2009 Boston JWFan meetup?

Jay

JW will perform with the Boston Pops Tuesday May 26 through Friday May 29. I assume some people from here are going; If we all go on the same night, it would be a cool way for some of us New Englanders to meet face to face!

http://www.bso.org/bso/mods/perf_detail.jsp?pid=prod2980052

According to this, it sounds like only the first 2 nights feature Concerto for Viola and Orchestra, while only the second 2 nights feature the new ET Concert arrangement, unless I am reading it wrong:

http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=com_...12&Itemid=1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am leaning towards the Friday May 29 Performance. I care more about the ET piece than the concerto, and Friday night's just easier for people than a work night

I'm looking into a summer job at Tanglewood. If I can land one, I would try and make it to one of these shows and would love to meet up with fellow JWfans.

So count me in as a maybe.

The descriptions on the site have been updated.

Now for May 26 and 27 it says:

John Williams continues to bring his most cherished film scores to the stage, with program highlights from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Superman, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. This program also includes the world premiere of John Williams' Viola Concerto, featuring Pops principal violist Cathy Basrak.

And for May 28 and 29 it says:

John Williams and the Boston Pops salute the legendary achievement of the great MGM Musical Director Stanley Donen. The program will highlight America's favorite musicals drawn from Donen's distinguished career in film, such as Singin' in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and Royal Wedding. The Pops honors the man whose creative genius reshaped musicals forever. Donen will appear with the Pops on May 28 and 29. This program also includes "Star Gazers" from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, featuring Pops' harpist Ann Hobson Pilot.

Based on those descriptions, the earlier concerts sound more appealing to me

The descriptions are slightly confusing, cause the one for the second only really mentions the musical stuff, but its unclear if other film music is played in addition to the musical stuff. I really want to see the new ET concert arrangement, but I assume the new Marion's Theme concert arrangement will be played with the KOCS material.

Maybe I'll go to both.

Totally worth it :(

Plenty of fun stuff you can do in Boston the weekend after the concert too :P

I'd say about a week.

I don't want to make this thing a weekend deal. I probably couldn't afford the concert ticket alone. If JW just held a signing somewhere reasonably close by, I'd go. With Zimmer and Howard, drove up to NY, tried to sleep at my Uncle's place in Jersey but couldn't. Then hung around Times Square for the day and then drove back home right after.

I think for me it would depend on if I had someone to stay the night with after the concert. I may try to get a friend or two to come with me and split a hotel room, but I'm not sure if I could rely on that.

It's unfortunate that more and more of the Saturday night concerts are exclusive engagements for groups. That's the night when most of us from outside Boston would be able to come. Like a few years ago I came down from QC, others flew in from NJ or MI... much easier to arrange a JW Fan meetup on a day where we're not at work.

The Boston Pops isn't just Boston's orchestra, it's AMERICA'S ORCHESTERA!

I think for me it would depend on if I had someone to stay the night with after the concert. I may try to get a friend or two to come with me and split a hotel room, but I'm not sure if I could rely on that.

Yeah, that's another thing. The only person I physically know that's into scores is my brother.

• 2 months later...

I finally decided, I'm going to the Wednesday, May 27th show. I can't make the Tuesday May 26th show, and the 26/27 shows seem FAR superior to the 28/29th shows

So, who else from here is going to Wednesday's show?