UK Star Wars Saga Concerts with the CBSO in October & November

mahler3

Looking forward to the Nottingham Concert. The choice of pieces look great, but I'm quite confused by not including 'Han and Leia's theme' in the Empire Strikes Back section of the concert? It's a very important theme in that film so not including it makes no sense.

Still, if you're putting together a star wars concert, missing Hans and Leia, out but putting a Jar Jar Binks piece in there just makes no sense at all.

I don't think it's on the Williams-approved list of concert suites available for rental.

Still, if you're putting together a star wars concert, missing Hans and Leia, out but putting a Jar Jar Binks piece in there just makes no sense at all.

I don't think it's on the Williams-approved list of concert suites available for rental.

When I attended the other CBSO concert a few years ago they had an early copy of Linclon suite from Williams himself. Before it even got published.

Oh wait, I misread your post. ;)

Never mind, carry on. :)

Karol

Looking forward to the Nottingham Concert. The choice of pieces look great, but I'm quite confused by not including 'Han and Leia's theme' in the Empire Strikes Back section of the concert? It's a very important theme in that film so not including it makes no sense.

It seemed a little a strange to me that Throne Room wasn't at the end after the Forest Battle, still great though. They Encore with The Imperial March at Birmingham too.

• 4 weeks later...

I went back and forth on that, particularly as the Throne Room Fanfare is referenced at the end of ROTJ's credits. However I felt The Forest Battle is strong enough as a rousing closer and fits the chronological journey which builds to Episode 7.

Ref Han Solo & the Princess, as Jim said it's not approved for performance. Trust me, there were loads of cues I would have liked to include. Battle in the Snow / The Final Battle / Anakin's Dark Deeds / Sail Barge Assault / The Little People Work etc. etc.

• 1 month later...
On 12 October 2015 at 9:03 AM, tannhauser said:

Has anyone heard the "London Concert Orchestra"? Hoping to go to this with some friends, as I'll be in London at the time. But can't find out anything about them and a bit apprehensive about how well they'll do.

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=18370

Did you go to this in the end, Tannhauser?  If so I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the orchestra.  The same orchestra is doing another concert of John Williams music at the Royal Festival Hall later this year but I have never seen or heard them play.

Rightly or wrongly, I tend to associate Raymond Gubbay concerts as being aimed at people who need to be told what music they like; the concerts are often marketed with phrases such as "in period costume", "by candlelight", "with real cannons" or "with a fantastic firework finale."  Consequently I tend to run a mile, but am I doing the orchestra a disservice?

Royal Festival Hall John Williams concert

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

Did you go to this in the end, Tannhauser?  If so I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the orchestra.  The same orchestra is doing another concert of John Williams music at the Royal Festival Hall later this year but I have never seen or heard them play.

Rightly or wrongly, I tend to associate Raymond Gubbay concerts as being aimed at people who need to be told what music they like; the concerts are often marketed with phrases such as "in period costume", "by candlelight", "with real cannons" or "with a fantastic firework finale."  Consequently I tend to run a mile, but am I doing the orchestra a disservice?

Royal Festival Hall John Williams concert

As it happened I couldn't make it to the Williams one but I did go to the "Best of Bond" concert in the same series.  The orchestra played very well, although of course the orchestration for Bond is very different and brass-focused.   There were a dozen string players at most - but I'm sure there will be more in attendance for Williams!