Goldsmith's Timeline to be released!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's a matter of taste,I like Goldsmith less recently because he writes less counterpoints in his cues and his orchestrations are thinner than they used to.

K.M.

Has anyone else heard the score yet? Since I got it through a connection (Who's still owes me Bernstein's Gangs of New York! :)), and I hear a few of them a surfacing around. It's surprisingly very good quality- I think it's the best unused scores in the past few years. Probably since Randy Newman's Air Force One.

(BTW- People have asked me, but I'm not allowed to trade this or make a CD-R)

Tasteless Joe. Real tasteless.  

I take that as a compliment, I achieved my desired effect, much like Jerry did with his awful Nemesis score which was

Tasteless Joe. Real tasteless

Joe, I don't have a problem with your thoughts. It's okay to believe that someones quality may suffer after an illness. It happens all the time. I don't like the way you expressed it though. It's incredibly tasteless. Look, if you're proud of the way you expressed yourself, more power to you, but I find it to be incredibly offensive, especially towards someone of Jerry's stature. I know for a fact that I've heard Nemesis more than you, and when I hear it, I hear typical Goldsmith action music. Nobody but him could have written a cue like "The Mirror" or "Odds and Ends". It may not be up to the level of Star Trek - The Motion Picture or Total Recall, but it's certainly as good as the action stuff he's been writing for the last couple of years (before he got sick) and certainly better than the stuff coming out of Media Ventures (RIP?) being passed off as music. I can't hear anything in it to make me think this is music written by a man who's been through an incredibly intense ordeal. I'm glad he didn't give up and was able to give us a score like Star Trek - Nemesis.

To say such a comment as you did in this thread (and last year in similar threads) shows a surprising lack of compassion on your part. I hope you treat loved ones better than this.

Neil

Sorry, but I have a big chip on my shoulders regarding Jerry. And believe it or not the lack of any PC compassion towards Jerry is really valid. Chemo damages and destroys cells in the body, and Jerry hasn't been the same since.

The fact that you have heard Nemesis more that I means you like it, and I don't.

My copy resides in another country, which isn't quite far enough away.

Jerry has been extremely lazy in his approach to Star Trek, and I wish that his name had not been attached to the last 3 films.

He once was great, he's not even good anymore.

Sorry, but I have a big chip on my shoulders regarding Jerry.  And believe it or not the lack of any PC compassion towards Jerry is really valid.

I didn't realize he did something personally to you to warrant such anger.

Neil

There isn't any real anger just dislike.

Anger requires more of an investment.

I prefer to remember Jerry from the 70's and 80s when his talent was evident.

I was browsing the FSM forum when I came across the Timeline thread. I have two questions.

Why the hell do they react so furiously against any mention of bootlegs? (OOHH! "He said the word. Better talk about something else. How have you been lately? How are your children? Oh look! A bird in the sky!") I mean, of course I don't agree with taking away money from composers blablabla, but if a good and fine score or part of a score is withheld, I don't see a reason not to try to get it, albeit in mp3 format - as long as it isn't released officially. Oh I'll get the official score. And I'll try to obtain unreleased tracks as well, until it's released completely... Jeez, the whole place is almost going nuts when there's a question about a bootleg.

Second, I picked up that the release of Timeline might very well be a shortened release of, say, 40 minutes. What a pity. I like a Deluxe edition to be quite complete - and indeed, let the fans decide what they omit on their bought version.

Any additional thoughts?

Greetings!

Anybody? Just liked to hear your thoughts slash reactions...

Oh, and what I also 'found out' there, is that it seems that Mr Thaxton is almost completely responsible for the decrease of isolated score tracks on DVDs... Somebody said something about "while nobody asked any questions about those tracks, Ford brought legal issues to the attention of the studios"...

Thank you. That's very nice of you. (This is hardly an attack on the person of Mr Thaxton, I'm just expressing my regret about this.)

In 99% of the time, when I'm browsing DVDs in a store, I look at the back of discs to find out about any possible isolated score. No score? What a pity. No buy neither. Really hope some studios read this! :spiny:

Same here...

:wave:

Greetz!

The Game of Their Lives, appears to be a stupid inspirational sports movie about an American soccer team that bea an English one in the 50's. It sounds like one of the most pathetic attempts to cash in on the world cup craze from a couple of years ago. They had to go back 50 years to find an American soccer team that won something.

And he's doing the TV movie Empire Falls for frequent collaborator Fred Schepisi. He's worked with Schipisi on 5 other films, including I.Q. and the much loved Russia House.

That actualy sounds far more interesting- it has one of the best casts ever in a TV movie, and one better than 99.9 percent of most theatricaly released ones. The cast includes: Dennis Farina, William Fichtner, Paul Newman, Estelle Parsons, Aidan Quinn, Joanne Woodward, Robin Wright Penn and the man himself - Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Oh and Ed Harris is the star ;):P

And I know there's almost no connection, but yesterday I met Stephen Fry, who is one of the stars of I.Q. He's a really funny guy. He was in several of the Blackadders, Wilde, A Civil Action and Gosford Park among others.

He was promoting his debut film as director, Bright Young Things.

Morlock- who in the past year has met Christopher Reeve, Richard Gere and Whitney Huston (With her allegedly abusing husband)!

The Game of Their Lives, appears to be a stupid inspirational sports movie about an American soccer team that bea an English one in the 50's. It sounds like one of the most pathetic attempts to cash in on the world cup craze from a couple of years ago. They had to go back 50 years to find an American soccer team that won something.

This film is directed by David Anspaugh, whom Jerry worked with before and created 2 very beloved scores Hoosiers and Rudy

I've only heard Rudy in concert back in 2001, it's great.

And yes, David Anspaugh makes those inspirational, life affirming sports movies that teach us that if we really put our mind to something, we will succeed.

American audiences seem to gobble them up, and I just rather stick my finger in my troath.

I personally don't like those kinda films, but they can produce good scores.

I dunno- I'm imagining something like The Natural for the Score. It just sounds like a Randy Newman story.

I don't like any of those kinds of movies- I don't like Rocky, Karate Kid, The Power of One... Actualy, I guess I just don't John G. Avildsen!

While I think all the praise for Goldsmith's Timeline is overhyped, much like Nemesis, I will purchase the score since Varese is making the effort to release it.

Plus I still enjoy listening to Jerry's music .

• 1 month later...

Sorry to ressurect this post, but I would like to know if there is any more news as to when exactly this will be released?

By the way... have any of you ever heard the Bill Brown score for the old Timeline game (it came out in 1999). Its actually a pretty good score. I have the complete score of it (actually traded it with another score with Chris Crusher), but here are some tracks/clips at his site:

http://bbmusic.crosswinds.net/musicG4.htm#Timeline

So there are actually 3 scores for Timeline. Lol.

I just found 29 tracks of Goldsmith's Timeline on the Internet.

I didn't knew, that it is already avaible!

Very fine music, I can't wait to get the Varöse Edition :P

Nemesis