Star Wars the force Unleashed Promo

King Mark

Oh I'm sure I'll still buy it, Tuesday if possible. At least on the Wii, it has multiplayer, even if nobody else in my family is a big enough SW fan to join in the fun. Although my sister thought hacking the limbs off protocol droids with a lightsaber was outrageously funny.

IGN gave it marginally higher score than Gamespot, so it goes to prove that just as different game sites make their own opinions regarding reviews, I'll buy it and make my own opinion as well.

I'm just hoping that TFU is full of enough SW lore to make it a short entertaining romp through the universe, at least until I decide to complete my second campaign through KotOR.

No Koray. Star Trek games don't constitute high expectations. I wasted a year of my life waiting for Legacy, played it twice, and haven't touched it since. The Star Trek games rarely, if ever, meet expectations, even if I do have a few personal favorites. Klingon Academy, Armada, Elite Force, and I still have a fond place for A Final Unity.

But LucasArts has always commanded high expectations for the Star Wars games, with only a few forgettable titles like Force Commander and Yoda Stories. Don't dismiss Star Wars games just because the prequels [might or might not have] sucked. A lot of the past few Star Wars games have been really good (KotOR 1 & 2), but you have to go back ten years to find the really really good ones (Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, and anything by Lawrence Holland).

And yes, I could probably jump into a game of Rebellion right now and have a raucous good time.

IGN gave it marginally higher score than Gamespot, so it goes to prove that just as different game sites make their own opinions regarding reviews, I'll buy it and make my own opinion as well.

Always a good policy, but I've found over the years that Gamespot's reviews and my opinions mesh really well so they do hold some weight with me.

Hell, I might play some KotoR myself. But I've lost track of how many times I've gone through it, it has to be 7 or 8.

It's a Star Wars game, which doesn't really constitute high expectations.

:blink: I'm sorry, what?

I always found them boring, at least the ones I've played. Maybe I've only played the bad ones. I couldn't help laughing at Darth Vader knighting his apprentice with a light saber in The Force Unleashed. What idiot wrote that part?

In my current campaign, I'm playing as a dark side female and am nearly done with Kashyyk, but I might have to go back to Dantooine because I'm not nearly far enough in my conversation with Mission to try and find her brother.

I may just finish it in its current state, so I can better experiment with allegiances towards the end game.

I couldn't help laughing at Darth Vader knighting his apprentice with a light saber in The Force Unleashed. What idiot wrote that part?

Don't know who wrote it, but I'm sure Mr. Lucas approved it. Anyways, that sounds pretty cool. Star Wars is a blend of high technology with spaceships and weaponry, but also retro/medieval concepts like swords and monarchies. Gamorrean guards carry battle axes, and in the time of KotOR, real metal swords were used by non-Jedi. Darth Vader is a Dark Lord of the Sith and he has his own castle, so it's not a stretch that the title carries the ability to decree knighthood upon subjects. Since he's not officially supposed to have an apprentice, the Emperor couldn't knight the secret apprentice, so Vader does it. And why shouldn't Vader have an apprentice, because after all, the Emperor had his Hands, such as Mara Jade.

I suppose that the Jedi would just wave their hands, snap their fingers, or take a vote to bestow Jedi Knighthood, and that all sounds so mediocre. Vader embraces the Sith teachings and he's knighting a Sith follower, and so the dark side approach would be to ignite the light saber and all but touch the shoulder of the recipient. In a way, that is the greatest respect the apprentice could show his master, that he would trust him in such a dangerous situation. A master could deceive his apprentice and kill him right there. A real sword placed at your shoulder would be no threat because it would do little damage unless super-sharp or raised to swing down again, a dead giveaway; a lightsaber could kill be the slightest graze. I like this concept of knighting.

I take it you haven't played KOTOR, or the many other quality Star Wars games.

Like Demolition, Super Bombad Racing, Flights of the Falcon and Clone Wars.

If Nintendo actually distributed their console, it wouldn't be as highly rated as it is. It's been 2 years since it's released and it's still unavailable in almost any store. Driving up the demand by keeping the supply low. I can understand that in the beginning, but for 2 years? Come on, seriously. I could be wrong and if they widely distributed it, it could make a ton more money than it is now. But the options they're making now leads me to believe they don't want to be beat out by PS3 and the 360, keeping the demand high is all they have. This is all just me speculating.

