Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

Jay

You guys are funny. No one said anything about TinTin - I was just asking about an accordion because I want to mock up a cue that uses it. Through the power of google, I found out that EWQLSO Platinum apparently has accordion, but I only have EWQLSO Gold, which doesn't.

I swear on my mother's life I don't have any TinTin recording sessions, or know anyone who might.

EDIT: I typed that 20 minutes ago, but apparently forgot to click "post"

Thanks Esther, I'll check that library out!

We are not suspecting (atleast I am not) you of having any tintin recording sessions, in fact I sincerely believe you do not have them, but there is justified suspicion that you do have sheet music from Tintin. but even then, its a very outlandish suspicion

All I can say is:

1. There are certainly more scores out there in the world than just Tintin that feature accordion.

2. Just because somebody listened to an mp3 tagged a certain way doesn't mean it was real. I've listened to an album tagged as Howard Shore's King Kong score that turned out to be John Frizzel's Primeval. Just saying.

All I can say is:

1. There are certainly more scores out there in the world than just Tintin that feature accordion.

2. Just because somebody listened to an mp3 tagged a certain way doesn't mean it was real. I've listened to an album tagged as Howard Shore's King Kong score that turned out to be John Frizzel's Primeval. Just saying.

Then you should have nothing to worry about.

Since EWQLSO Gold doesn't have a contrabass clarinet, what is the next closest instrument I could use instead?

Same for Alto Sax?

Since EWQLSO Gold doesn't have a contrabassoon clarinet, what is the next closest instrument I could use instead?

You mean a contrabass clarinet? The closest would be a bass clarinet, with an extra octave added below, along with a slightly tweaked timbre and volume.

Alto sax? You could go with a tenor sax, but it wouldn't be as easy to replicate, since there's a big difference in tone.

You'll want to double-click on the MIDI object to open up the MIDI editor. Then you should see the individual notes. Select them all, and then look at the first note and pay attention to which piano key it's on. (Doesn't matter if you know the names - just look at where it fits into the pattern of white and black keys. The black keys alternate between sets of two and three.) Click and drag on the first note. If you drag it straight down, the notes will be pitched down without changing the rhythms or relationships between the notes. Basically, you want to drag until that first note gets to the same place in the piano keyboard pattern as it originally was, just one repetition down. That's one octave lower - same exact notes, just lower pitched.

Of course, this'll just move all the notes down. If you want to duplicate them, you should ctrl-click and drag instead of just clicking and dragging. Also, the range of EWQL's bass clarinet instrument might not go low enough, so you might be out of luck....

Awesome, thanks.

Sometime soon I need to organize and reformat my home computer to make room for more sample libraries! EWQLSO is good at covering most of the basics though. Took me a while to figure out I was supposed to use 9 Double Basses for my bass line; The sheet music I am mocking up labeled that as "contrabass" so I was using contra bassoon by mistake!

If I have multiple instruments on one line - say for example my percussion line has triangle for a while, then marimba for a while, then cymbal later - how do I split it into multiple lines so that I can use different sample libraries for each line?

Or, is there a way to leave it one line, but have different sample libraries play different parts of the track?

Hmmm, it does get tricky with percussion. Generally speaking, you do need to have a different track for each different virtual instrument, so you're not going to be able to have cymbals and marimba and triangle all on the same track, for instance.

What I would probably do is set up a track for each different virtual instrument and import the MIDI (or whatever) onto one of those tracks. Then ctrl-click and drag the MIDI object to the next track to duplicate it there, and keep doing that till you have a copy for each of the relevant tracks. Then go in and cut up the object for each track (hotkey C, IIRC?) so you can delete the parts that don't belong on each track. You also might have to open the MIDI editor to move some pitches around for stuff like cymbals, so that you actually hear the instrument. And if there are parts of the music where multiple different instruments are playing at the same time, you'll have to go in and delete the individual notes in the MIDI editor, too.

Is there any reason to tweak notes and stuff in Finale, or should I just do everything in Reaper?

If I have multiple instruments on one line - say for example my percussion line has triangle for a while, then marimba for a while, then cymbal later - how do I split it into multiple lines so that I can use different sample libraries for each line?

Or, is there a way to leave it one line, but have different sample libraries play different parts of the track?

You can choose one of 16 MIDI channels for each note. Just select one or multiple notes (you can drag a selection frame with the right mouse button), right-click one of them and select "Note channel" at the bottom to set the MIDI channel for the selected notes. Now in EWQLSO's interface you can also set a MIDI-channel for each loaded instrument, and now those notes only play the instruments assigned to that channel. Instruments set to "omni" will be played by all notes, independent of the note channel they're set to.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Jack, it's a shame you never finished your Get 'em, R-2! cue: from what you shown so far, you were pretty much dead-on with the actual music (which we can at least compare it to since a TOR video uses that segment almost in its entirety, sadly riddled with SFX)

Hopefully that bit will be cleanly available from the game rip. If not, hopefully Jack will finish his mockup (and correct the percussion ;)). If not, hopefully I'll do one that's complete and maybe half as good as Jack's. :P

Hey, Jack, it's a shame you never finished your Get 'em, R-2! cue: from what you shown so far, you were pretty much dead-on with the actual music (which we can at least compare it to since a TOR video uses that segment almost in its entirety, sadly riddled with SFX)

Maybe he was very busy.

