Huge Movie Stars Williams Hasn't Scored For

SkyMaker

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Voight appeared in ROSEWOOD.

And I know that Williams composed for the only film Sinatra directed. I haven't seen this movie, so I don't know if he starred it.

The film is called Full Cast and Crew for

None But the Brave , and IMDB lists sinatra as director, and as actor. (Chief Pharmacist Mate, so probably as supporting role)

Stefancos- fountain of knowledge. ;)

By the way, GLENN CLOSE appeared in HOOK in a cameo.

Where? :wow:

Justin -Wondering....

She was disguised as a pirate, and she is introduced into a trunk with scorpions, I think. It is in the first part of the film, when Peter Pan arrives at Neverland.

Cruise, Hanks, Ford, Julia Roberts, he's done all of them.

i hope he wore protection :sigh:

:lol2:

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

:jump:

;);):)

jump1

That was -- no, still is -- funny, Ren! :(

Millions of people who don't know good movies then. Remember it was a very modest boxoffice hit, not a blockbuster by any means. And Crowe is human garbage. He needs a proper curse place on him.

MODEST??? :)

The hell are you talking about?? It made like 200 million domestic alone!

That is an AMAZING number for an R rated film (which has a much more limited audience due to the rating). It was one of the highest grossing R rated films of all time.

What do you mean BS? That was a true story. John Nash is still alive today. Am I misunderstanding you?

Well YES and NO!

You see yes there was a John Nash and yes he did have mental problems. However, like HALF of the stuff featured in that movie was either:

1) HEAVILY EXAGGERATED

2) COMPLETELY MADE UP

There was a big thing about it around the time the oscars came out.

Anyway another "actor" John Williams has not scored for is will Smith. I put that word in quote because in reality Will Smith is ANYTHING BUT an actor. The man can't even rap well.

Millions of people who don't know good movies then. Remember it was a very modest boxoffice hit, not a blockbuster by any means. And Crowe is human garbage. He needs a proper curse place on him.

MODEST??? :(

The hell are you talking about?? It made like 200 million domestic alone!

That is an AMAZING number for an R rated film (which has a much more limited audience due to the rating). It was one of the highest grossing R rated films of all time.

[.

187670866.00 to be exact. Its amazing that it made that much money considering how lame it was. Saw it at the theatre and thought this sucks, but when it was released on DVD, it thought I will give it another chance. Boy was I wrong, it was even worse than I thought. I did like all the extra's on the dvd though, excellent. Far better than the film. Crowe was very good as whoever he was. Sicko phoenix was disgusting as he is in just about anything he does. Richard Harris is classy as usual. Though his next big movie was far better. It seems anything that Ridley Scott touches he ruins. Its sad that the last Best Picture of the 2000 century was Gladiator.

Rén wrote:  

Quote:  

Cruise, Hanks, Ford, Julia Roberts, he's done all of them.  

i hope he wore protection  

That was -- no, still is -- funny, Ren!

:angry::(

I just cannot understand people who don't like Gladiator. It seemed to have everythin a STRONG movie should.

-Good acting

-Strong dialogue

-Well told story

-Good direction

-Excellent cinematography

I mean WHAT ELSE do ya want? :?

It delivered all the things the SW prequels should have.

Oh well......

each his own I guess. :(

I just cannot understand people who don't like Gladiator. It seemed to have everythin a STRONG movie should.  

-Good acting

some of it was good, but Phoenix is the weak point, and shouldn't someone have told him to emote. I can't hear you Leaf!

-Strong dialogue

maybe, if you could have heard it.

-Well told story

what was all that floating in the wheat field stuff, talk about convoluted.

-Good direction

LOL LOL LOL not if it was directed by Ridley Scott.

-Excellent cinematography

LOL LOL LOL stop, your killing me. It was one of the worst photographed films in recent memory, ok Hannibal was worse, oh wait its another RidleyScott piece of crap too. Ridley Scott is the only person alive who could make sun drenched Sudan(blackhawkdown) look like it was photographed in the dark. Ridley, do you need a light bulb?

.....I do think Crowe is very talented as a actor.......He is a great actor but he is no Tom Hanks.

This is funny, like saying, Apples are great fruit, but it's no Mango. :P

Phoenix is the weak point, and shouldn't someone have told him to emote. I can't hear you Leaf!

