Hook - I need to know EVERYTHING

sharangatang

Hi

I'm doing an essay on the 'Hook' music (1991)

I know quite a lot already but I need people to be saying the same things as me!

I need to know all about it from:

Which themes and/or instruments represent which characters? E.g. Tinkerbell is the twinkly percussion things (can't remember what they're called)

What has Williams used from other films or other music? (e.g. there is a bit of the st Matthew Passion, chorale no. 72 by Bach when Ruphio sits at the dinner table and prays)

I've been looking at diegetic and non-diegetic music (e.g. when Maggie sings her voice is diegetic but the accompaniment is non-diegetic)

Anything else you can think of that might be useful!

I have to do a full analysis on this film so as much info as possible would be great!

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi  

I'm doing an essay on the 'Hook' music (1991)

I know quite a lot already but I need people to be saying the same things as me!

I need to know all about it from:

Which themes and/or instruments represent which characters? E.g. Tinkerbell is the twinkly percussion things (can't remember what they're called)

What has Williams used from other films or other music? (e.g. there is a bit of the st Matthew Passion, chorale no. 72 by Bach when Ruphio sits at the dinner table and prays)

I've been looking at diegetic and non-diegetic music (e.g. when Maggie sings her voice is diegetic but the accompaniment is non-diegetic)

Anything else you can think of that might be useful!

I have to do a full analysis on this film so as much info as possible would be great!

Thanks

Hi why dont you watch the movie and figure this stuff out yourself.

Thanks

-Pi

whose advice is always helpful

You've got quite a task ahead of you: Hook is one of the most thematic scores ever. And do try to watch the film, otherwise you'll no reference as to what do the themes represent.

Well... since no one is answering you, I'll give you what I know at least.

Hook was an original screen play that came our around the time Steven wanted to do a musical movie about Peter Pan. John Williams and Leslie Bricussse--who date back to John Williams work on "Goodbye, Mr. Chips!" worked on a few songs.

The idea of a musical was eventually scrapped and--to my knowledge, those songs arn't used in the film BUT their theme's are.

One is called "Childhood," and the other is "When You're Alone."

'Hook,' stylistically speaking, shares a lot in common with other scores that John Williams and Leslie Bricusse worked on including "Home Alone," "Goodbye, Mr. Chips," and I believe there was another.

The complete score was never officially released, but many bootlegs have come out. They include a TON of alternates and such, possibly showing the uncertainty Williams had on the project which was rushed and many key elements changed such as who was to play Pan and from a musical to a normal movie.

Hook, along with Home Alone paved the way instrumentally for JW latter works such as Harry Potter, and is considered by some to be a great score for a not so great movie.

Past that I don't know much.

I havn't seen the movie in ages but I do have the "complete" score so.

I know that the character of Hook has a theme and that several other characters do as well.

many key elements changed such as who was to play Pan and from a musical to a normal movie

Neil's interview clarifies that it was never meant to be a musical, the idea was abandoned much earlier, and when Spielberg came up with the idea to turn the screenplay Hook itself into a musical, it was too late and the studio didn't allow it.

Actually Tinkerball has a full theme, you can hear a very straightforward variation of it in the End Credits, it's also the theme that is played on piano at the begining of "we don't want to grow up"

Anyway, about other themes it's going to be tougher, as I don't think everyone agrees, for example some people say Cap. Hook has two themes, others believe he only has one and that the other is actually Smee's theme.

There was a great analysis by John Takis (I think) you sould really look for.

You should check out John Takis' comprehensive analysis for FSM. I don't remember quite which one, but I do know it was in 2002, with The Scorpion King on the cover.

You should check out John Takis' comprehensive analysis for FSM.

Yes, it's the definitive resource on the score. I tried Googling it but couldn't find it. I know it's hidden somewhere in the mass of the WWW, but where? :D

I actually think that Hook and Smee share the same theme (Presenting the Hook, Captain James T. Hook, Smee's Plan), and the pirates have their own (The Stories are True 2, Pirate Town, Shadow of Pan).

I actually think that Hook and Smee share the same theme (Presenting the Hook, Captain James T. Hook, Smee's Plan)

In a way. Hook's main theme is used with them both, but Hook's secondary theme is used only with the good captain.

and the pirates have their own (The Stories are True 2, Pirate Town, Shadow of Pan).