Are there still plans to do other mockups for AOTC, such as the alternate section in "Padme Falls" or the different variations of "End Credits"? I would love to hear them if time permits their creation. Thanks for the ones that have been done already!

EWQLSO has a good piano, but it's not free so...

I might have a soundfont buried somewhere with a decent piano.

Hmmm, I have EWQLSO Gold and there is no piano...

Cool, I'll check that one out!

Are there still plans to do other mockups for AOTC, such as the alternate section in "Padme Falls" or the different variations of "End Credits"? I would love to hear them if time permits their creation. Thanks for the ones that have been done already!

Short answer: yes. :) I'm not allowed to share the materials themselves with anyone, but I can share mockups, and I intend to complete high-quality mockups of all the unavailable AOTC music as soon as I can. It's a little impossible because of my living arrangements right now, but that'll be changing before too long. I would definitely keep an eye on the mockups thread, or I might just start a whole new thread with all of them when the time comes.

That would be great Datameister, looking forward to a nice list with all the old and new mockups you will have completed by then. Thanks for your efforts on that front :)

Short answer: yes. :) I'm not allowed to share the materials themselves with anyone, but I can share mockups, and I intend to complete high-quality mockups of all the unavailable AOTC music as soon as I can. It's a little impossible because of my living arrangements right now, but that'll be changing before too long. I would definitely keep an eye on the mockups thread, or I might just start a whole new thread with all of them when the time comes.

Thanks for the update. I will be watching out for them, but there is no hurry of course.

Cool. Can't wait to see your beefed-up Get 'em, R-2 cue (which will probably come available shortly after the mockup is posted :P)

Cool. Can't wait to see your beefed-up Get 'em, R-2 cue (which will probably come available shortly after the mockup is posted :P)

Never mind.

• 1 month later...

Well, it has very nearly been two months since anybody has contributed to this thread. Any progress made on some of the mockups?

This was something I included at the end of my 8M2 Koeniggraetzer March cue on my Last Crusade edit. It's a pretty simple mockup of the timpani drum insert that plays when Indy bumps into Hitler. Beats using film rip because the crowd covers quite a bit of it, making it pretty much unusable unless you like crowd noise over your music. I don't have sheets so I based this on what I heard in the film.

http://www.multiupload.com/K0XM9DU1GR

Bear in mind that you will have to mix it one bit at a time over the cue as I didn't have precise timings in mind between each section.

I've been without access to my software and hardware for mockup creation since June, but I just finally got set up again a few days ago - yet I'm finding I lack the desire to work on any mockups at the moment. :( I'm working on a big non-musical project that's consuming all of my hobby time. I still have lots of mockups to do (and redo) once I get my motivation back, though.

I feel your pain, Datameister. Sometimes life projects will try to use up all the fun/hobby time :/

I'm itching to try out some new sample libraries I've got. Any requests for something fairly substantial (perhaps an entire missing cue, for example)?

Here is my promised list of mockup candidates!

Priority 1 - Likely never even recorded, or recorded but isn't in the film or on CD/boots/video games

1975 - Jaws

1m6s Typewriter Chord

1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom

1m7/2m1 Through Chinatown [bars 52-55]

2m3b Snowbank Sweetener

5m1 Entrance Of The Boy King

5m2b Exchange Of Glances

9m2 Willy In The Fryer [this one is partially used in film, but is mostly missing]

1989 - Indiana Jones and the The Last Crusade

7m2 Insert #2

11m4/12m1 The Canyon Of The Crescent Moon [first minute of the cue only, the rest is in the film and on CD]

10m1 Insert 2

10m1 Insert 3

10m1 Insert A

1991 - Hook

13m2 To War!! [original bar 37ish section only]

15m2 The End Of Hook [bars 27-40]

1993 - Jurassic Park

9m2 The T-Rex Chase [sections from beginning and end missing from film]

12m2 Hungry Raptor [sections from beginning and end missing from film]

1997 - The Lost World

6M2-7M1 Pt I Up in a Basket [section missing from film only]

6M2-7M1 Pt II Up in a Basket

10M1 Rialto Ripples [sections missing from film only]

11M3-12M1 High Bar and Ceiling Tiles [sections missing from film only]

12M3 Ludlow's Speech [ending only]

12M5 Monster on the Loose [section missing in film only]

14M2 The Saving Dart [ending only]

2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

2m4 Insert Diagon Alley Reveal

Quidditch and the Great Gryffindor Victory

2002 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

1m1 Prologue: Book II [sections that weren't revised only]

2004 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner Of Azkaban

02 1M3A That's a Lie

03 1M4X Aunt Marge Points the Finger

10 1M9B Second Collision [ending only]

14 2M3 The Train to Hogwarts Version II

24 3MC Befriending the Hippogriff [last third of the cue]

