Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

http://www.bafta.org...13,3584,BA.html

Here's the five nominees

ANNA KARENINA Dario Marianelli
ARGO Alexandre Desplat
LIFE OF PI Mychael Danna
LINCOLN John Williams
SKYFALL Thomas Newman

Winners will be announced on February 10.

#2 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16118 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Congratulations to the Maestro and other nominees. :)

The list looks pretty much like I imagined it would.

Williams for the win!

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#3 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64222 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Rooting for Coolman and Skyfall!

#4 hornist

hornist

.Next One Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4967 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Oh, you're still flirting Alice...

Thomas is good.

#5 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9302 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

That's the least inspiring list of nominees I've seen in years. I have at most a few tracks from each of those.

Not really rooting for anyone this year. It would be nice to see Newman receive a major award, but it would be for the wrong reason (the UK wanting to pat itself on the back for making the best Bond film of all time).

#6 Stefancos

Stefancos

The Road Goes Ever On And On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64222 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Oh, you're still flirting Alice...

Who?

#7 Josh500

Josh500

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9682 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Wooohoooo! Congrats!!

#8 crocodile

crocodile

A part-time Horner apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13713 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Keeping fingers crossed.

Karol
"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#9 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26604 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

Newman won it. Argo got best film and director. Lincoln only got the one award, for Day Lewis.

I haven't seen Lincoln yet and so I'm pleased for Affleck and Argo, because the film was brilliant.

#10 Richard

Richard

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4896 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

"Skyfall"? A BAFTA for best score? Are they joking????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Incanus

Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16118 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

Oh it is the alluring British charm of the name of James Bond that addled the BAFTA voters' brains.

Congratulations to Mr. New/Snooze/Coolman! :)

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#12 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 26604 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Skyfall won Outstanding British Film, which is patriotic nonsense. Not the award, but that daft plot hole riddled popcorn flick getting it. It was supremely entertaining, but I'm just not into this thing of British awards thingys falling over themselves to congratulate it.

But then again maybe a Bond movie was literally the best movie we could knock together (in collaboration with MGM and Columbia) this past year. In which case congrats I suppose. But is that it?

#13 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13713 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Newman won it. Argo got best film and director. Lincoln only got the one award, for Day Lewis.

I haven't seen Lincoln yet and so I'm pleased for Affleck and Argo, because the film was brilliant.

Brilliant? How?

Karol

"Modern, serious music has become embroiled in an intellectual discussion that has no place in music. Certainly, the great composer of the past were geniuses and used their intellect, but only to serve their emotions and guide their craft. Not to dictate to them what they should or shouldn't write" - Michael Kamen, 1995

#14 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 26604 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

I think I touched on my extremely positive reaction to it a little in the film thread, Karol.

#15 BloodBoll

BloodBoll

Rich in Fish!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7078 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Newman's speech:

#16 Richard Penna

Richard Penna

Somewhere else

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9302 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

The BBC not only put that in the 'earlier this evening' bit - they also only showed about two seconds of Newman getting up from his seat before they cut to the next one.

So thanks for finding that clip :)

I do wish they'd ask some less run-of-the-mill questions though.

#17 Blumen Cohlsman

Blumen Cohlsman

John Williams's Shrink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Good for Snoozeman.  I generally think his music is unbearably dull, but he did a fantastic job on Skyfall. 

#18 crocodile

crocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13713 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

While not a fan/hater of this work, it is undeniably one of the best scores "as heard in the film" of 2012. It serves the story well, adds to the film's cooleness (in tandem with cinematography) and makes it better overall (you forget the script is kind of stupid). And also it gets some breathing space thanks to a great sound mix.

Having said that, I wish he got recognized earlier for some of his other, much better, work. There is a sense of irony that he should be awarded for the best "original" music.

Karol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users