• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3812 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

John Williams' War Horse has been nominated for the popular Broadcast Film Critics (aka "Critics' Choice") Awards. Here's the full list:

BEST SCORE
“The Artist” – Ludovic Bource
“Drive” – Cliff Martinez
“The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
“Hugo” – Howard Shore
“War Horse” – John Williams

http://www.hollywood...ics-list-272679

#2 Greg1138

Greg1138

Down Once More...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

Nice one - and at least 3 decent scores in there to mix things up (I'm not familiar with "Drive").

Thanks for the heads up.

Greg

#3 Joe Brausam

Joe Brausam

A horn player.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

It's nice to see some worthwhile scores with nominations this year. I want War Horse to win the Oscar, obviously, but if Hugo or even The Artist wins I won't be completely disappointed. Both of those, musically, are worlds better than The Social Network!

(I do believe that The Social Network was very effective in the film, so I can't fault it there.)

#4 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17488 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

Let's hope for a win for Johnny! :)

Although as said above majority of the nominated scores are quite classy.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#5 filmmusic

filmmusic

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3583 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

Can you imagine the double consecutive win of Santaolalla, being repeated with Reznor-Ross at the Oscars?

I'm not familiar with "Drive"

Listen here ;)
(The Martinez samples are at 1:50-5.25)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peymmIeEdls
May the Fourth be with us and A NEW HOPE for the original trilogy on Bluray!

#6 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9539 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

It seems to be, looking at all these award nominations, that The Artist, Hugo, and War Horse are locked for best score nomination. The other two spots could be filled with Drive (although the prominient use of songs and previously written pieces might hurt its chances), one of the Desplat scores, Tintin or Girl With The Dragon Tatoo
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#7 TownerFan

TownerFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3812 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

Williams will be nominated only for War Horse, but the award will be given ultimately to The Artist for sure. Mark my words.

The other nominees will probably be Howard Shore for Hugo, Desplat for Extremely Loud or The Ides of March and Reznor & Ross for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Looks like the Best Picture winner will be either The Artist or Hugo for sure--these are movies that celebrate the art of movies and we all know Hollywood really loves valentines to itself.

#8 filmmusic

filmmusic

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3583 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

oh,, the artist is that good? I hadn't imagined..
Although I am not sure if i can watch a film without dialogue..

#9 Michael

Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2304 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

:eh:

You're kidding, right??
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#10 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

A Very Respectable Messenger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16083 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

You're kidding, right??

What are you trying to tell us, Michael? That you like listening to background music? :lol:

PrincessLeia_zps735e1986.png

#11 Michael

Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2304 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

What are you trying to tell us, Michael? That you like listening to background music? :lol:

He said that he wasn't sure if he could watch a film without dialogue, right? That kinda shocked me, considering how many silent films there have been out there over the years.

And I thought we all loved listening to the so called background music. It's what most people understand as a film score, right? ;)
If you start taking yourself seriously, then you’re in deep trouble! - Jerry Goldsmith

#12 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16083 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

And I thought we all loved listening to the so called background music. It's what most people understand as a film score, right? ;)

Film score? The background music? Who listens to that? I'll tell you who: some deranged people! Why can't they listen to pop, rap, rock music, like everyone else? These guys are weird. I'm shitting my pants everytime I meet one of them. You never know what can happen with them... They may stab you in the back! There is one who bit me, once. I think his name was Stiff, or something like that...

#13 Michael

Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2304 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

:lol:

#14 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17488 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

I mean film music doesn't even have words, like lyrics, man. And if there is, it is some mumbo jumbo moon man made up language. You can't dance to it. It is just weird. I mean that is like totally deranged BloodBoal. Like totally.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#15 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16083 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

Yeah. A friend of mine even told me that these guys gather during secret reunions where they kill sacrificial lambs in the name of a certain John T. Williams, and then drink the lambs' blood, and do some weird editing stuff.
And don't get me started on the whole invented lyrics thing! All this "Korah Balabak" stuff, I mean, what the fuck? Can't they just write lyrics that mean something? Like "Papa, paparazzi"?

#16 eitam

eitam

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

Come on people, this is nonsense! The Pulp Fiction soundtrack is awesome! And just listen to the Pirates of Caribbean theme song, it's epic! You can't just say that all soundtracks are useless/awful!

#17 Romão

Romão

Benfiquista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9539 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

Williams will be nominated only for War Horse, but the award will be given ultimately to The Artist for sure. Mark my words.

The other nominees will probably be Howard Shore for Hugo, Desplat for Extremely Loud or The Ides of March and Reznor & Ross for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Looks like the Best Picture winner will be either The Artist or Hugo for sure--these are movies that celebrate the art of movies and we all know Hollywood really loves valentines to itself.

That's pretty much it. I'd bet money on it
The Keyboard is mightier than the sword

#18 BloodBoal

BloodBoal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16083 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

Come on people, this is nonsense! The Pulp Fiction soundtrack is awesome! And just listen to the Pirates of Caribbean theme song, it's epic! You can't just say that all soundtracks are useless/awful!

I agree on POTC, but only because it's from Hans Zimmer, the only decent film composer, and because there aren't many what they call "instruments" in these scores.

#19 filmmusic

filmmusic

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3583 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

You're kidding, right??

No. I don't know if I'm ready yet to watch silent films.
Just 2 years ago I started watching classic films (1930-1980) (I mean apart from the big ones that I have watched from a young age like Ben-Hur, Cleopatra, Ten Commandments, Psycho etc.) and now I have watched over 700 such films. i rarely see a new film..
But with the silents, I'm not ready yet.
Although i did watch those French animation films and I liked them. I'm not sure about live-action though..

#20 Michael

Michael

Really?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2304 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

You're kidding, right??

No. I don't know if I'm ready yet to watch silent films.
Just 2 years ago I started watching classic films (1930-1980) (I mean apart from the big ones that I have watched from a young age like Ben-Hur, Cleopatra, Ten Commandments, Psycho etc.) and now I have watched over 700 such films. i rarely see a new film..
But with the silents, I'm not ready yet.
Although i did watch those French animation films and I liked them. I'm not sure about live-action though..

I suggest you start with Chaplin and Keaton. That's the best place to start with silent films.

And you don't need to be "ready" to watch silent films. Just try one, and you'll see its as interesting as a talked one :)

#21 Chaac

Chaac

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9683 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

Oooh! I remember I saw several silent films when I was a kid and loved them. The General, Battleship Potemkin, a few Chaplin short films. Just had a major flashback here.

I have to see more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users