He made an extremely good insane emperor.

what was all that floating in the wheat field stuff, talk about convoluted

It's called, him imagining his afterlife because he wants to see his children. :roll:

Ridley Scott is the only person alive who could make sun drenched Sudan(blackhawkdown) look like it was photographed in the dark. Ridley, do you need a light bulb?

Are you afraid of the dark? It's not so dark that you can't see what is happening.

here's one weakness of Gladiator... originality. there is not one bit of it in the story. well told story, yes. cliched and overused story, definitely.

visually, the movie was great, as is the case with any movie by Ridley Scott. and yes, there was fine acting, but there is only so much a good actor can do with such a paper thin character.

don't get me wrong, i enjoyed Gladiator. i think it is a good movie because it is entertaining and it got the job done. Scott created a brilliant atmosphere, but i do think that it is one of his weakest films and should NOT have won the Oscar by any stretch. though the Academy hasn't gotten much right as of the past ten years or so. Gladiator just adds to the long tradition of the stupid decisions the Academy has made.

Gladiator was the biggest piece of shit in recent memory that Lucas and Spielberg had nothing to do with. Oh, wait a minute -- wasn't it a Dreamworks release?

How anyone could resurrect the sword and sandal genre -- WITH THOSE ACTORS -- and still louse it up, is beyond me. Russell Crowe, Oliver Reed, Derek Jacobi, and Richard Harris. With that cast, you would think the film would have been two and a half hours of people screaming at one another with the veins standing out of their temples. Instead, we get a subdued Harris and a fey Jacobi (or is that redundant?). Where is the energy he brought to Branagh's Henry V? This isn't exactly PBS, you know. And why didn't SOMEONE have the idea to give Oliver Reed a sword? Crowe was very good, I'll grant you that, but the rest of the cast was wasted (probably in more senses than one). Where's Jack Hawkins when you need him?

As Joe said, it is horrible to look at, despite the fact we get to see the Coliseum brought to life, courtesy of CGI. Or rather, I should say, we glimpse the Coliseum, since Ridley's handheld camera makes such a mess of the fights that we don't actually get to see anything for very long. Imagine! A gladiator movie where we don't get to enjoy the choreography of the fights! Perhaps they were trying to save money -- the special effects were running over-budget -- so they fired the choreographer? "Here, Russell -- take this stuffed tiger and roll around in the dirt with it. Don't worry, the editor will make it look good." Shades of Martin Landau and the rubber octopus in Ed Wood.

The music was bad. Derivative and just plain garbagy. The wheat field scenes were woefully New Age, and put me in mind of the sadder moments of Titanic (and I don't mean "sad" in the emotional sense). Okay, the acting was good, if underpowered -- only Crowe seemed to be holding something in reserve -- but overall the film was a major disappointment. Certainly, not Oscar material. But, then again, neither was Braveheart, Shakespeare in Love, Titanic, or American Beauty. I can't even think of what won Best Picture last year. A Beautiful Mind! Yeah, it was okay. Better than Gladiator.

I think the big problem is that there are no good scriptwriters left in Hollywood or, if there are, their work gets hashed over by committee, and what we wind up with the very lowest common denominator. Then the director gets a hold of it, and he has no clue how to block out a scene because he's made his career in rock videos and perfume commercials. He hasn't seen any old movies, so he is unfamiliar with the tricks of the genre, and he is therefore forced to move in fits and starts, like a paramecium, bumping into the sides of a petri dish, until he finally just slaps the thing together to the best of his ability. Then he is awarded an Oscar for what is essentially a high school project, and he thinks he has achieved something great.

I think, to supplement the Oscars, they should have an awards ceremony where the Academy doles out vicious beatings to filmmakers who severely fumble the ball.

tpigeon's view on the film is the same as mine.

Where is the energy he brought to Branagh's Henry V?

I'm glad the movie lacked this :P Way over the top.

since Ridley's handheld camera makes such a mess of the fights that we don't actually get to see anything for very long. Imagine! A gladiator movie where we don't get to enjoy the choreography of the fights!

The method used makes a fight seem more like a fight really would from the perspective of the people in it.

The music was bad. Derivative and just plain garbagy.

