Will there ever be a better Superman then Christopher Reeve?

Will there ever be a better Superman then Christopher Reeve?  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, there are many great, and yet unknown actors out there.
    • No, the film Superman died the day Reeve fell of his horse.
    • Another actor might do very well, but not as good as Reeve
    • They could use CGI to make Reeve walk again on the silver screen (YOU"LL BELIEVE A MAN CAN WALK will be the films tagline.)

I'm sure back in the 70's mant actors were considered for the role, perhaps some may have wondered about this unkwonw actor, and if he would be any good.

But Reeve as Superman may be one of the greates casting feats in the history of cinema, he not only looks like Superman (although not as muscular as the drawed version :( ), but he makes you believe that he really IS Superman.

I love the way he plays the role completely straight, which is impressive, considering the costume he was in. (was he nominated for an Oscar, he should have been???)

Even when the sequals took the "camp" route, Reeve acted the part with such sincerity that he elevated these films to a watchable level.

However bad Super 3 and 4 may be, Reeve is good in it.

For years now there has been talk of a new film version of the Sup[erman legend, in whatever shape or form.

Doubtless at some point such a film will be made, and possible they may find the right actor for it.

But will this actor ever be able to make us believe a man can fly, like Reeve did.

I think they should go with a complete unknown, and not cast a box ofice star. (Nick Cage, great actor, no Supes)

If they go with a big name then audiences will see fill in any hugely successfull actor playing the role of Superman, but they won't see Superman.

I always liked Dean Cains younger, snappier performance of the role, but it's no were near the level of Reeve.

Stefancos- who has not watched the Smallville series.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christopher Reeve is Superman. Another actor will come along and play the part (Dean Cain already has) and be successful, but I doubt anyone could ever play the part as perfectly as Reeve did.

Neil

No! Even in his current state, Reeve could beat the living piss out of an inbred pantywaist like Jude Law!

Another actor will play Superman, no doubt, but chances are he will do no finer job. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

As for your last option, Steef -- which is in questionable taste -- believe it or not, there was once a television commercial here in the States that actually did just that. It had something to do with spinal research or something, but there was Reeve, walking again.

Who knows, he could actually give his consent to such a thing, except it would turn the movie into a freak show.

Figo, who would love for Reeve to walk again -- in reality -- even if he never made another film.

Every generation has had its actor who was able to portray Superman, starting with Kirk Alyn in the late 1940's and going all the way through to Tom Welling today as Clark Kent on "Smallville".

But there's never going to be another Superman like Christopher Reeve ever was. Everyone else, even Tom Welling, who does have a bit of physical similarity to Chris, will never come that close.

As for Reeve walking again - well, we're all hopeful as he is. On September 18th ABC will air a one-hour documentary on Chris' life chronicling his continuing progress, to be directed by none other than Chris' son Matthew Reeve. Definitely one to watch.

Like Neil said, Christopher Reeve IS Superman. There can never be an equal to him for the role. He brought to life what Superman was supposed to be. Charming, tall, muscular, and American, and the list goes on. It's awful that he can't be the man of steel anymore, but he will forever be in our hearts as the greatest comic-book-turned-movie-star action hero there ever was.

~Harry

Thanks, BW. I'll definitely try to catch that.

Glad to see Reeve has been keeping busy. At the very least, he's written a book, directed a movie for cable, and starred in a television remake of Rear Window -- not to mention his numerous personal appearances. He seems to be a genuinely nice man, and I think he is well liked. We would all like to see him beat this thing. The fact that he has perservered so far proves once and for all he is the true Man of Steel.

No . . . other people may play the role, but Christpher Reeve will always be Superman to me. :(

Mari

No!  Even in his current state, Reeve could beat the living piss out of an inbred pantywaist like Jude Law!

As for your last option, Steef -- which is in questionable taste -- believe it or not, there was once a television commercial here in the States that actually did just that.  It had something to do with spinal research or something, but there was Reeve, walking again.

Figo, who would love for Reeve to walk again -- in reality -- even if he never made another film.

the commercial ran during the Superbowl and it ran just once I believe. I may have been the most powerful commericial I have ever seen. I was literally agahst in shock, and it did bring tears to my eyes. It was done in completely good taste. It said something about wiping out aids in 2000-something, and in 2005 paralysis was cured. You see a man walk up to a podium to give or receive an award and when he gets to the podium you see his face. Awesome.

