Classic Fm (UK) listeners' Top 30 Film Scores

Miz

The Classic FM radio station in the UK broadcast the top 30 film scores, as voted for on their website, today.

Now, personally, I think this radio station pays precious little attention to film scores (1 hour-long show a week, which is poorly presented and far too obscure). The same weakly-voiced guy presented this countdown, which happened to be very 'suprising' indeed. I'll find a link to the list in moment, but I tell you this: the apparent voting majority do not know what makes a good film score.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The voting majority apparently doesn't know what makes good classical music, either!

Figo, perennially stunned by the results of Classic FM's boneheaded polls.

Well I wouldn't know much about classical music, but I sure as hell know about good film scores!

I can't find the link (Classic FM have a stupid website) but here are the top 7 that I remember.

7: Out of Africa

6: E.T

5: Gladiator

4: The Empire Strikes Back

3: Schindler's List

2: Star Wars

1: The Lord of the Rings : FOTR

You're right, Figo. Boneheaded is the best word for it. Who the hell voted in this thing!

Miz, who voted for E.T.

Miz, who voted for 'Empire' under a different alias. Hehe.

From what I gathered through the classical polls, there must be very few people who actually vote and therefore these oddball choices receive what looks like an unusually heavy percentage of supporters. Film scores also feature in the classical polls, and they are seldom the ones you'd expect. Often, they consist of recent mega-hits (eg., Titanic, Gladiator). An argument can be made for accepting some film music in with the mainstream classical, but I would hardly nominate Gladiator as a good example of anything, let alone a top contender! As with the Academy Awards, I suspect there are extra-musical considerations at work.

When all else fails, consider the following: the masses are asses.

It didn't help that the TheOneRing.net posted an item encouraging their readers to stuff the ballot box. Even TheForce.net and the various Potter sites didn't resort to that.

I very much liked Shore's work on FOTR, but #1 of all the choices listed? No way, no how. It wasn't even in the top 20 by comparison, in my opinion.

Absolutely right. So fanboy cheating was the cause of such a stupid result. Hurrah. Anyway, here's the full 30:

The Top Ten

1 Howard Shore: Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring

2 John Williams: Star Wars

3 John Williams: Schindler's List

4 John Williams: The Empire Strikes Back

5 Hans Zimmer: Gladiator

6 John Williams: ET

7 John Barry: Out of Africa

8 Maurice Jarre: Lawrence of Arabia

9 John Barry: Dances with Wolves

10 James Horner: Titanic

The Rest

11 Maurice Jarre: Doctor Zhivago

12 John Williams: Raiders of the Lost Ark

13 Ennio Morricone: The Mission

14 John Williams: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

15 Elmer Bernstein: The Magnificent Seven

16 John Williams: Saving Private Ryan

17 John Williams: Jurassic Park

18 Brief Encounter - Rachmaninov Piano Concerto no.2

19 2001: A Space Odyssey - Richard Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra

20 William Walton: Henry V

21 James Horner: Braveheart

22 Michael Nyman: The Piano

23 Vangelis: Chariots of Fire

24 Jerome Moross: Big Country 25 John Williams: Superman

26 Vangelis: Blade Runner

27 Max Steiner: Gone with the Wind

28 John Barry: The Lion in Winter

29 Gabriel Yared: The English Patient

30 James Horner: The Mask of Zorro

That makes a total of:

8O ;):sigh::(:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: - 9 albums of John Williams

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: - 3 albums of John Barry

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: - 3 albums of James Horney

:mrgreen::mrgreen: - 2 albums by Vangelis

:mrgreen::mrgreen: - 2 albums by Maurice Jarre

:mrgreen: - some other composers

Well, most of the choices aren't that bad. (Although some of them are. :biglaugh: )

Figo, who hates when people cheat, whether on polls or on film music compilations, by including composers like Rachmaninoff and Strauss. 8O

Lord of the Rings as No. 1???

Ok...the score is good, i'll give it that. Very original. But the best score of all time? --> damn LOTR fanboys...wouldn't know a good score if it bit them in the arse!