30 3M7A Clown Out of the Cupboard [beginning only]

29 3M7X New Beginning

32 3M10 Remembering Mother

36 3ME The Great Hall Ceiling [ending only]

39 4M2 Quidditch 2004 [ending only]

40 4M2XV Choral Overlay

41 4M3+4 Enter Winter [first half]

42 4M3+4 New Woods Walk and Birds Flight [first half]

43 4M5 Map to Snow Scene

45 4M10 Brief Snow Scene [section at end]

48 4M14 Dueling the Dementor

49 4M14 Insert for Patronus Light

50 5M1 Buckbeak's Sentence [section at end]

51 5M2 Reading the Map [section near beginning]

52 5M2A Reveal Your Secret54 5M5 The Crystal Ball [section]

61 6M2 The Confrontation Scene [sections removed from film]

62 6M4 Sirius and Harry [last two thirds]

66 6M5AN First Frozen Lake

69 7M1A Saving Buckbeak [ending only]

72 7M2A String Overlay

73 7M3 Buckbeak Saves the Day [opening only]

78 7M7 Ext Whomping Willow

80 7M9 Lupin's Departure [opening only]

81 7M11 A New Broomstick

2005 - Revenge Of The Sith

1m4A "Get 'Em R-2!" [bars cut from film only]

4m6 I Am The Senate [ending only]

Revenge Of The Sith (DVD Version) [original opening only]

2005 - Memoirs Of A Geisha

Somebody other than me will have to figure out this one!

Priority 2 - Only available recording is in the film itself, probably covered by sound effects

1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom

2m2a Bar 34 Insert

2m2b Bar 76 Insert

2m4 The Indian Village

3m1 The Old Priest's Tale

3m2 The Child Returns

3m2a Alternate Beginning

5m1x The Emperor's Entrance

5m2a The First Supper

7m2 More Sacrifice

7m1a Sacrifice Sweetener

7m1d Percussion Sweetener - One

7m2d Percussion Sweetener - Two

7m3d Percussion Sweetener - Three

7m4/8m1 Insert

8m2 Moloram's Speech

8m3 The Evil Potion

9m1x Sacrifice Continued

11m1 Insert

1m4-2m1x Sweetener

5m3 Intro

9m2 Final Ending

10m1 Insert 2

10m3-11m1 Insert 1

10m3-11m1 Insert 2

1991 - Hook

13m2 Insert Bar 37

13m3 Insert

1993 - Jurassic Park

1m1 Incident at Isla Nublar [final note only]

1m2 The Encased Mosquito

2m1 The Entrance of Mr. Hammond

3m3 Cartoon Demonstration

4m2 You Bred Raptors

5m1 The History Lesson

6m3 The Coming Storm

8m1 The Trouble with Dennis

9m2 The T-Rex Chase

11m1

12m2 Hungry Raptor

1997 - The Lost World

4M1 Fire at Camp

4M2 Corporate Choppers

5M2 Big Feet

5M3-6M1 Spilling Petrol

5M3-6M1 Pt II Horning In

6M2-7M1 Pt I Up in a Basket

7M2-8M1 Pain of Glass

8M2 Truck Stop [section dialed out of OST only]

8M3 Reading the Map

10M1 Rialto Ripples

11M3-12M1 High Bar and Ceiling Tiles

12M3 Ludlow's Speech

12M5 Monster on the Loose

Priority 3 - The recording has appeared on bootlegs

2m3-3m1 Sinister Visitors

3m2a The Holy Grail

4m2 Beneath The Floors

6m2 Discussing The Book

6m2x New Ending

6m3

6m4 Market Source

8m2 Koeniggraetzer March

9m2 New Ending

10m1 Insert 1

10m1 Fix for Bar 65

12m2 The Penitent Man Will Pass

1991 - Hook

4M5-5M1 Revised Ending

9M4 Insert

13M1 Tink Grows Up

15m2 The End Of Hook

I'm sure this list isn't complete, please feel free to post other cues that we have sheet music for but not recordings of!

I'm sure this list isn't complete, please feel free to post other cues that we have sheet music for but not recordings of!

Superman has a bunch of alternate/unused cues that were not recorded that are listed in the sheet music.

SupermanAlternates2.png

Feel free to make a list

----

My personal requests:

shorter cues to get you warmed up:

Hook: 15m2 The End Of Hook [bars 27-40] (the rest is available via the rear channels of the DVD, but those bars are replaced by an Insert then dialed out)

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom: 11m1 Insert

The Lost World: 14M2 The Saving Dart [ending only] (the rest of the cue is already on the OST)

Harry Potter 1: 2m4 Insert Diagon Alley Reveal

long cues:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: 9m2 Willy In The Fryer

The Lost World: 6M2-7M1 Pt II Up in a Basket

Harry Potter 1: Quidditch and the Great Gryffindor Victory

I might have a go at 4M14 Dueling the Dementor from PoA

"Quidditch and the Great Gryffindor Victory" There's no slate number. Where do I find this one? :P