2001 - A Space Odyssey - The Missing Reel...

Greg1138

Apparently, the opening of 2001 was intended to be a series of interviews with eminent Scientists and Writers, which acted as a prologue to the film.....the interviews took place and were filmed.

This opening section as cut from the movie due to what was then a prohibitive running time....and is now considered lost. However, transcripts of the interviews have now been found and are due to be published.

Full story here....

Makes for interesting reading, particularly the bit about Windows98!

:angry:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Universal are releasing the colorised version of PSYCHO in 2010 for the 50th anniversary. It wasn't moleskin after all.

Thank you!  I've heard about this opening, but never knew any details about it, beyond the scientists having a discussion.

Neil

I had never heard this, but it would be nice now to have some sort of speical edition DVD with the transcriptions as an extra......and....maybe......Alex North's alternate score????

.....or is that really hoping for too much.....??

I think this should be included as additional content on a DVD release. It sounds quite appealing to me. But I don't like the idea of including it as text. I don't like when they includd production notes on the DVDs. (I mean, text to be read on the screen, for now, I prefer paper for that). In the case of this 2001 material, I think using pics of the scientist and hiring actors to read the opinions could be close to what Kubrick had in mind.

Thank you!  I've heard about this opening, but never knew any details about it, beyond the scientists having a discussion.

Neil

I had never heard this, but it would be nice now to have some sort of speical edition DVD with the transcriptions as an extra......and....maybe......Alex North's alternate score????

.....or is that really hoping for too much.....??

I'd love to hear North's score en contexto!

. . . Even though it's not complete.

According to North's own personal notes on the Varese recording (conducted by Jerry Goldsmith) Kubrick told him he had intended to use music only during the first half of the movie and then have the rest unscored using the breathng effects. I don't know how complete the Varese recording is because North mentions he recorded 40 minutes worth of music and the last cue on the disc is actually from North's score to the documentary Africa. So the actually 2001 CD runs about 32 mins.

I can't imagine sitting thru an extended version of this snooze fest.