The Final Doozie: What Do You Think Jw Should Have Scored...?

AI

No Poll this time. It's all about you, what you want to hear from The Master of Film Music. A certain John Towner Williams...

It can be any film(s), what you think he could have, should have or might have wanted too, or any other reason you may like to explain.

Any and all films are fair game.

But let's limit it to five films at the most, just for poignancy.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Titanic has a great score. Cutthroat Island has a great score.

Pirates of the Caribbean...Alan Silvestri with a Van Helsingesque effort could probably pull off something more appropriate for these styles of Pirate films than Williams.

Titanic has a great score.
I don't know about Titanic; I am not thoroughly impressed with that music. Seems too new-age for my taste. But the worst thing about that music is that it simply doesn't sound "seaworthy". Although one could argue that the Titanic herself wasn't seaworthy either, considering that she sank.

"Seaworthyness" is a bit of an odd concept that I have made up myself. It is a bit hard to explain, but it is something that is found in Cutthroat Island and especially in Bronislau Kaper's Mutiny on the Bounty. It is also found in the second half of Jaws and occasionally in Hook. It is even found in some parts of the first Pirates of the Caribbean, although to a much lesser extent. But the scene where Jack and Will escape from Port Royal in the HMS Interceptor certainly does have some "seaworthy" quality.

Cutthroat Island has a great score.
I can do nothing but agree with you on that one. I absolutely love the score to Cutthroat Island. All I meant is that I would very much like to hear what John Williams would come up with for such a film. But one thing is for certain: There is nothing wrong with the score Cutthroat Island already has and it certainly doesn't need replacing in any way.
Pirates of the Caribbean...Alan Silvestri with a Van Helsingesque effort could probably pull off something more appropriate for these styles of Pirate films than Williams.
I would also very much like to hear what Alan Silvestri would've come up with for PotC. I think that he would have made those films much more better, as Captain Jack would say. Perhaps Alan Silvestri might even have written a better and/or more appropriate score for those films than John Williams would have done. But I'll never know unless they BOTH rescore the film(s). Which I wouldn't mind them doing, actually. :(

What I would like best is simply to have more "seaworthy" music. There is far too few of it as far as I'm concerned. I absolutely love the sea and sailing (that's why I will be doing just that in February), so more is always better in my opinion. If anyone has some recommendations on possible "seaworthy" music that I am missing out on, please PM me the title of the score(s) so that this thread won't go off-topic any further. :P

I don't know about Titanic; I am not thoroughly impressed with that music. Seems too new-age for my taste. But the worst thing about that music is that it simply doesn't sound "seaworthy". Although one could argue that the Titanic herself wasn't seaworthy either, considering that she sank.

"Seaworthyness" is a bit of an odd concept that I have made up myself. It is a bit hard to explain, but it is something that is found in Cutthroat Island and especially in Bronislau Kaper's Mutiny on the Bounty. It is also found in the second half of Jaws and occasionally in Hook. It is even found in some parts of the first Pirates of the Caribbean, although to a much lesser extent. But the scene where Jack and Will escape from Port Royal in the HMS Interceptor certainly does have some "seaworthy" quality.

You mean swashbuckling scores? You think Titanic should have a swashbuckling score? :(

The Color Purple

Superman II

Hannibal

Clash Of The Titans

And an animated film, there are too many to choose from, but I'd like to see him score one.

Yes it is, but I believe Williams was asked or considered at first. I know John Barry was also assigned because I believe his name was on some of the advanced posters.

I know John Barry was also assigned because I believe his name was on some of the advanced posters.

That's interesting, I didn't know that - but yes, it was.

This thread reminds me, in FSM ages ago there was a "Pukas", about what heaven is like - where you can choose to watch any film, scored by any composer. That would be nice.

Anyway, my choices for this thread:

Superman II

X-Men (all three)

Alexander

Gone with the Wind (I HATE that score)

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (a great film is IMO almost ruined by its awful score)

You mean swashbuckling scores? You think Titanic should have a swashbuckling score? :blink:

I don't mean "swashbuckling". I mean "seaworthy". I don't think the main theme for Mutiny on the Bounty is swashbuckling per se, but it sure IS "seaworthy". You are right that swashbuckling music would not fit in Titanic. But some "seaworthy" music for the sailing-around-on-the-ocean shots sure would've been nice. :rolleyes:

The main theme for Mutiny on the Bounty is swashbuckling, just in a more British...regimental way.

