only love it more with each time i see it. so i haven't really been too fair to Signs, but i definitely plan on seeing it again when it comes out on friday.

Wow. I had a hard time sitting through Minority Report once. And you know, I really WANTED to like it. I got the CD a few days prior to seeing the film and I was blown away by "Sean's Theme"- one of the nicest Williams has ever written in my opinion. Wish it was longer andmore developed since it's amazingly constructed. I loved Saving Private Ryan, A.I., Schindler's List, Jaws (all time fave actually), Raiders, CEOT3K, etc.etc. Believe me, I go into every Spielberg film with the best intentions. I just found MR lacking in what Spielberg does best: create viscerally exciting films. MR was cold, detached, and simply not that engaging. Now this is strictly a reflection of my personal taste. My dad thought it was quite good after seeing it. It also struck me as slightly evocative of Judge Dredd without the monosylabic Stallone. I don't have anything against Cruise (thought he was excellent in Magnolia) but he seemed displaced.

I'll try to see it again on DVD although I've learned that it doesn;t necessarily help. I just saw LOTR:FOTR on DVD the other day and it's no better than it was in the theatre. I think it's actually a sub-standard film with attrocious editing- the constant cutaways make me want to throw up. I do think that MR is leagues better than LOTR mind you so I might have a change of heart on that count.

honsetly, Minority Report struck me the same way A.I. did when i first saw it. i liked it, but i didn't love it. when i saw it a second time, then was when i loved it, and since then i have only wanted to keep seeing it, just like A.I. I guess because there is just so much material that it's hard to fully take in the first time you see it. it's strange how Spielberg's last two movies have had that effect on me. i hope you feel the same way when you see it again, but i do know what you mean when you said you had trouble getting through it the first time. i knoe exactly what you mean, i felt the same way.

That's cool. Who knows, Signs might not play as well upon repeated viewings although I have seen it more than once and enjoy it immensely.

I respect younger filmmakers like Shyamalan and Alejandro Amenobar (The OTHERS) for slowing down the pace of their films and letting more than 24 frames go by before editing. I know a fair bit about films and film scoring (I've scored a few small films) and this new trend of video editing is so damn annoying. It's like the director is 1/ amazingly inept or 2/ doesn't trust his actors enough to have them in a 2 shot for more than a couple seconds or 3/ feels that the narrative must keep the audience awake by means of bludgeoning them with rapid fire editing and overdone special effects. Rob Bowman's REIGN OF FIRE is certainly not perfect by any stretch, but I respected him for pacing his film well and keeping the tone grim and serious. Minority Report had the same feel, but again, it's hard for me to get past that illogical premise. HOWEVER, the scene where Abigail (???)(the female pre-cog) talks to Cruise and his wife about Sean was GREAT. I wish there was more of that since the scene was pure vintage Spielberg. Very moving indeed.

I really liek Mr. M. Night Shyamalan's movies, and I'm sure Signs is also great.

I'm a big James Newton Howard fan (is my 3rd favourite, after John Williams and Danny Elfman). His score for Atlantis was one of the top 5 scores from last year. Waterworld, Dinosaur, the Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Devil's Advocate are some of his scores I really enjoy.

i agree. that's why i love a lot of Woody Allen's movies.

I totally dig Marvin Hamlisch's score for BANANAS. The way he matched the instrumentation so perfectly with the onscreen action was classic. What other director would be so confident to use a kazoo, banjo, trumpet, and a drum trap kit for the lead character's main theme? I'd love to get my hands on that soundtrack. Been looking for years now.

Woody Allen is one of America's greatest directors.

HOWEVER, the scene where Abigail (???)(the female pre-cog) talks to Cruise and his wife about Sean was GREAT.  I wish there was more of that since the scene was pure vintage Spielberg.  Very moving indeed.

I thought that seen was a little cliched in some respects and ineffective manipulation :devil: I thought the hologram scene was great.

I love the complex plot the movie has, you have no idea what will happen next.

HOWEVER, the scene where Abigail (???)(the female pre-cog) talks to Cruise and his wife about Sean was GREAT.  I wish there was more of that since the scene was pure vintage Spielberg.  Very moving indeed.

