BloodBoal

I just did that with Williams on another thread, let's do it for Morricone... for what it mean...

His current Top 10 on iTunes U.S.

Relevant?

Top 10 - Albums

1. Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone (Remastered)

2. The Mission

3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) [Remastered]

4. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

5. The Legend of 1900 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

6. Cinema Paradiso (Original Soundtrack Recording)

7. Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

8. Paradiso

9. C'era una volta il west (Once Upon a Time in the West) [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]

10. Film Music (2002)

Top 10 - Tracks

1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Titles) from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

2. The Ecstasy of Gold - L'estasi Dell'oro from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

3. The Mission: Gabriel's Oboe from Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone (Remastered)

4. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) [Remastered]

5. Gabriel's Oboe from The Essential Yo-Yo Ma

6. Gabriel's Oboe from The Mission (2:14)

7. The Funeral from Una Pistola Per Ringo/Il Ritorno Di Ringo (original motion picture soundtracks)

8. The Trio - Il Triello from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

9. Cinema Paradiso from Cinema Paradiso (Original Soundtrack Recording)

10. Gabriel's Oboe from The Mission (2:40)

What?! No Nostromo, Marco Polo or Moses the Lawgiver or Gott Mitt Uns or Orca on that list! Outrageous philistines!

I can certainly understand the draw of Morricone, and I've enjoyed bits and pieces of his music, but Williams transcends.

I think both trascend. Morricone in particular with his religious styled music, it can make you believe there's life after death. I mean, listen to this, particularly when Lisa Gerrard kicks in

I prefer Williams, but truth be told, there were moments that the music of Williams reminded me a bit of Morricone, never the other way around.

The only thing that comes to mind in which Morricone *could* be channeling Williams is this, particularly with the woodwinds -but you could argue he was going for a more Carl Orff inspired approach, it even has a concert hall structure, I can't really imagine it fitting as it with the picture

At 2:20

And maybe this

@Michael: I was more thinking of the main theme of Schindler's List (when I first heard it, I thought it sounded more Morricone than Williams - perhaps Williams was in a Euro mode) and then there's a few moments on Empire Of The Sun remind me of The Mission.

Tu sei sfacime!

My Italian is rusty but I'm calling you something derogatory!

LOL Sorry to disappoint you but that is not Italian: that is Neapolitan :D. You must have met someone from Naples or nearby to learn that, but no Italian coming from a different region will know it. The correct spelling is "sfaccimma", and I will let you find out yourself what it is ROTFL.

Tu sei sfacime!

My Italian is rusty but I'm calling you something derogatory!

LOL Sorry to disappoint you but that is not Italian: that is Neapolitan :D. You must have met someone from Naples or nearby to learn that, but no Italian coming from a different region will know it. The correct spelling is "sfaccimma", and I will let you find out yourself what it is ROTFL.

Va fa Napoli!