And no that type of music is wrong for Titanic.

Jim Cameron hit the nail on the head when he asked for an Enya type score.

It's somewhat embarassing thing to say, but I have to agree on Titanic. It gave this movie a timeless quality, even if it sounds as synth mock-up at times.

It was probably the last really memorable Horner score.

Karol

Agreed. I really don't think either sea-style or swashbuckling music would be right for Titanic. Depending on who you ask, Titanic is either a love story, or a disaster movie, but it is most certainly not a film about the sea.

Agreed. I really don't think either sea-style or swashbuckling music would be right for Titanic. Depending on who you ask, Titanic is either a love story, or a disaster movie, but it is most certainly not a film about the sea.

You're right. But I would've liked if it WAS a movie about the sea. That was the one thing I didn't like about that whole movie: Although it did play out at sea, it didn't really have much to do with the sea. If I had made that movie, I would've shown a lot more of the goings-on at the bridge and much less of the love story. I still don't understand what business a love story has in the story of the sinking of the Titanic. I would've thought the movie should've been about the Titanic and it's sinking. But that's just me, I suppose. :rolleyes:

You're right. But I would've liked if it WAS a movie about the sea. That was the one thing I didn't like about that whole movie: Although it did play out at sea, it didn't really have much to do with the sea. If I had made that movie, I would've shown a lot more of the goings-on at the bridge and much less of the love story. I still don't understand what business a love story has in the story of the sinking of the Titanic. I would've thought the movie should've been about the Titanic and it's sinking. But that's just me, I suppose. :rolleyes:

To make people care you need a personal story. These are the basics of storytelling, which were proved right many, many, many, many times before. Without it any big movie is boring and uninvolving, no matter the scope and the spectacle. That's why Independence Day will never be as chilling as War of the Worlds.

Karol

I would say my five are

Superman II - and while we are in what if world, Richard Donner directs the movie and actualizes the vision we saw in his cut of the film

Harry Potter 4

The Lion King - A JW animated film would just be interesting, and this is my favorite one

Batman Begins - Just to hear williams' take on the dark knight

Any Zombie Film - I love zombie films, I love John Williams scores, I want to put them together!

Oh yes, you know better then one of the most successfull directors of the last 20 years.

Very clever.

While I disagree with what he said about Titanic, it is possible for a person to know better than a successful director, as you proved with your idea for the ending of Saving Private Ryan, and as many people think they are. Most of the ideas are extremely debatable, but 20 years of success does not make one infallible, or blind to certain aspects.

As for Titanic- it is not a movie about the sea, nor should it be. The sinking of the Titanic is not a story about the sea. It is a story of human arrogance that caused a devastating tragedy, and I think the film captured that perfectly. The love story is a brilliantly simple device. It gives you an overview of the ship, showing off the entire ship, showing you the different classes, different people, different historical figures, and deos not do it in a forced manner. Perhaps a more experimental approach might have been better suited, but I don't think so . As Roger Ebert said about the film, you don't choose to reinvent the wheel on the most expensive film project ever. The film would have cost more, been unmarketable, unprofitable, and quite possibly an artistic failure. As it is, it stands as a terrific film, one where you see where 200+ million dollars went, unlike so many other films who's budgets were in that vicinity.

Oh yes, you know better then one of the most successfull directors of the last 20 years.

Very clever.

I didn't say it WOULD have been better; I said I would have LIKED it better. That statement is true. I really would have liked that better. I personally don't see what that particular love story has to do with the history of the Titanic. It could have been used in any other film. Why wasn't it a love story between an officer aboard the ship and a young lady instead? That would have provided an excuse to show more of the goings-on about the actual sailing of the ship. AND the reason for the sinking.