I take it you haven't played KOTOR, or the many other quality Star Wars games.

Like Demolition, Super Bombad Racing, Flights of the Falcon and Clone Wars.

I liked Star Wars: The Clone Wars (and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, as well). I remember thinking that the events of the former game were going to be the events of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. I was so naive, then.... (I still am).

Touche, Henry. Those games are for consoles. As you can probably tell, I am heavily biased in favor of PC gaming, and so I wasn't thinking about those crappy console Star Wars games. Most Star Wars games for the PC are at least good, and those that aren't can be modded to become better. The Wii is the only console we own aside from the Virtual Boy (remember that??), Game Boy, Genesis, and '2600.

I never really minded Mission, or any of the other characters. Did you ever play KotOR 2, Nick?

The actress who provided Mission's voice, Catherine Taber, also provided the voice of Padme in the latest Clone Wars cartoon, and provides the voice of Leia in The Force Unleashed. And she's fine.

Catherine_Taber.jpg

I think what Koray means is that Nintendo is keeping the demand, and thus the rating and praise since it's rare, for the Wii high by limiting the supply. If they distributed the console better and more widely, the novelty would wear off as everybody and their brother would have one.

I just wish they'd make better games for it.

I think what Koray means is that Nintendo is keeping the demand, and thus the rating and praise since it's rare, for the Wii high by limiting the supply. If they distributed the console better and more widely, the novelty would wear off as everybody and their brother would have one.

Yes.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the higher rating of the Wii version of Force Unleashed. Those who rated it higher just think that that version of the game is better, regardless of the availability of the console.

If Nintendo actually distributed their console, it wouldn't be as highly rated as it is. It's been 2 years since it's released and it's still unavailable in almost any store. Driving up the demand by keeping the supply low. I can understand that in the beginning, but for 2 years? Come on, seriously. I could be wrong and if they widely distributed it, it could make a ton more money than it is now. But the options they're making now leads me to believe they don't want to be beat out by PS3 and the 360, keeping the demand high is all they have. This is all just me speculating.

In this post, Koray is criticizing Nintendo's conscious decision to keep the popularity and demand of the Wii SYSTEM high by restricting the supply of the console itself to a mere trickle. The Wii has been out for 2 years, and is still a very rare commodity in the open market. The only reason that it's sales are doing better than or comparable to the superior PS3 and 360 is that people think it's something really really special, and so they want it, and buy it first chance they get. This has nothing to do with The Force Unleashed, which hits stores in barely two hours.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the higher rating of the Wii version of Force Unleashed. Those who rated it higher just think that that version of the game is better, regardless of the availability of the console.

I wasn't referring to the Wii version of TFU being rated higher than the PS3 or 360. That surprises me, because many of the game magazines would want you to believe that the improved graphics and physics engine of those systems would automatically make the game superior to the Wii. I prefer the Wii because it was cheaper, the games are cheaper, and its games are more party oriented and thus more fun. I'm looking forward to using the Wiimote as a light saber and having multiplayer, which are two reasons this game could score higher than the other two. Not all video game buyers buy games purely for the graphics. If that were the case, I'd have bought a PS3 by now, or upgraded my PC more recently than simply four years ago.

To be honest, I haven't played the Wii for months. I thought I'd enjoy Super Mario Galaxy more, but I don't, and Lego Star Wars doesn't hold my attention too long because I've no interest to try and beat it 100% and get every single secret goodie.

What does this have to do with the more favourable reviews of the Wii version of TFU? I'm fairly sure reviewers already have Wiis, and have for a couple of years now. So any "novelty" would have long since worn off, and high ratings are based on things like gameplay and fun.

Obviously people are clever enough to realize that pretty graphics and shiny bells aren't enough to make a game better than one where you wave your hands around in the air like a real Jedi Knight, or kick the living Jedi snot out of their mum or little brother? Those are fine selling points the Wii has over the consoles. The reviews that I have seen at Gamespot and IGN give the Wii good reviews, but give the PS3/360 better reviews.

Super Mario 3 is the best game ever made for the 8-bit NES. Period.

I know what you meant Koray.

SMB3 is just not my favorite NES game, because I can't beat it. I used a P-wing to fly over 8-1, died, went back to before it, got pissed off, and shut it down. That was on the console before the emulators could save progress, so I haven't tried it since.

