The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Zelda games are awesome but I don't like the ones that only work multiplayer

There has only been one as yet IIRC and that was a spin-off attached to a GBA remake of ALTTP.

Apparently Nintendo had an embarrassing E3. But was it worse than Microsoft's two years ago? Surely not!

Well, few things are worse than that conference. Sony's 2006 one is. Microsoft's done a good job of improving things since then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here use an RCA switchbox to connect various gaming systems to the TV, that they could recommend a good solution? I want my Wii to coexist with my fiancé's Gamecube and N64 on the same TV.

Does anyone here use an RCA switchbox to connect various gaming systems to the TV, that they could recommend a good solution? I want my Wii to coexist with my fiancé's Gamecube and N64 on the same TV.

The Wii plays all GameCube games, using the original controllers, so you don't even need the GameCube. Though if she has the Game Boy Player attachment, you're SOL.

I still have my gamecube hooked up to my TV using good old SCART, which also has connectors for the PS2 and Xbox, but I can only connect one at a time. All my newer consoles (from X360 on) pass through the receiver using HDMI. I don't own a Wii.

The Wii plays all GameCube games, using the original controllers, so you don't even need the GameCube. Though if she has the Game Boy Player attachment, you're SOL.
Then I'll put that cube under the bed and just need a switcher for the N64. I just wondered if anyone recommended a device. Amazon has cheap options with a few one star you get what you pay for warnings.

A Game Boy adapter sounds cool. The battery in my Donkey Kong cart is long dead, so it doesn't save game progress.

So, if your TV DOES have more than one RCA input....... and you can plug the Wii into one and the N64 into the other........ then you don't need a switching box......... correct?

It doesn't matter. Last time I looked behind my TV, I recognized a problem and a switchbox is the solution I rationalized. I ask for help, only to be told I don't have a problem, it's all in my mind. And that's OK. I'm just glad you don't answer phones for a hospital. Lol.

I never said it was all in your mind. I'm saying that if your TV has 2 sets of RCA inputs, and since you now know you don't need to use the GameCube, you can use the two RCA inputs of your TV, one for each system. This is a better solution than purchasing a new box to accomplish the exact same thing (its actually one less step, and one less thing to potentially break).

I am trying to help!

Jay: 911, what is the nature of the emergency?

Panicked woman: Hello? I can't hear you properly, it's a bad line. I need help - HE'S GOING TO KILL ME!

Jay: why didn't you just use a landline instead?

• 3 weeks later...

So awesome - I love all those games. Well, I've only played 1-11 and 13,14, but I hope to rectify that soon.

A Wii U purchase seems very imminent. Mario Maker, Mario 3D World, New SMBWU, MK8, Wind Waker HD, Zelda 19..... Mario Galaxy 3? oh yes.

Anyways, more Mario fun for SMB's 30th anniversary:

Nifty infographic traces Mario’s creation and evolution

Shigeru Miyamoto explains the making of Super Mario Bros.’ first level

Yes I too enjoyed Mario Sunshine, but I remember it being not super well received, which kind of went along in general with all of the GameCube not being a huge hit. That's really the era where Sony and Microsoft cemented themselves, and the types of games their systems got that Nintendo didn't, as #1 and #2 and Nintendo's been #3 since.

And yes I've been watching other videos with Miyamoto (there's one of him and the same other guy previewing Zelda 19 that's interesting) and he seems like a really smart dude. He directed like all the absolute best Nintendo games and started like all their big franchises.

Funny to see that the 1983 version of Mario had the color of his overalls and shirt switched for some reason (blue shirt and red overalls).

Or that he briefly reverted back to his original colours in 1985 and now looks like his 1983 version again, except that he was allowed to keep his red cap.

By the way, I think the 1985-1990 illustration version is by far the best of all.

Yes I too enjoyed Mario Sunshine, but I remember it being not super well received, which kind of went along in general with all of the GameCube not being a huge hit.

I still believe it's wrong to turn the Mario platforms into a 3D game. Granted, I've only played one version of those (and that was Sunshine), but it's essentially a different game, and everything that made SMB what it was is either gone or doesn't work.