That they do. :D

Try Archive.org

Aha! Found it!

http://web.archive.org/web/20010428162053/...ok/analysis.htm

There it is, the definitive Hook resource. The only extremely minor quibble or omission is I think what's generally referred to as the Prologue theme is a theme for the conflict between Pan and Hook, judging by when it's used in the score.

John- double posting from necessity. Deal with it. :D

Well that just proves my point that is very difficult to agree in what every theme is for, especially with Hook since it has like 349 themes and motifs.

Just from the top of my head it has: the "the prologue theme", flying theme, neverland (also granny wendy?), tinkerbell, "when you're alone", hook #1, hook #2, the pirates, the family theme, the mermaids(not sure it's a theme), rufio, the never feast (which is used later in the ultimate war, so it could be a theme for the lost boys), a sort of "memories theme". And I'm probably missing 4 or 5 more

Thanks for posting that link! I have been looking for ages for John Takis' analysis of Hook.

One thing in the analysis I cannot understand. Why is John Takis saying that the Face of Pan theme is not found on the album? He refers to The Face of Pan cue in his track-by-track analysis by saying that it is not found on the album:"This cue, while relatively short, represents some of the most haunting and gorgeous music Williams has ever composed, and was tragically left off of the original soundtrack album."

It was not left off the soundtrack album as it is part of the cue You Are the Pan if I am not very badly mistaken.

And even later in Concert Arrangements section he says: "The Face of Pan" beautifully expands and enhances the cue of the same name from the film -- and is the only official release of this theme, the only regret being that the spectacular chorus is omitted."

The film cue of The Face of Pan did not include a choir (again if I remember correctly) so the version on the original album is pretty close to the actual film cue (it is spliced together with The Face of Pan cue on the album).

Thanks everyone

Just in case u were wondering (pi) I have watched the Hook film - about 20 times in the last 2 weeks actually! And just incase u thought i was fannying around getting u guys 2 do all the work 4 me iv actually written my own analysis of the whole film which takes up 72 double sided pages so ner ner!

Anyway thanks 4 the analysis link - Iv been trying to track it down for a while but the whole search engine thing is not really working for me atm! Cheers!

Captain hook - he has 2 themes - i got the dotted 1 that crops up and theres a non dotted version - whats the 2nd theme - i think i might have misinterpreted it as Smees theme (having asked this question I havn't read the Takis analysis through yet so I will probably find out in due course - lol)

So do u reckon any of the characters have instruments that identify with them - i think Hook and the cor anglais r linked and peter and the flute but I'm not sure if I'm reading 2 much in2 it - what do u think?

Thanks

I do think both themes are for Captain Hook. After the first time you see Captain Hook on deck after Presenting the Hook, you hear the theme some refer to as Smee's theme. IT's Hook's entrance, and that's the theme that plays, right followed by the secondary theme.

And Granny Wendy's theme and Neverland's theme, although heavily related, are not the same theme.

So, on top of my head:

Prologue theme

Flying Theme

Tinkerbell Theme

Hook theme 1

Hook theme 2

Pirates theme

Never feast

Neverland

Granny Wendy

Family

Face of Pan

The Lost Boys Chase

Those are the major themes. There are tons of more motifs.

Hi

Thanks - that's really helpful!

Y do u think williams decided to play the Tinkerbell theme at the beggining of the film when she doesnt feature till later on? I couldnt work it out!

Also what do you thik about the whole instrument thing - do you think im being a bit over-analytical or do u thi9nk thers some truth in it?

Thanks ;)

I think in the case of Tinkerbell, the choice of instrumentation was obvious. As to the other themes, several of them are played by all sort of instruments, so I really can't see that big of a connection there.

I have no idea as why Tink's theme on the piano opens the movie, but it sounds quite nice. Anyway, it is almost source music, so I really wouln't bother with thematic coherence there.

I have no idea as why Tink's theme on the piano opens the movie, but it sounds quite nice. Anyway, it is almost source music, so I really wouln't bother with thematic coherence there.

You know, i just was going to wrote that i had just noticed 'We dont wanna grow up' was some tink's theme.

Luke returning from a complete score listening.