I thought that seen was a little cliched in some respects and ineffective manipulation :) I thought the hologram scene was great.

I love the complex plot the movie has, you have no idea what will happen next.

Well, it was effective enough for me, even though Cruise looked a little strange trying to carry off the silent crying effect...

I, too, found the plot twists and turns mostly unexpected, although many others I talked to had solved the 'whodunit' in the relatively early moments of the film...

and personally, I believe that James Newton is one of the most gifted composers alive today. He just unfortunately hasn't been given the oppurtunity to really show what he's got, and his score for Signs is very good and fits the film like a glove.

Absolutely agree. The Hero's theme in Unbreakable (track 8) is genius.

But I get the feeling that maybe someone else could develop more themes, more complex ones to suit such interesting characters.

-ROSS, who will buy Signs any day soon.

I have just seen the most entertaining film of the summer and I'm surprised to say it ain't by Lucas or Spielberg.

How is this surprising?

Spielberg is WAY past his prime and Lucas hasn't put out quality films in bloody ages.

I'm much more interested in films by up and coming filmakers. They have much more passion about their work than these guys do.

I'm much more interested in films by up and coming filmakers. They have much more passion about their work than these guys do.

Like Woo, and Bay. Quality directors who know how to entertain someone with a 2.4 second attention span.

Or the makers of quality films like the people who brought us Blair Witch Project.

Or like M. Night or Fincher, each who have had box office success several times, but whom each have only produced one great film, and several that blow chunks.

Spielberg is without a doubt, the director who has directed the greater number of really entertaining movies. They're just so many of them (Jaws, CEOT3K, all the Indys, E.T, Jurassic Park, MInority Report) not to mention some movies, while not as entertaining, are equaly or more profound and are trully great works.

Spielberg is a lengendary director, always will be, and will be hailed forever as a film legend.

I just want to say that if you listened to JNH's score in the film before you heard it on CD (as I did), you would have a better understanding of what JNH and Night were going for. Lots of terrorizing moments and some much-needed lighter ones. The score touches on both without leaning too much on one or the other.

That opening title cue, which is really the theme for the aliens, threw me a little bit, but so did Psycho the first time I heard it. I thought, "Hey, I guess this is going to be a comedy." But you can't imagine what you can do to just a few motes to make it scary, exhilarating and triumphant.

Just go see it. Then you'll know. Stop making judgments on scores solely based on CD releases.

OK OK OK Joe is right folks! Fair enough. Yes I will admit I am VERY hard on Spielbiggy as of late. However, I guess that is just my dissapointment talking. I mean I will always give Steve-O SERIOUS respect for his work. However, it just seems like he has been slipping as the years go by. It seems like the more time goes by the less creativity and genius hew still wields. I am worried for the fate of Indy 4. :oops:

We'll just have to hope that he can keep it together as time goes by.

Some of you guys love the old spielberg and hate the new spielberg, love the old williams and hate the new williams, love the old starwars and hate the new starwars.

Some of you guys love the old spielberg and hate the new spielberg, love the old williams and hate the new williams, love the old starwars and hate the new starwars.

I think you are wrong on that. Some of us prefer the old Spielberg & Williams. Many of us prefer the old Star Wars because they are just better films. I still like Spielberg and Williams. Stevie made Minority Report which is a really good film, Williams wrote Harry Potter which is my favorite score of his in a long time. I don't think anyone hates the new Spielberg considering how many love A.I., and alot of you love the new Star Wars, but I think if you look at it objectively there is no way anyone can say that TPM or AOTC are as good or better than Star Wars, The Empire Strike Back, or Return of the Jedi.

Old and new Spielberg are about as good, though he seemed to have lost it a little in the 90's :)

Old Williams is where is best scores are from, but new Williams has a higher quality on average than old Williams.

I love the old Star Wars and almost hate the new Star Wars.

Actually Star Wars: a New Hope is my least favourite in the entire saga, although it's still great a and the biggest ground breaker of them all.

Thats because the old Spielberg and the OLD Star Wars had quality the "new guys" can replicate. ESPECIALLY Star Wars.