I can't agree, derivative, some of it, garbagy? Only on a technical level :P

<snip, Figo's propaganda>

:P

You obviously don't understand a thing about the gladiator genre, much less music. Yet another transparent attempt to increase your post count.

Well, okay, I think that Zimmer's score is poor in the context of the film :P

Zimmer does some really stupid things. But it's pretty good on the CD.

Did Zimmer even write it, or did he just put his signature on it, like an architect, or those Dutch masters who supervised "studios?" Every few years, it is discovered that yet another painting which had previously been attributed to Rembrandt or Rubens was not really by them at all.

Figo, shuddering even to compare Zimmer to Rembrandt and Rubens.

A few other actors include

Henry Fonda, Geraldine Page, John Housman, Jane Fonda, Jon Voight

Jimmy Stewart :P  

Maureen Ohara, Frank Sinatra, Lee Marvin, Natalie Wood, and Pres. Ronald Reagan.

Thats a few more academy award winners too.

John Houseman starred in The Paper Chase.

Jimmy Stewart in The Rare Breed.

Jon Voight in Rosewood and Conrack.

How about Charles Bronson, James Mason, Anthony Quinn or Yul Brynner?

Well, okay, I think that Zimmer's score is poor in the context of the film :P

Zimmer does some really stupid things. But it's pretty good on the CD.

Yeah, the CD is good, but not the score applied to the film. This score could have been of a common action film, and nobody would have perceived it.

Definitely, gladiators fought better accompanied by Rozsa's or North's music.

like a lot of Zimmer music, Gladiator can be fun to listen to, especially that famous waltz as he calls it, but i wouldn't call it good. and i simply can't stand his attempts to compose "serious" music. i think it was a very over-the-top score that should have been much simpler than he tried to make it. i do like that waltz though.

like a lot of Zimmer music, Gladiator can be fun to listen to, especially that famous waltz as he calls it, but i wouldn't call it good. and i simply can't stand his attempts to compose "serious" music. i think it was a very over-the-top score that should have been much simpler than he tried to make it. i do like that waltz though.

I agree, the "gladiator waltz" is great, and it appears twice on the CD. :P

About serious music, his next two works with Ridley Scott were, simply, a trash. That quasi-operatic Hannibal music was horrible, unsubstantial; very bad. And Black Hawk Down...... that african soloist, that african rythms,..... :P I prefer Zimmer composing for Peacemaker, for example. So his only good work making serious music is THE THIN RED LINE. The rest.......... :P

yes, i like that one theme from the Thin Red Line. in fact, i love it. but i think you're right... outside that, he hasn't been able to do it. he should stick with the gungho brassy action music like in Crimson Tide. it's what he's good at.

Did Zimmer even write it, or did he just put his signature on it, like an architect, or those Dutch masters who supervised "studios?"  Every few years, it is discovered that yet another painting which had previously been attributed to Rembrandt or Rubens was not really by them at all.

Figo, shuddering even to compare Zimmer to Rembrandt and Rubens.

You're right, Figo. Zimmer didn't write much of the Gladiator score. Most of the vocal writing was covered by Team Zimmer. His underlings picked up some of the bigger scenes too, like Crowe's death.

Sorry, I can't say more. It's just standard MediaVentures practice, but I don't think I should elaborate.

Here's something fun to do in the meantime - try singing the Gladiator main theme using the "We'll miss you, Conrad" lyrics from Bye-Bye Birdie.

It's nearly as fun as singing "Oh, Suzanna" to Danny Elfman's Tales from the Cript Theme.

Bye.

OK I guess we are gonna have to agree to disagree on the Gladiator issue.

It just seems like as if you LOVE or HATE Ridley Scott's films. Either one or the other.

I personally dig em.

As for Gladiator's lack of originality. OK I'll give ya that. However, how many movies are original? NOT BLOODY MANY! ;)

i don't so much have a problem with a story that isn't completely original. i have a problem with stories that i have been bludgeoned by countless times before.

as for the Ridley Scott issue, i agree that you either love him or hate him, and i love a lot of his work. he's one of the most stylistic and visually inventive of all the directors alive today. i just think that Gladiator is one of his weakest movies. I much prefer The Duellists, Alien, and Bladerunner.

(...) i just think that Gladiator is one of his weakest movies. I much prefer The Duellists, Alien, and Bladerunner.

