Battle Over Coruscant

tpigeon

Is it me or does the opening cue (complete score) of Revenge of the Sith sound incredibly choppy, almost like you can hear the temp track transitions? Perhaps the sudden changes in direction were intentional on Williams' part, but it's fairly uncharacteristic of him. I just want to see what others think.

Ted

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I understand. Who's complete score are you going by...

On mine, I seperated the tracks. I do have to say though that the opening of the film has quite a lot of alternates.

You have at least 3--if not 4--cues used. Each has an alternate percussion version.

On top of that, some have alternate orchestrations...

On top of that, there's that ending used in the film that had to come from somewhere...so an alternate ending...

And I STILL think there is a segment that is missing... It feels like there should be another segment...

The exactness of the edits is almost irrelevant. If you watch the film and listen to the score in that scene closely, there are some pretty harsh changes in musical direction.

Ted

Is it me or does the opening cue (complete score) of Revenge of the Sith sound incredibly choppy, almost like you can hear the temp track transitions? Perhaps the sudden changes in direction were intentional on Williams' part, but it's fairly uncharacteristic of him. I just want to see what others think.

Ted

I think there were several shorter cues edited togheter.Personally I don't want to separate them,at least not in my expanded score.i'll send you my edit

K.M.

My point was that it culd have been editing. There might be pieces missing that we havn't heard before that go inbetween what we do hear...things that might aide in the transition.

And the complete score thing was pure curiosity

I disagree... There is a missing ending alternate, and there is a missing segment that leads into the album version of "They're Comming Around." The album version is missing serveral moments that it would be safe to assume are the same as the film version (minus the percussion), but there is no way to know.

That's why I seperated the tracks and compared them. They are two seperate and definately different performances of slightly differing orchestrations.

It's what leads me to believe that there are still pieces missing.

But, if we just go by what we have...

I have wondered what was so different about the opening to Episode III score wise... and it is odd how the score is set up in the opening... but I don't know of any Star Wars that opens to such a dramatic scene as this... maybe Episode IV, but it was over quickly.

When I saw the movie for the first time in theatres openeing night, we sat too close and by the time they'd landed in Gen. Greiv's ship, I was dissy and ready to puke. Its full of shots of the fighters just flying around and as cool as it is... But I feel that the opening is too disjoined by itself and could have been shortened ... it reflects in the music I think...

It just sounds like Williams shifting when the battle reaches another segment (Anakin dodging the missiles, the buzz droids), all feels quite natural to me. Just something Williams does in long action cues. I know The Qudditch Match has a couple of transitions like that as well.

At first, I felt the same way you do--quite strongly, in fact. But those edits have grown on me and I enjoy the entire assemblage of cues as-is. The sudden changes work pretty well, I think, with the possible exception of one in the middle of "Boys Into Battle." Oh well.

Goodmusician, I can relate to your nausea after the opening space battle. I sat in one of the first few rows--luckily, I don't get motion sickness, but it was still an overwhelming experience. I enjoyed it. :joy:

Whenever we go to the theaters, we generally tend to sit in the middle towards the top. I hate sitting down towards the front because you got to look up and put your seat back. Talk about your back and neck hurting after the show...yikes.

I couldn't help it. I'd ordered the tickets months ahead of time, only to walk in the theatre to find out that the local radio station had bought all the good seats in the center of the theatre. So It was eaither sit on the side. Or sit somewhat close to the screen. It was almost like IMAX... We were close enough that the screen was all around us... but not tooooo close. But I get motion sickness easy so lol. luckally the seats were recliners... I had to close my eyes a bit :-p

But anyways, back on topic :-p

I'd be willing to bet that the sudden shifts in the music were intentional, and it IS sort of Williams' style. Look to Ultimate War in Hook. I think it's supposed to convey the chaos or high-intensity of the situation. I could be talking out my ass though.