Gabriel Yared- under-utilized?

David Coscina

It seems to me that Yared is one of the most interesting, adept composers around but is getting few big name assignments. The last couple years, I've envisioned what something like Batman Begins or even King Kong would have sounded like had he been the composer involved. I just heard a couple tracks on iTunes that I'm not familiar with and they confirm his stylistic breadth and melodic gifts. Wish he'd get more projects. Anyone else here a Yared fan?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Yared. His score for Troy is amazing, and its rejection by the studio is one of the biggest mistakes in film music history. Although the film on a basic level isn't very good, the score is terrific, and just goes to show you what test audiences know.

Tim

I know very little of Yared. Cold Mountain and Troy are the only scores by his I've listened to to any extent. I have The Talneted Mr. Ripley, but aside from the beautiful song ('Lullaby for Cain'), I'm not too fond of it. I'm looking forward to explore his stuff in the future, if only because of Dave's admiration for him (generally a good sign).

I love his very haunting music for "The English Patient," which seems consistently to be under-rated. Ok, it's occasionally repetitive, but I do like the Bach pastiche, the instrumentation and the combination of different genres works very well.

I've already met him twice, once in person back home in Lebanon. What to tell you, the guy is really nice, and he really is a monster!!! He can say alot of things with his music. You have to hear some of the work he did back in Europe, not all of it is easily accessible to everyone, yet I think he is in a league of his own.

Part of the reason why he doesn't do much in Hollywood comes from himself actually. He admits he can't stand LA and the film industry in particular, especially now after Troy, methinks!

Igor

He's a man who is very passionate about music and art, and the aesthetic about it all. I would say that's a very rare trait these days in the film business. Perhaps his comments post-Troy weren't the best way to go but it stems from a real love and care towards his craft. Most composers are too busy shmoozing and trying to get each other's jobs, otherwise too enthralled with technology to care about why a Bach 2 part invention is a brilliant thing. I also had the chance to speak with Yared a couple years back and I was totally blown away by his enthusiasm and passion towards music. Guys like this should be scoring more films today. 'nuff said.

Sadly Hollywood wants to go with the "bang on a synth wanna be composers" who really couldn't write a good film score to save their life.

Yared needs a thoughtful and delicate director, who is an artist first, a businessman second. Studios need to relinquish all power of the score to the director or a single producer. Perhaps music supervisors should be hired as a go between for big productions with a lot of chefs, so that a unified set of specifications can be communicated to the composer. Yared should purchase the rights to his Troy score and market it through intrada or something. He should not be jaded by this. It is not his fault.

Depending on your version of hell, it could be cold already. Troy will be released today as a result.  

Tim

I think we have a master of eastern philosophy with us.

If Warner would block Yared from purchasing the rights, then how could it be for any reason other than evil.