No one will ever be better than Chris Reeve, some may be as good. But not Jude Law. Sorry, the actor to portray him should be American.

Josh Harnett is Superman LOL LOL LOL yuck

The Superbowl? How the hell did I see it, I wonder? That must have been the year I went to a Superbowl party with one of my ex-girlfriends. Was it the same year they started showing television spots for Lost World?

Figo, who would love to see a scene in which Jude Law, as Sissy Zod, gets his hand crushed by a rehabilitated Chris Reeve.

Yeah, that was a wonderful commercial and it did air a couple of times after the Superbowl in response to the positive feedback it generated (although there were some critics, here and there).

I think part of Reeve's success with the character is that he actually fell in love with the part, making him extremely sincere (something that never happened with any of the Batman actors).

Still, if you see the George Reeves series, he was also quite effective, so there's hope for the character, if the actor is sincere enough.

George Reeves is living proof of what a padded suit can do for a man. Perhaps someone can get Shatner interested in the role.

Although I think Reeve did a terific job, I still think he does not quite convey Supes darker side. I'm a big fan of Superman in the GN Kingdom Come, and I'm not sure Reeve could play that part perfectly (regardless of his physical limitations).

Although I think Reeve did a terific job, I still think he does not quite convey Supes darker side. I'm a big fan of Superman in the GN Kingdom Come, and I'm not sure Reeve could play that part perfectly (regardless of his physical limitations).

what are you talking about. You seem to forget that Reeve was Superman in the 70's and 80's. whatever your talking about came later.

And if you have reservations about Reeve playing dark, then you have never seen his dark and disturbing portrayal of a child molester on tv. It is one of the most horrific performances ever given on tv.

oh geez I don't know. I'm sure there's someone out there that is ready and able to be as good a superman as CR. I mean I voted for CR IS Superman even though others may play him. But when you think about it. As the films get older and older I'm sure that some one will remake them and they will fine a decent candidate to play the part so that younger generations may experience Superman. I was partial to Dean Cain but he wasn't as good as CR. I don't really like the person that is playing Superman on "Smallville". CR will be a hard one to beat.

To believe one's opinions about things such as thing amount to a religious fanatacism is sad.... :sleepy:

Anyway, like all things music and movies, it's a matter of taste. He never did it for me. I always pictured Superman different than him. It's not the end of the world.

You liked him so little, you never bothered to learn the spelling of his last name. :)

Who'd a thunk the Man of Steel would be played by both a Reeve and a Reeves?

Prediction: the next Superman will be an actor named named Rieff, Reiver or Reed. :sleepy:

I said in other threads: I think Dean Cain made a better Superman, regardless of his acting abilities (or lack thereof). He just gave the impression he was Superman, so muscular, always worried.

Reeves has played the part okay. But he's kind of too scrawny to be Supes.

Crap, I'll get another "are you mad" from Steef.

-ROSS, who would like to see Dean Cain playing Superman with a quality script like that of the first movie.

ARE YOU MAD?

Didn't see it coming from me did ya?

Joe, who knows that Chris Reeve was and is better than, haha,Dean,haha,Cain,haha.

And another thing, no one has played the duality of Kent/Supes as well as Chris Reeve. Dean Cain's Clark Kent was such a whining yuppy, Tom Welling's teen Kent is great, but we have no indication yet how that will be transformed into an alter ego. George Reeves' Kent was such a cynic, sometimes on the pent-up hostility side; perhaps he was more like the Action Comics original.

Chris Reeve's Kent was pure physical comic brilliance! As he portrayed the duality, Kal-El's real personality was exemplified by Superman, and Clark was just a hilariously geeky, bumbling, terribly old-fashioned, cover-up -- again, true to the mythology. And again, Cain's version failed to make much of a distinction between Kent and Supes, and G. Reeves' Supes was just his Kent blowing off steam and being rather brusque even with the people he was helping or rescuing.

I love that moment in Superman The Movie where Reeve takes off his glasses and is about to reveal his identity to Lois Lane. Of course, it just plays at the basic ridiculous assumption that the glasses conceal his true likeness. But you can see Reeve's countenance and hear his voice change and you believe more than anything than a man can have a dual personality. And nobody will ever top Chris Reeve on that score.

