The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I definitely plan on playing it. though I just tried turning on the GBPocket and the batteries were dead (expired in 2007, lol) and now I am attempting to use my Gameboy Advance but that doesn't seem to be working either. Too bad they never remade or even ported this game to other consoles (actually, I think its in the virtual console for 3DS now, but I don't have a 3DS yet)

Oracles of Ages/Seasons are the only Zelda games I don't own in any form (well, other than Skyward Sword)

I'll pick them up eventually, probably as used cartridges, assuming I can get either my GBPocket or GBA to work again.

I want to sit on my couch or on my bed to play zelda games, not my office.

Plus, it's legal if I have the cartridges. Plus the collector in me wants to own the entire series physically :)

Damn, after breezing through most of Final Fantasy IV, I got my ass handed to me by Golbez last night. I've generally been enjoying the harder difficulty of the DS remake, but they made Golbez WAY harder than he used to be. And the worst part is every time I fail, I have to go from my save point into a castle to watch a long cutscene, then beat an easy boss (Calcabrina), then there's another long cutscene, THEN I can finally fight Golbez. I hate that.

Anyways I tried 3-4 times and he just destroyed me everytime. Gonna have to come up with a new strategy. It's tough because before the battle starts he kills all but one of your characters, and then you only have a short time to revive and heal the others before he attacks your whole party at once. Brutal

Anyways I tried 3-4 times and he just destroyed me everytime. Gonna have to come up with a new strategy. It's tough because before the battle starts he kills all but one of your characters, and then you only have a short time to revive and heal the others before he attacks your whole party at once. Brutal

That's the type of battle that haunts you even when your not playing the game

I've been thinking about it all day at work today. Now I'm finally in bed for the night and able to try again :P

• 2 months later...

So anyone got the WIIU?

The controller looks really crappy for regular gaming , but I'm somewhat interested in it's graphical capabilities. Although no launch games interest me right now.

It's expensive too

• 3 months later...

Cause it's awesome! The SNES controller is my favorite controller of all time (and the SNES is my favorite system of all time). I'd love to use that to play emulated NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, and TG16 games

I like older games way more than the games being made today, though admittedly I haven't played many of them - just going by what I see and read.

I much prefer the technologically advanced titles of today with their audiovisual immersion benefits, but the oldies were great in their purity, yes. I also miss the 8 and 16bit eras distinct lack of handholding and trust in the player to figure shit out for themselves. These days developers (and publishers) are fucking TERRIFIED that players might get stuck and bored while progressing through their games.

The new Tomb Raider was a patronisingly intrusive pain in the arse in that regard.

I suppose, if that's your thing. I played all those 16bit classics twenty years ago and while they were great at the time I don't ever want to return to them.

That.

I can't understand for the life of me why someone would want to re-play Zelda the Ocarina of Time every few years and get stuck in loops of playing games that were released 20 years ago.

Ultima Underworld 2 is my favorite game of all time (by memory). It would totally suck if it was released "as is" today and I'd never play it again

They actually just re-released Ocarina of Time last year for the Nintendo 3DS so you can play it with up-to-date modern graphics

I played Ocarina of Time once.That's enough.

It's also overrated. It was good but not as great as everyone say. Yeah the puzzles were hard (i had to buy a printed guide because I got stuck), but everything else was mediocre RPG wise. And the Nintendo 64 controller sucked so the difficulty was mostly a hardware problem

oh and when I'd get stuck it's because I wasn't facing the right pixel on the screen in the right angle, or couldn't see the button I had to press on the screen because of the poor contrast of the graphics. I'm not sure that would cut it these days

Sounds like there's something wrong with your TV or your brain, I beat Ocarina of Time just fine with no problems

I know you were. I beat the game on my N64 on an old tube TV and never had the problems you described.

I only play games that interest me, I have no desire to play every game in existence.

That way I can play both new games, and old games, and not get stuck just playing either.

I only play games that interest me, I have no desire to play every game in existence.

That way I can play both new games, and old games, and not get stuck just playing either.

THIS

I read IGN and Gamespot news daily.

I keep track of every game that will potentially interest me . The only 'old' games I play is 2-3 year old releases on this generation consoles I may have missed, but I don't go further in the past

I do agree with the "Old Controls make the game harder" thing though, for example, in the original Zelda, you cannot diagonally, so when you have to hit those knight enemies in the back, it makes it ten times harder than it would be in say ALTTP.

so I would not mind if they were remade with updated controls and better graphics, as long as the core concept/style stayed the same.

And I played OOT CE on Wii, on a HD/Flatscreen TV hooked up with component cables, while running in progressive scan mode, and I did not have any problems, and I did not have any when I just had a huge samsung tube TV.

I love my older games but outdated control schemes really hinder the experience for me. I don't know how I ever beat MGS back in the day. Trying to play the HD remasters is a pain in the ass, I simply can't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I do remember this game! It's one of my all time favorites, and one of the few NES games that I actually beat, and all on my own without ever looking up hint guides or strategies. (Even with such information, I was never able to beat any of the Mario games.) I'd love to dust it off and play it again, but the controls using a 360 gamepad on an emulator aren't as smooth as the original gamepad, and I rarely have all the time needed for a thorough walkthrough.

That being said, I'm miffed this is coming out for the Wii U because I really don't want to "upgrade" my Wii, if you can even call it that. It's a charming idea, but isn't something I'm going to enjoy for a while.

But were they to, say, replace all the crappy NES music with Ron Jones' score...I would totally pass out from surprise.

I don't do speed runs myself. I'm not twitchy or precise enough. I just like watching them. I haven't played a game for longer than an hour in many months.

Only Mario 2 on the Game Boy. Maybe its Mario 1. Definitely it's Donkey Kong, but that's not a Brothers game.

I can't remember my beef with Mario 1. I know I got far. In 2, I think I stopped at the rat. And in 3, I needed a P wing to skip a tank level, but died in the next, and didn't have another, so I said fuck it and quit.

Wow. I've lost count of the number of times I've beaten Mario 1, 2, and 3. I can beat Mario 1 in 10 minutes!

yes to beat it in under 10 minutes, you do 1-1, 1-2 -> 4-1, 4-2 -> 8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 8-4