Brush On Silk Concert Arrangement: one of Williams greatest pieces?

Sandor

Nobody ever talks about the concert arrangement of Brush On Silk from Memoirs Of A Geisha.

I feel this is actually one of Williams' greatest works with a build up which may be the most profound of Williams' entire career (!).

The sound quality of the YouTube video below is abysmal of course, but it's the only video I could find which features the piece.

In order to grasp the power of this piece you will need to listen to the entire piece uninterrupted to experience the powerful build up of what initially appears to be a 'simple' and 'minimalistic' work.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandor, what speakers and amp are those, dude?

They're not mine; I just inserted a video found on YouTube.

The uploader mentions this however: Tang Band W8-1808 with Luxman LV 105, and this: http://www.madisound.com/loudspeaker_specifications/FE206En.pdf

Thank YOU for reminding me about this piece - I'm going to listen to the entire "The Music Of America" album now!

Thank YOU for reminding me about this piece - I'm going to listen to the entire "The Music Of America" album now!

You're welcome and I LOVE that album..! :)

The whole suite is a fantastic translation of the central ideas of the score into a concert setting. The Brush on Silk is also one of my favourite movements of the work.