Duck Tales is probably my favorite NES game just because I figured the entire game out entirely on my own, every secret, every strategy, and beat it many, many times.

SMB3 is just not my favorite NES game, because I can't beat it. I used a P-wing to fly over 8-1, died, went back to before it, got pissed off, and shut it down. That was on the console before the emulators could save progress, so I haven't tried it since.

My preferred version of SMB3 is from Super Mario All-Stars on SNES, which features upgraded graphics and sound as well as a save feature. And I always saved a cloud for 8-1. :pukeface:

I agree there John. I'd rather play the SNES All-Stars version of the original SMB 1, 2, and 3 just for that reason, too. Even though any emulator for the PC offers a save game feature. Nothing makes a little kid whine more than when you get to Bowser with a full complement of lives, die once, get mad, and turn it off, when they'd love to take over for you without having earned it themselves (if you can call using all 3 warp whistles earning it).

I'm impressed you remember level 8-1. I must admit that I had to look up your Monty Python reference because that's a sketch I hadn't seen before.

Ok quick question: where do I find the 'clean' versions of the main title and end title of Phantom Menace again? There's a clean main title on that ROTS DVD right... Any other versions in the files from the ftp? Is there a clean opening on the ftp for the end titles?

I agree there John. I'd rather play the SNES All-Stars version of the original SMB 1, 2, and 3 just for that reason, too. Even though any emulator for the PC offers a save game feature. Nothing makes a little kid whine more than when you get to Bowser with a full complement of lives, die once, get mad, and turn it off, when they'd love to take over for you without having earned it themselves (if you can call using all 3 warp whistles earning it).

I'm impressed you remember level 8-1. I must admit that I had to look up your Monty Python reference because that's a sketch I hadn't seen before.

I have SMB3 memorized. Sad, but true.

When I had the just the old NES version (and we're talking the age of 12-15 or so here) I would almost always get the whistles and just do worlds 1,2 and 8. I would only play the middle levels if I felt like something different. I think I only sat down and played through the whole thing start to finish once.

Oh, and fommes, the clean prequel recording of the Main Title is on the Musical Journey DVD that came with the RotS OST.

I would SO wear that.

And I edited my above post because I had Up Down Up Down instead of Up Up Down Down.

It doesn't matter. I could never make it out of the first level of Contra because whoever was my teammate would always mess up and get us killed.

Ah the good old days of cheat codes. A dying component to video games.

Super C is way better than its predecessor. Also, I always cheat in Super Mario Brothers 3 and get the magic whistles, which I then use to warp to the evil World 8. Also, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2 is awesome (Koji Kondo is the best, and I will stand by that).

I always like the cheats that didn't necessarily make the game easier, but more fun. GoldenEye had the best cheats: DK mode, fast motion, slow motion, paintball mode, duel wielding weapons, not only invincible Bond but invisible Bond. They were great. The older GTA games had awesome heats, like flying cars and crazy pedestrians. They omitted them from GTA4, which is another reason why I think it's the worst of the series.

My preferred version of SMB3 is from Super Mario All-Stars on SNES, which features upgraded graphics and sound as well as a save feature. And I always saved a cloud for 8-1. :P

Pansies. :(

I grew up eating and breathing Super Mario Brothers 3 on the NES. I'd typically play all the way through and get to Dark Land with 30-50 lives and a full power up stash. Though I admit to frequently using a whistle to skip the end of Pipe Land.

:P <-- *me after 5+ hours of game play*

My preferred version of SMB3 is from Super Mario All-Stars on SNES, which features upgraded graphics and sound as well as a save feature. And I always saved a cloud for 8-1. :)

Pansies. ;)

I grew up eating and breathing Super Mario Brothers 3 on the NES. I'd typically play all the way through and get to Dark Land with 30-50 lives and a full power up stash. Though I admit to frequently using a whistle to skip the end of Pipe Land.

;) <-- *me after 5+ hours of game play*

You are referring to the levels with the unlimited amount of Piranha Plants and random Koopa Troopas, correct?

I've just completed the first few levels of the game on my Wii. It's flawed, but a lot of fun. It really is satisfying having such power at your disposal.

I too am disappointed that a large portion of the music in the game is tracked from the saga - I'd have preferred more original stuff with new arrangements of old themes.

Still, I'm loving it.