Any news about the Memoirs of the Geisha?

Incanus

Are there any news about the release or about the music beyond what we have heard here?

I have been concentrating in my LOTR ravings so much there has been hardly any posts outside that ROTFLMAO

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear the Geishas will be performing LIVE at Tokyo's Huoritimiconuico-san Theatre on November 3rd. Bring with you one of the following:

a pillow, a revolver, a cynide pill.

Hitch, feeling warped today.

I have noticed certain tendencies (homicidal, psychotic?) in your posts today ROTFLMAO

But thanks for sharing that piece of valuable information.

I have a pillow, revolver and a cyanide pill ready for the trip. Now I need only horse and a buggy. I like to travel in style. Japan is far away from where I reside.

- Incanus who is glad to be a Wizard since "Wizard is never late nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to"-

I have noticed certain tendencies (homicidal, psychotic?) in your posts today :)  

But thanks for sharing that piece of valuable information.  

I have a pillow, revolver and a cyanide pill ready for the trip. Now I need only horse and a buggy. I like to travel in style. Japan is far away from where I reside.

- Incanus who is glad to be a Wizard since "Wizard is never late nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to"-

And like all great wizards, they usually end up in the Phantom Zone or in pantomines. ROTFLMAO

It is hard these days. Sauron gone and no real Maiar to fight there is not proper work for a Wizard of my stature. You know I had to stoop to pulling rabbits out of my pointy greyblue hat to entertain people at shopping centres for a while to make a living. Talk about embarrasing. One of the mighty Istari making card tricks for kiddies and juggling to get small change. Children pestered me for those damnable fireworks ROTFLMAO I showed them but the shopping center is in ashes now. I never liked that job any way. But they should respect a man of my caliber. Fire is my expertice and when Gandalf gets angry people die! :)

Back to the issue at hand. I take it there are no news about Memoirs then? This is unusual. Williams' scores receive almost always the wide coverage. Now there is none. Not an article not a one interview. It's early though so news may start to trickle soon our way.

Almost always was the term I used. That should cover the smaller scores. It is true that that e.g. Terminal and WOTW did not get coverage. Only the BIGGER scores are well reported and covered now that you mentioned it, but Williams has scored many big pictures the last few years:)

I heard on tv some lady say this:

"And here's an interesting fact: John Williams gave up the chance to score Harry Potter 4 to score Memoirs."

as far as I had heard, he took on memoirs because Steven was directing it and he and Steven do everything together. Then Steven dropped out but John Stayed in.

Same thing with Harry Potter... he joined with Steven who then dropped out and gave it to Chris... who dropped out... lol

I hear the Geishas will be performing LIVE at Tokyo's Huoritimiconuico-san Theatre on November 3rd.  Bring with you one of the following:  

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

(incoherent screaming continues).........

WHERE WHERE WHERE?

WHere'S the link?

OR are you just bluffing? :?

I hear the Geishas will be performing LIVE at Tokyo's Huoritimiconuico-san Theatre on November 3rd.  Bring with you one of the following:  

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

(incoherent screaming continues).........

WHERE WHERE WHERE?

WHere'S the link?

OR are you just bluffing? :?

I never bluff about my work.

that's not what I was saying. Im just saying that it was the first time he read the novel before scoring the film--I don't mean that in any capacity just that he read the novel before he saw the pre-edit of the film which would be before he scored it.

I'm not saying he made any themes from reading the novel. From my understanding John Williams works on a visial standpoint, not a written one. He just sees the movies and not really reads the novels and that much on them...

Like you said, he read the books and he liked them... and then scored them latter when they made them into movies.

Oh my. Thread got out of hand (once more). Calm yourselves. Potter is not the issue here. You can fight but do not continue it in this thread. Please if you be ever so kind!

There's 2 "reviews" at AICN

anyways the score is mentionned:

1st review:

"I wish I could do more than spew what seems to be a review of clichés, but this is really quite an exquisite film. It’s not perfect, but I have a feeling that its otherworldly, exotic settings, a surprisingly restrained John Williams/Yo-Yo Ma score, and its embrace of a time when films had elegance will hold the attention of many an audience member and many an Oscar voter"

2nd review:

"The film really does tell a good story, and it is visually stunning. The characters are well played and crafted, and the music by that little know indie artist John Williams, with a little bit of Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Pearlman for good measure, is pretty F'n fantastic.""

K.M.

There's sme "reviews" at AICN

anyways the score is mentionned:

"The film really does tell a good story, and it is visually stunning. The characters are well played and crafted, and the music by that little know indie artist John Williams, with a little bit of Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Pearlman for good measure, is pretty F'n fantastic.""

K.M.

Now it's a good time to go bonkers about that last sentence and start speculating the words "pretty F'n fantastic" :music:

That is true. No slight against you for reporting it. It sounds very promising and I have very high hopes and expectations for this score.

I never bluff about my work

:? so where's the link? where did you hear this from?

I hope your Japanese is as good as my Bocce.

Restrained can mean many a thing (also boring) but I think in Williams' case it will the Angela's Ashes kind of restrain (we must admit his scores are know from their bombast to many people so Williams doing restrained is pretty much a normal score by Hollywood standards). Iam waiting for this score very much as I have said and will buy it the second it hits the stores. The description of the score as restrained had an opposite effect on me. Now I am REALLY waiting for it.

Tibet is said to have a good theme and much underscore... which is wrong in my opinion. The whole score stands as a coherent and compact work, with a strong emotional progression.

One of my favorite soundtracks, definitely.

What can I say. I love Seven Years in Tibet. Wonderful listening experience. Dalai Lama theme is just as beautiful as the main theme. The score receives very little praise or attention even if it is wonderful example of Williams' drama scores.

People should listen to tracks like Reaching the Summit or Henrih's Odissey just to see the wondeful underscore this score is.

Plus, it contains 4 beuatiful themes.

True. I have identified the main theme, the grief/guilt theme, the Dalai Lama/Tibetan theme and Regaining a Son albeit it is a short one and sadly never developed (Except in Elegy for Cello and Orchetra for our good fortune). How do you name the themes and are we talking about the same themes even? There has not been any conversation about the themes here on MB, atleast not that I remember.

It took some time for me to realize the dark music on many tracks was actually Heinrich's theme. It's wonderful. It's great how Williams injected the theme all the grief, guilt and remorse of the character. Underscore is subtle, touching and thematic. As I said Williams' better drama efforts. Dalai Lama/Tibet theme has been my favorite for years now.

Heinrich's theme is one of my all time favorites. As you said, it's so filled with guilt and remorse. The Dalai Lama theme perfectly conveys the mysticism of this land. This is one of JW's greatest efforts.