I wanted to see Titanic to see why the Titanic sank. And although I admit it is a pretty good film, it wasn't really about the sinking of the Titanic at all. It was a love story that was set against the background of the Titanic history. I would've liked it the other way around: The history of the Titanic with a love story in it. Or no love story at all; I don't quite understand why just about all films need a love story.

To make people care you need a personal story. These are the basics of storytelling, which were proved right many, many, many, many times before. Without it any big movie is boring and uninvolving, no matter the scope and the spectacle. That's why Independence Day will never be as chilling as War of the Worlds.

Having a personal story in the film or having the personal story BE the story are two different things. I expected the film to be about the Titanic. It wasn't. It was about the love story.

In short: What the film is, is pretty good. But it simply isn't what I would have liked from a film called Titanic.

If you want to see a film about the Titanic, couldn't you just as well turn on the Discovery channel? :angry:

- Marc, who thinks Titanic turned out as a very well-designed movie in many ways.

If you want to see a film about the Titanic, couldn't you just as well turn on the Discovery channel? :angry:

They don't show movies there; they show documentaries there. If I want to see a movie about the Titanic, you'd think I could watch the movie called Titanic. Right?

- Marc, who thinks Titanic turned out as a very well-designed movie in many ways.

I won't deny that: It IS a good film. I might have liked a different film better, but the current film is a good film.

They don't show movies there; they show documentaries there. If I want to see a movie about the Titanic, you'd think I could watch the movie called Titanic. Right?

Then I suggest you watch A Night to Remember.

I would have like to have heard what Williams would have come up with for Lord of the Rings trilogy. No offence to Shore since I really like his music but it would have been interesting to hear what Williams would have written. although I would have also liked to have seen Spielberg's vision of it.

Here are a couple others:

The Car- it was already a rip off of Jaws and Duel but I would have liked Williams' approach to the chase music better than Rosenman's. Although I do like Rosenman's use of the Dies Irae.

Wyatt Earp- Really like James Newton Howard's score but that epic would have been a nice project for Williams to tackle.

King Kong (2005 version)- A marginal JN Howard effort that would have been better scored by the maestro.

Godzilla (1998- abandoned jan de Bont version)- this had a GREAT story and a 'Zilla that would have done justice to it's namesake. It would have stood to chance that Mark Mancina would have scored it but Williams would have been more interesting. especially if he wrote it like War of the Worlds!

Hulk or Spiderman- either one would have been a nice re-entry into the superhero genre for Williams. I had heard Williams was considered for HULK at one point. Perhaps that was just idle talk.

I don't have anything against Elfman except he's done too many super hero scores in his career. And I'm one of those folks who really likes his HULK score.

I would have like to have heard what Williams would have come up with for Lord of the Rings trilogy. No offence to Shore since I really like his music but it would have been interesting to hear what Williams would have written. although I would have also liked to have seen Spielberg's vision of it.

King Kong (2005 version)- A marginal JN Howard effort that would have been better scored by the maestro.

A. Goldsmith is the only composer whom i would've wished the 'Rings' trilogy as fitting end to an illustrous, but sadly under-appreciated career. He also would be the only composer who'd be able to distinguish between the different worlds in an ingenious musical way. Shore tends to sound rather samey. Williams? I don't know....

B. Howards 'Kong' isn't nearly as marginal as people try to paint it. It's not great music, but the writing is very polished and certainly still head and shoulders above most big scores of today. I don't even think that Williams would rise that much above it. The orchestration would certainly be less standard, but the basic content would be rather similar.

Then I suggest you watch A Night to Remember.

Indeed.

A Night to Remember is a pretty good film as well.

A. Goldsmith is the only composer whom i would've wished the 'Rings' trilogy as fitting end to an illustrous, but sadly under-appreciated career. He also would be the only composer who'd be able to distinguish between the different worlds in an ingenious musical way. Shore tends to sound rather samey. Williams? I don't know....

Goldsmith from the 1960's up to Total Recall, yes.

Goldsmith past that, no.

Godzilla (1998- abandoned jan de Bont version)- this had a GREAT story and a 'Zilla that would have done justice to it's namesake. It would have stood to chance that Mark Mancina would have scored it but Williams would have been more interesting. especially if he wrote it like War of the Worlds!

That would be a nice wish as well.