'Childhood'

MSM

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an absolute masterpiece! The choice of harmonies and the way they progress, and how they're voiced for the orchestra is mind blowing.

First of all ... I love Michael Jackson. He was an amazing performer. I enjoy listening to him all of the time.

HOWEVER...

I find this song, and it's content, a little creepy... Far be it from me to judge what an artist chooses to express his feelings over. When the song was originally released, he had already had several allegations against him. Was this REALLY the most sensible subject to cover at that particular time?

This reader thinks not. It just gives me really uncomfortable vibes.

R.I.P. Michael!

It is an absolute masterpiece! The choice of harmonies and the way they progress, and how they're voiced for the orchestra is mind blowing.

Indeed, that's how I feel it too! The orchestration is Michael's own also?

Nobody happened to mentioned that the beginning of each verse sounds very similar to the C section of the Jaws Theme...

Perhaps because you're refering to Heal The World while this thread is about Childhood?

And the so called similarity between Jaws and Heal The World is really overblown IMO.

Nobody happened to mentioned that the beginning of each verse sounds very similar to the C section of the Jaws Theme...

Perhaps because you're refering to Heal The World while this thread is about Childhood?

And the so called similarity between Jaws and Heal The World is really overblown IMO.

Oops, you're right. I was thinking about Heal the World. My mistake. :P

Actually, the man behind the orchestration is Jeremy Lubbock, a longtime collaborator of both Michael and the rest of the Quincy Jones "family". And if anyone had artistic input on the song other than Jackson and Lubbock themselves, it would be David Foster, another longtime collaborator. He both performed the piano part and co-produced the record with Jackson. I think the song is wonderful and deeply poetic, however direct and intimate. One can sense how important it was for him to express his sadness in a song like this. Though I must say my favourite on HIStory would have to be 'Stranger in Moscow'. :P

In this interview, recording engineer Bruce Swedien shows off the score for 'Childhood' to CNN:

Now that we're talking HIStory anyway, one of my favorite songs on the album is Tabloid Junkie. The chorus especially is really good. I always thought it could have had a phenomenal single release. Now it remains a somewhat undiscovered gem which is also kinda cool in itself. :P