PBS' "Evening at Pops" coming back or not?

Foxfan

It went on hiatus last year, saying they were "repositioning" themselves for a return in 2006, but so far I haven't heard anything about it.

With the "John Williams SPECTACULAR" concerts scheduled, it would be nice if one of them would be broadcast!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Being a fan of the Boston Pops, I make an effort (to remember) to watch / record "Evening At Pops" whenever it's on. Unfortunately, I missed the JW episode from 2004. I think that's the one (with "The Last Crusade"and other films). If anyone has it - and the ability to make me a DVD of it - I would owe them something very special indeed . Should I visit the Trading Board for matters such as this?

I really hope EaP is brought back. PBS should just show all the JW ones marathon-like. I can dream, can't I?

I have that particular performance on DVD. If you want to PM me where to send it, I can have a copy made this week and send it.

Here is an interesting piece of gossip (I won't reveal my scource, but it is creditable):

Lockhart was in recently to negotiate his contract with the Pops. Turns out that Lockhart wanted x number of dollars more and x number of years on his contract. The Pops management basically told him that he will be paid the same as he is now and they will only extend his contract by one more year.

So it sounds like Lockhart's press is starting wain noticably in the Pops area. Also it sounds like there are rumblings within the organization itself saying that the players are starting to become annoyed with him. This last part came from a member of the Pops itself.

Take this out to a logical conclusion, but strange things are afoot in the Boston Pops...

Frosty

Oh God, I hope Lockhart is out!!! That would be a pray answered. His conducting style used to erk me so much - with that pompious smirk on his face. I could only think "Fiedler has to be flopping in his grave."

Lockhart was recently interviewed by the Boston Globe- he came off (to me) as arrogant and somewhat defensive. The Globe also mentioned the grumblings regarding Lockhart's possible departure.

Personally, I think any change will be a change for the better.