The Official "What Cue Would You Like Me To Mock Up?" Thread

Dixon Hill

I just enjoy the process. Getting to know the music better, and sharpening my skills at making things sound as good as a computer allows. I don't add or change anything, no, unless I don't have a score to work from and I'm transcribing by ear. Naturally in those cases I'm not gonna get everything exactly right.

And I definitely don't use Finale....

Ah. Pretty much what I've been attempting, then. Cool.

Out of curiosity, which program do you use?

When creating mockups, people generally don't use notation softwares, but rather DAWs, where they can work on manipulating their sample libraries to make it sound as real as possible.

My aversion to Finale is based on the quality of the built in sample engine and the fact that I don't have much use or patience for notation based programs. Got a pencil for that.

So I use Logic as my DAW, with a number of different libraries and synths and reverb units augmenting what comes with it.

I see. I've stayed away from sampling to this point, mainly because I'm trying to nail the notational elements of composing and arranging. I imagine, however, that it's only a matter of time before I give in and try my hand at it.

Incidentally, I almost bought Finale because I'd heard they had a really good sample engine. Glad I didn't make that mistake.

It might be better than other notation programs. But that's not saying much. I'm sure there's a way to tie in better samples or send it through a DAW but I really just can't be bothered with any of that.

Cheap doesn't mean bad. I've never spent more than about $150 on an individual sample library. You don't need to bother with that EastWest/Kirk Hunter/Cinesamples stuff to get a realistic sound. At least not while they maintain such stratospheric prices.

Those sound great. And would be really useful. But more of those prices I can't bring myself to pay.

That said, I am probably going to add a new synth and a new sample library in the near future, so that's become a definite contender. Certainly seems flexible. I wish that more libraries gave you individual players to make up your own sections though, rather than just soloists and/or a single section patch.

• 4 months later...

I know you're shunning sampling for modelling but this is pretty cool. Would definitely help with THE LOST WORLD or any Goldenthal sci-fi/horror score.

The big downside is that you can't specify the notes of the 'boiling cluster' (to quote Corigliano) or a particular sequence of notes. I'd prefer to have more control of that, but I guess this is designed for young film/tv/video game/trailer composers who don't really care about atonal music other than horror music clichés, and have probably never studied a 60s Penderecki score in their life.

Meh I've just as quickly swung back to not shunning one for the other. Still trying to really settle on an ideal setup. I may end up reverting to some very basic, entry-level stuff that I already know how to make sing rather than trying to master something new for less satisfying results.

That thing is really neat. But I've devised my own methods for getting a lot of these more wild effects with less specialized software. The one thing I really need, and probably many others need, is a string section with 60 or however many fully independent "players" for dense aleatory/micropolyphony.

Of course what I actually need is the Hollywood Studio Symphony....

The big downside is that you can't specify the notes of the 'boiling cluster' (to quote Corigliano) or a particular sequence of notes. I'd prefer to have more control of that, but I guess this is designed for young film/tv/video game/trailer composers who don't really care about atonal music other than horror music clichés, and have probably never studied a 60s Penderecki score in their life.

Yeah that's true. Gah, is it really too much to ask for, a pristinely realistic sounding and complete (I need contrabass clarinets) ensemble, where you can layer any number of the same instruments on top of each other without fear of phasing and thus have real sections, where you can control string numbers and individual "players", where each instrument is as musically intuitive to perform as possible on a MIDI keyboard/controllers so you don't have to worry about prerecorded patches for trills/aleatorics/etc., but can just perform them all yourself like the real thing? I don't think so....

The ones from Batman if anyone bought the Omni Publishing score release for it.

5M4 Morning After

6M1 Board Meeting

9M2 Vicki Hides Film

11M1A "...Or Their Sons"

No one still hasn't fulfilled my requests...

• 9 months later...

So here's why I'm bumping this thread.

Until I can get more business for writing music to my clients, I am in kind of a doldrum of musical composition. So until my creative muse can get off her lazy behind and come pay me a visit, I will be writing mock-ups for anything you can think of (provided that I have the score for it). Normally, this is where I would point to film soundtracks. However...

Right now, I am finding fulfillment in rendering mock-ups of old SNES soundtracks, especially games from the Golden Age of RPGs. However, seeing as to how some of these games are famous in and of themselves, they were most likely given a live performance, so it would be pointless for me to render a mock-up when I can easily put up a video of the performance of said music.

Any requests? (I'm especially drawn to the first Star Ocean game).