But the worst thing is that the new unnecessary characters serve to complicate the simple story established in the first, one being at the centre of easily the worst aspect of these films (I need not name...her). I am not against the insertion of a female character, but did they have to demean both her and Kili by placing them in a turgid love story? Urgh

I wonder how Saoirse Ronan's Itaril would have turned out. I'm thinking the character would have been quite different. For starters, I doubt there would have been any love story, even with the 3 films split...

Apparently, Bifur does not have the axe in his head at the end.

Cool. That was essential to know that.

Who cares about Beorn, Dain & co, as long as you know Bifur doesn't have the axe in his head at the end of the film?

Well, it isn't shown how it happens or anything, so it doesn't really take any screentime away from anything.

I think it just underlines BB that most of the Dwarves in the Company, like Dain and Beorn, have been shafted in terms of screentime. It would have been nice to see something like that for Bifur's character, just for something...different. Give one of the lesser Dwarves a moment.

I remember Peter Hambleton (Gloin) saying he had a 'lovely moment' with Bilbo at the end of the film which he hoped would make the cut. Rather inevitably, it does not appear to have done.

How about this important moment between Bofur and Bilbo, which I'm quite certain hasn't made the cut? A nice counterpoint to their scene in the caves in AUJ: http://www.hitfix.com/news/the-hobbits-martin-freeman-on-being-bilbo-and-benedict-cumberbatch-as-smaug/2

And maybe we could see Ori give Bilbo that drawing we see at the opening of AUJ? Would be appreciated PJ.

I have to say: I am sad that Barny is posting all kind of Hobbit news and stuff like that (potential EE scenes, etc.) in the TORN forum, but doesn't share them with us... :(

That used to be YOUR job Messenger, remember? Bah! You've become a disgrace to your own name!

And I don't expect I shall return. In fact I mean not to.

Well why didn't you just say so? If that's the case, you have my blessing!

But if you dare return like the rest of the weak scum who've made such claims...by my beard, I will smite you!

Apparently the prosthetic Bolg design shows up.

He is knocking Gandalf around in his Cage

for like 5 second but it was cool to see.

The Bofur and Gloin scenes aren't in. I don't think Jimmy Nesbit has a single line now that I think of it.

Why the hell did you lose the avatars? Grief over BOFA?

Do you not yet understand? My time is over: it is no longer my task to set things to rights, nor to help folk to do so.

In the willow-meads of Tasarinan we may meet in the Spring.

CGI is really really bad there! Night scenes are comparatively easy and they still blew it completely. Compare that to the wildfire explosion on Game of Thrones which actually looks photorealistic on a TV budget. This thing looks like late 90s visual effects work. Wtf happened to WETA?

I am super disappointed. WETA died to me. They really are a joke nowadays. Even most TV effect houses deliver miles better CGI work (see Game of Thrones)

In most shots, he comes close, in others, he still looks he was in pre-vis stages.

Gollum, as seen in AUJ, remains the best CGI creation yet.

CGI is really really bad there! Night scenes are comparatively easy and they still blew it completely. Compare that to the wildfire explosion on Game of Thrones which actually looks photorealistic on a TV budget. This thing looks like late 90s visual effects work. Wtf happened to WETA?

I am super disappointed. WETA died to me. They really are a joke nowadays. Even most TV effect houses deliver miles better CGI work (see Game of Thrones)

I don't know if you should entirely dismiss WETA based on these films. I think a lot of the crazy post-production schedule has to do with the poor shots.

WETA gave us Avatar, which I wouldn't call a joke.

And yes, GoT is definitely a much better looking world than The Hobbit.

I thought it looked much better in the cinema than that clip.

I don't know if you should entirely dismiss WETA based on these films. I think a lot of the crazy post-production schedule has to do with the poor shots.

WETA gave us Avatar, which I wouldn't call a joke.

Well it was but that had nothing to do with WETA :)

I thought it looked much better in the cinema than that clip.

I hope you are right. I really want this to be good!

The big joke is that all seasons together (including season 5) cost less than the first two hobbit films. 50 hours of material versus 6.

CGI never looks good on a computer screen as it does in the film/on a good TV IMHO

he still looks he was in pre-vis stages.

If compared with actual previs...

Well...

This is beautiful:

Smaug_zpsbf8cf5ca.jpg

This is laughable:

VFX-of-The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-of-Smau

What were your scenes about, Gloin?

Well, there was

• the scene where I ran back to Laketown and killed Smaug.1
  • the scene where I went to Dol Guldur and overthrew the Necromancer.2
  • the scene where I won the Battle of the Five Armies.3
  • the scene where I put on Gimli's helmet.4
Glad to hear that they've left in some of what I did.

1 I did all the leg-work. All that snotty Ba(sta)rd did was fire the arrow.

2 Saruman and Galadriel were my back-up. At the end, Saruman said "Leave Sauron to Glóin!", but I don't know if they've kept that line in.

3 In fairness, Legolas deserves half of the credit.

4 It wasn't Gimli's yet, of course!

Well, there was

2 Saruman and Galadriel were my back-up. At the end, Saruman said "Leave Sauron to Glóin!", but I don't know if they've kept that line in.

Oh that reminds me. The word "Bastards" is in the film.

Well, there was

Oh that reminds me. The word "Bastards" is in the film.

LIttle bastards?