And I like Thelma & Louise very much, even Black Hawk. But the remaining films (Legend, Hard Rain, 1492, White Squall and Hannibal) do not get the quality of those ones.

What is he doing in these moments? Isn't he prepairing an movie about Alexander the Great?

My favorite of his is definitely The Duellists. I can watch Alien and Blade Runner, but for the most part the man has no instinct for narrative. He's all style and no substance.

My ex-girlfriend looooved Ridley Scott. I can't tell you how many times I had to suffer through Someone to Watch Over Me.

Let that be a lesson to you ladies. ;)

he didn't do "Hard Rain." He did "Black Rain." just letting you know. i'm sure that's the one you had in mind

I think the waltz is some of his best music. And I like over the top :) Gladiator is his best score, but I generally dislike most of his scores anyway.

I prefer Zimmer composing for Peacemaker, for example.

;) That score is awful.

yes, i like that one theme from the Thin Red Line. in fact, i love it. but i think you're right... outside that, he hasn't been able to do it. he should stick with the gungho brassy action music like in Crimson Tide. it's what he's good at.

:nod::pukeface: What a bore. However, Thin Red Line is quite good.

He's all style and no substance.

That's not true, perhaps you can say that he has an excess of style, but I wouldn't say he has no substance when he did Blade Runner and Gladiator! Gladiator has a very good story, it's just cliched.

Thin Red Line??? I found that film a sleeper and I'm NOT talking about a sleeper hit either. :mrgreen:

That film was so boring it bored my grandparents. YES THEM! They watch Masterpiece Theatre too! :pukeface:

Hey, I liked that film! Thoufh the philosophy stuff was a bit silly. It didn't do anything that is special for a war film, but it was still quite enjoyable.

Funnily enough, the only 3 A-list contemporary actors JW hasn't scored for are Arnie, Sly and Bruce Willis....ie the Planet Hollywood guys...? Is this a reflection on Mr Williams' culinary tastes...?

Arnie and Sly are not A list actors anymore. I doubt they ever really were.

They were stars, not actors. There is a difference.

I think Arnie's salary for Terminator 3 automatically counts him as an A-list actor despite his inability to act his way out of a paper bag...

I think Arnie's salary for Terminator 3 automatically counts him as an A-list actor despite his inability to act his way out of a paper bag...

And despite his consecutive fiascos (The Sixth Day, Collateral Damage, etc.)?

I think your completely wrong. He is the Terminator, so to make the movie without him is pointless. To make the movie without James Cameron is pointless too, but thats beside the point.

Arnie is a star not an actor. He is not an A-list actor, he is never considered for A-list roles. He never will be considered for a list roles.

6 words never likely to come out of Arnold's mouth.

I'D LIKE TO THANK THE ACADEMY.

I take your point, and agree with the principle. However, sadly Hollywood is all about money and profile. If acting and integrity were priorities then Kevin Spacey would be demanding $25m a movie, and Adam Sandler would be an extra...

6 words more likely to come out of Arnie's mouth:-

WOULD YOU LIKE FRIES WITH THAT?

LOL

No, I think Arnie's stuffed the mattress with too many millions for that to happen, Chris. But I think his career definitely has a built-in expiration date. Still, if he can reinvent himself, who knows? He's actually very amusing in comedy. (Then again, I count most of his films as comedy.) Still, whatever the genre, the movies seem to play off his physique. As soon as those pecs begin to sag, then what?

I'm sure he's weeping all the way to the bank. bawling

Figo, pleased to see Clint is still going strong.

Arnie to Maria: "Are you related to George Kennedy, honey?"

A LIST goes beyond just how much of a check you can pic up. It has to do with your stardom and drawing power among audiences. Both of which Arny has very little left.

OK following on from what "A Guy" said, a lot of Gladiator was not written by Zimmer. Also, the stuff that was, was copied from some sources including and not limited to "The Last Temptation of Christ" and "The Planets" especially Mars.

As for the film, it was ok, but the other thing apart from the music that I didn't like was the fact that Rome was soooooooo clean?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! As if?! It should have been disgusting and full of filth and Illness. As for Phoenix, he was great.

Now, A Beautiful Mind was so made up it drove me crazy. The characters are true but the story was complete and utter fiction.

As for Crowe and the Oscar. What made a lot of people not vote for him was his attitude and actions during the British BAFTA's.