And btw...where's Hook on that list? :pukeface::sigh: 8O

Pfftt.... :roll:

Thats just because those Rings freaks stuffed the voting. Just like those lame ass SW fanboys all went out and voted for AOTC during those IMA awards. Its all a bunch of nonsense. Look folks there is a reason why even a mediocre film like LOTR is #4 on the all time best list at IMDB.com.

Because every Hobbit-Zealot on the internet gave the film a 10 at the site.

This is why I have such animosity towards SW lately. The die hard fanboys of those films won't allow any sort of criticism towards their "holy grail" of movies. Just go to theforce.net and post some negative impressions of AOTC. Within two seconds the "SW police" will put the smackdown on you.

;)

Hey PetePan, you missed one, you need to change your JW count to 9 out of the top thirty not 8.

You probably missed Superman.

As I said earlier.

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Schindler's List, ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Harry Potter and Sorcerer's Stone, Jurassic Park, and Superman are all better than Lord of the Rings,

SPR is not.

Jaws isn't on this list, those FOOLS,

Where is Close Encounters. It is more original than any single note in LOTR, but that could be said about most scores compared to CE3K.

Sorry, Morn.  The Big Country stays.

Figo, digging his spurs into yer neck.

Ohh I didn't mean by any means that it's bad. What I ment is that.... it's an old score that's rather obscure. If they have it... how come they are missing so many old scores, such as Rozsa and Herrmann?

Look folks there is a reason why even a mediocre film like LOTR is #4 on the all time best list at IMDB.com.

The reason is that it's a really good film. Maybe it's not top 4 material, but it's certainly great. Thanks to it's emotional depth more than anything.

Look folks there is a reason why even a mediocre film like LOTR is #4 on the all time best list at IMDB.com.

Because it's a great film. In it's own way, I can't think of a film that's better than it. I don't say it's the greatest film of all time, there are several films that are the best in it's own way. But I don't have a problem with it being in the top 10.

Marian - who expects the extended cut to be even better.

But, Marian, as good as it is, I think it's flawed in some ways. So, while I enjoyed it alot, I would probably put it low on the top 10 list.

Sorry, Morn.  The Big Country stays.

Figo, digging his spurs into yer neck.

Ohh I didn't mean by any means that it's bad. What I ment is that.... it's an old score that's rather obscure.

Obscure to you, maybe, but it just so happens to have one of the most recognizable themes ever written. Just because you don't watch a lot of old movies doesn't mean others don't. Once heard, it's not easily forgotten. Believe it or not, it was actually quite popular, at one time.

Figo, who's seen and heard hundreds of westerns, but who thinks The Big Country has the best score of any of them, even The Magnificent Seven.

I visit the old section at the video store as much as the new section!

Morn - Who has not seen that many westerns though

You know Figo,

I strongly suspect that Princess Leia would have called you a

scoundral. :)

;)

LOL LOL LOL

The reason is that it's a really good film. Maybe it's not top 4 material, but it's certainly great. Thanks to it's emotional depth more than anything.

:)

:oops: Sorry.

Because it's a great film. In it's own way, I can't think of a film that's better than it. I don't say it's the greatest film of all time, there are several films that are the best in it's own way. But I don't have a problem with it being in the top 10.

:)

Sorry again :oops:

:music:

OMG, I'm getting really sick. Sorry guys!:|

;) Oops...

Oh, COME ON.

Fellowship of the Rings is the GREATEST score of all time?

Jesus CHRIST, give me a break.

It might be good, I'll admit that, personally I didn't like it, it didn't impress me at all, but even those who think it's good or great or even excellent CANNOT say that it's the best score of all time.

There's just no friggin' way. I'm fully accepting of other's opinions, but COME ON.

Marian - who has read LOTR about 8 times and still says the movie is a masterpiece.  :(

Sure, Marian... whatever you say. :roll:

Ricard - Wondering if Marian has ever seen a real masterpiece...