Oh, and that running gag with Kent and doors (the glass office door, the bathroom door, the revolving door, Lois' apartment door) -- handled so beautifully by an actor whose comic abilities belied his otherwise graceful physicality.

Ha! Brusque George Reeves! Did you ever see the episode where the hoodlums break into his apartment and actually find the Superman suit hanging in his closet? He flies them to the North Pole and leaves them on top of a mountain, telling them not to try and escape, knowing full well they will disobey and fall to their deaths.

Now that's brusque!

I go with the 'Chris is Supes' statements.

And I do think that we won't need to digitally make him walk in the not terribly distant future...

Does anyone else see the irony in Morn making such a comment? :roll:

Figo, kicking sand in the face of the 98-pound weakling from Down Under.

I dunno, he seemed to geeky as Kent

Yes you're right Morn, being geeky is a thoroughly unsuitable disguise for a superhero :roll:

and not strong enough as Superman.

I think his strength lies in his mind, not his muscles.... (A concept trailer park dwellers may have difficulty understanding)

AI

Christopher Reever all the way.

By the way, did any of you see the movie "Above Suspicion," with Kim Catrall? Reeve plays a cop who is shot and is confined to a wheelchair. He notices his wife and best friend are fooling around, and he sets them up for a big fall. I will not give away the ending, but it is one hell of a film if for no other reason than the final 10 minutes.

Oh, and the film was made before his accident. It was the only Reeve film I had ever seen other than the Superman films.

Check it out.

Jeff -- who will probably do the same again

Seeing as how we are talking two of my favourite topics here (Superman and the Superman movies) I gotta stick in my two cents worth (or after the American exchange rate .009 cents).

Kirk Alyn was the Superman of the Forties

George Reeves was the Superman of the Fifties

Christopher Reeve is the Superman of all times and here is why...

He did something with the character that no other actor had done previously... made him human. Hell, he even cries near the end of the first film. For the first time ever we related to superMANman. He made it seem like it could be any one of us... the guy sitting next to me in the theatre in December 79 could have been Superman. This was the first big budget treatment of the immortal character, and it meant a lot to the Superman fans of the era. Superman was strong without needing to flex his muscles. He could fly... he was, well, SUPER. But it was possible to be a man in amongst all that blue spandex. This was a guy who could date Lois Lane, or your sister and it was believeable and you wouldn't have minded, cause this was a guy you could talk to before the date... Bear in mind also this was the time of the Anti-Hero in motion pictures. Characters like Rambo in the 80's and Travis Bickle in the 70's, were the heroes of the day. Guys who answered every problem with a violent and bloody solution, Superman in the first film never throws a punch... Not once!!!! He uses his powers and abilities in a more pacifist manner, in defense instead of offense. read the comics of the 70's and 80's. For every action story there is a strongly character driven story, the stories of Elliot S! Maggin and Cary Bates. These stories were of novelistic (?) quality. Far better than the drivel being doled out now. And what is up with the comic appearance of Superman now???? The Incredible Hulk wasn't drawn the way they are drawing Superman now, give me the more realistic look of Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson's Superman all the time!!!!! But I am going off on a tangent here...

No doubt that Christopher Reeve was dashing in the costume, but you didn't lose him behind the costume... That was sadly missing from the Dean Cain Superman, although Teri Hatcher's Lois Lane just seemed pissed off all the time, buth that's another story... In truth, Dean Cain more resembles the comic bookl Superman, better physically... But if you substituted a cardboard cutout of him in a scene no one would have noticed, and that's too bad because I really wanted Lois and Clark to work, I had very high hopes. I am sorry, but I just don't think that as long as names like Nicolas Cage, Jude Law and Brendan Fraser are being thrown around, that anyone will ever improve on the Christopher Reeve Superman...

One last note; I believe Chris Reeve will walk again someday, because he believes it so strongly... If you read his wonderful book "Still Me" you will believe a man will walk...

Big Ken: :music: The Witches of Eastwick (DVD iso score)

Can't wait for a Shatner Superman! :) I dunno, CGI can be great when used well, a CGI Superman might not be that bad.

They could use CGI to make Reeve walk again on the silver screen (YOU"LL BELIEVE A MAN CAN WALK will be the films tagline.)

Ummmm not only is that option completely rdidiculous it is DOWNRIGHT OFFENSIVE!!!! Especially the terrible idea of using Reeves' predicament as part of the tag line. Awwhhhhhh! :)