OK, watched the new clips

Bard clip - you know, it's freaky how much Luke Evans looks like Orlando Bloom. In fact, I kinda think he should not have been cast just because of the resemblance - it can be a bit distracting. In this scene he even does some of Legolas's mannerisms.

Thranduil/Gandalf clip - I like any scene where Gandalf is smoking for some reason. Thranduil seems like he might be a bit of a dick in this movie. The fun Elven King from the novel is really nowhere to be found in this adaptation

I'm sorry, but I just can't take the "barrels down the river" scene seriously. None of the characters are in any actual danger.

Gandalf outside of the High Fells is the only shots in the entire film the feel like they were filmed in New Zealand

I'm sorry, but I just can't take the "barrels down the river" scene seriously. None of the characters are in any actual danger.

Maybe it wasn't created to be taken seriously but to be a fun scene?

And what about the whole fight scene that took place at the same time?

I find the placement of the music odd, because it starts like 10 seconds after the scene has begun.

But a lot of the indoor shots are beautifully lit.

The Woodland prison cells are nice shots too.

And mnac, the chase sequence looks like crap, but the shots before the barrels are outside are quite nice:

movies_dwarfs_the_hobbit_hobbit_desolati

the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-movie

thdos-trailer01-0101.jpg

Gandalf outside of the High Fells is the only shots in the entire film the feel like they were filmed in New Zealand

I'm guessing you mean "one" of the only. Because I like the Tauriel and Leggy shot outside too.

But yes, DoS never felt like I was watching a Middle-Earth movie, and this is largely due to its look.

You can always call Dr. Schüfftan to make those shots look more realistic.

I don't get that joke. If i want realistic shots i watch Game of Thrones.

The Schüfftan Process. PJ used it in the LOTR trilogy.

vlcsnap-2012-12-04-21h39m34s75.png

I don't think any of the sets/miniatures/CG in the Hobbit films have come close to the glory of this one. Erebor is supposed to be much bigger in scope and size than Minas Tirith, and yet the latter feels so much more bigger and impressive.

I'm guessing you mean "one" of the only. Because I like the Tauriel and Leggy shot outside too.

But yes, DoS never felt like I was watching a Middle-Earth movie, and this is largely due to its look.

Nah, the only one. Nothing about any other location they go feels real at all to me.

Ooh. Love that color balance with the browns and mid-tones.

And that contrast... :eek:

Yeah! Me too. So many of the indoor shots with the Woodland Realm have a great balance in the colour tone. Which makes the glossy, over-graded schlock that follows, even more infuriating! :angry:

Nah, the only one. Nothing about any other location they go feels real at all to me.

Not even this?

thdos-trailer01-0321.jpg

Because that's one of the actual real shots in the film!! And no bloom either!

I don't think any of the sets/miniatures/CG in the Hobbit films have come close to the glory of this one. Erebor is supposed to be much bigger in scope and size than Minas Tirith, and yet the latter feels so much more bigger and impressive.

I still personally find it amazing that despite all these advances in CGI (ha!), the old-school cinema techniques like forced perspective and the Schüfftan process still produce the most realistic results.

Erebor is bigger on the inside.

And still Minas Tirith kicks its barren ass! Indoor sets and all!

I still personally find it amazing that despite all these advances in CGI (ha!), the old-school cinema techniques like forced perspective and the Schüfftan process still produce the most realistic results.

Indeed. Which is what makes LotR hold up much better than the Hobbit, because it's a combination of filmmaking techniques. It's not JUST relying on CGI. PJ really used every trick in the book, from miniatures, to camera techniques like forced perspective, to ground-breaking CGI. It is one of the ultimate testaments to great grand scale filmmaking.

The same just can't be said for the Hobbit.

Not even this?

thdos-trailer01-0321.jpg

Bloom is standing right there!

The barrels shot look great when they end up at the riverbank.

Well of course. By then, the barrels have gone through a binary transformation: from real to CGI to real again.

Yeah, that's good too. Largely thanks to the fact that it's one of the few unfiltered location shots.

Not even this?

thdos-trailer01-0321.jpg

But is that a real elevated town above the lake?

Not even this?

thdos-trailer01-0321.jpg

Doh!

True...now the whole shot is ruined! What a shame...

Not even this?
thdos-trailer01-0321.jpg

I really don't get this whole bloom thing. That looks like a bloomy shot to me.

Well yes, there is Bloom in that shot, but not bloom. Or at least, not an intrusive amount of it.

Unfortunately, most of DoS looks like this:

HOBBIT2_WETA_VFX_05.jpg

importimagesource=MCthe_hobbit_desolatio

wetas_vfx_breakdown_for_the_hobbit_the_d

I wonder if you can de-bloomify these shots...Fal?

Yeah, that's good too. Largely thanks to the fact that it's one of the few unfiltered location shots.

I've discovered a few shots during the river chase where if you ignore the CGI extensions and look at particular spots, you can see some gorgeous shots of NZ rivers.

Interesting behind the scenes stuff on the barrel chase:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

@errorik
There was some GoPro footage. We cleaned it up in paint, in one case added a CG dwarf and post converted the shots to stereo

— Weta Digital (@wetafx)
December 18, 2013

</script>

Does he mean like a stereoscopic shot?

So if I cross my eyes and look at that scene, it'll look 3D and I won't need the glasses?

I've discovered a few shots during the river chase where if you ignore the CGI extensions and look at particular spots, you can see some gorgeous shots of NZ rivers.

Interesting behind the scenes stuff on the barrel chase:

@errorik
There was some GoPro footage. We cleaned it up in paint, in one case added a CG dwarf and post converted the shots to stereo

— Weta Digital (@wetafx)
December 18, 2013

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does he mean like a stereoscopic shot?

So if I cross my eyes and look at that scene, it'll look 3D and I won't have to wear 3D glasses?

Let's do that for the whole movie.

I wonder if you can de-bloomify these shots...Fal?

I don't think Bloom is reversible sadly.

Pity. :(

By the way, you should post those Thorin shots here again, just so SUH gets an idea of how they'll change the trailer look in the final film ;)

Is that town on the lake a real or a fake?

Of course not! What would make you think otherwise?

Then it's either a damn good paint job or just modestly rendered CGI.

Exactly! That's the problem.

There was a great video that compared the trailer footage with the final film footage too. It still looked a bit CG, but the barrel chase looked so much better in the trailer!

And one of the documentaries showed how much of the location shots they ended up covering by artificially painting more trees and stuff in...

That's what'll probably happen to this film. If you thought the trailer looked bad, the film will probably look worse...