Marian - who has read LOTR about 8 times and still says the movie is a masterpiece.  :sigh:

I have read it "only" three times. And I think the film is a :(

Well, it's not bad, but very overrated.

I prefer Ralph Bakshi's version. But this is my preference. Objectively Jackson's film is better. And I think TTT will be even better than FOTR.

:(

Sorry again :oops:

:sigh:

OMG, I'm getting really sick. Sorry guys!:jump:

:) Oops...

oh, gawd I am gonna be sick :)

back in first grade, 1966, the kid in front of me :)

which caused me to :jump:

then the girl behind me :jump:

and the girl behind her :jump:

and finally the boy behind her :jump:

The nuns had to clean up alot of :jump:

Again: There is an objectivity basis. A minimum understanding of the quality of a film.

Objectively, The Searchers is better than Jaws 3D, for example.

But this is my opinion (and is this objective?)

Again: There is an objectivity basis. A minimum understanding of the quality of a film.

Objectively, The Searchers is better than Jaws 3D, for example.

But this is my opinion (and is this objective?)

it's called subjective... :(

Perhaps we should phrase it as a matter of good taste vs. very, very bad taste.

For instance, I have impeccable taste, which is why the gods bestowed upon me unlimited vitriol to strike down crap like A.I. and Attack of the Clones.

Figo, maintaining the natural balance.

Ricard, it will be best if I don't comment on LotR, else we won't see the floor of this board anymore...

(Shall I? Shall I? ;))

However, I fully agree that there are many better "all time best" scores than FotR, technically/compositionally speaking. (When I rate scores by emotional impact, FotR indeed rates among the top 10)

-Chris

:angry: Blind Guardian - The Curse of Fëanor

(When I rate scores by emotional impact, FotR indeed rates among the top 10)

Although I considered Shore's score worthy of its Oscar win (yes, over A.I. and Harry Potter), I still find it emotionally barren, save "The Breaking of the Fellowship" and "May It Be." Many mainstream film critics lauded the score's cinematic transparency, but the absence of ostentation has no bearing on its profundity -- or originality (which is not overrated as a point of criticism).

(When I rate scores by emotional impact, FotR indeed rates among the top 10)

Although I considered Shore's score worthy of its Oscar win (yes, over A.I. and Harry Potter)

:angry:;):pukeface::flush:

For me the parts of FotR that had the most emotional impact were Track 11 (The Ring goes South), 12 (A Journey in the Dark - ESPECIALLY the part were the fellowship enters the great hall of Dwarrowdelf (Gandalf: "Let me risk a little more light"...)), and 14 (Lothlórien... this sad, creepy, mystic athmosphere)

Although I considered Shore's score worthy of its Oscar win (yes, over A.I. and Harry Potter)

Yes. I keep saying, FOTR deserved the Oscar, Potter should have won a Grammy.

:angry: The Fly (Howard Shore)

That minimum understanding ALWAYS goes through the filter of subjectivity, and as a result of that, professional reviewers give different ratings to the same film. Whether you can see it or not, objectivity does not exist in film appreciation.

Although I considered Shore's score worthy of its Oscar win (yes, over A.I. and Harry Potter), I still find it emotionally barren, save "The Breaking of the Fellowship" and "May It Be."

You are.... quite mad.

Many mainstream film critics lauded the score's cinematic transparency, but the absence of ostentation has no bearing on its profundity -- or originality (which is not overrated as a point of criticism).

Don't confuse ostentation with an attempt at quality or the interests of the composer. Besides, Shore's score could be considered very ostentatious, all the 20th century techniques and FX he uses. The mixed nature of the qualities of his score makes it seem like gimmicks rather than an attempt at quality.

For me the parts of FotR that had the most emotional impact were Track 11 (The Ring goes South), 12 (A Journey in the Dark - ESPECIALLY the part were the fellowship enters the great hall of Dwarrowdelf (Gandalf: "Let me risk a little more light"...)), and 14 (Lothlórien... this sad, creepy, mystic athmosphere)

I say A Journey In The Dark and the Horn part of The Breaking Of The Fellowship.