The Dies Irae Thread

Pelzter

Agreed. Its really impressive how Rachmaninoff slowly reveals and hints at the Dies Irae theme throughout the entire piece, and then only at the very end does he allow the whole motif to play out in a full statement. I always loved how he did that!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a long time since I last listened to John Debney's End of Days so I forgot that almost all of the score is based on the Dies Irae motif. The main theme is made up of the first four notes of the motif (even at the menacing choral chanting part).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESBWBd2i6M

And that consistently shows up in the score, including its more positive renditions in the Redemption cue. Another case where the motif is used appropriately in context.

Composed it? Who do you think was behind every Dies Irae appearance in music? You think JW put Dies Irae in his scores?! Morley is the mastermind behind the inception and the continuing existence of Dies Irae!

Speaking of John Debney, he uses Dies Irae very subtly in the score to Bruce Almighty. In "The Seventh at Seven." I wish I knew what exactly is happening at that point in the film so I could confirm that it's an intentional usage.

There is a tendency to label mere instances of a minor mode 'cambiata' (a certain melodic shape; half step down, back to starting point, descend a third, or a reversal of this procedure) as overt "Dies Irae" references; many of the cited Williams examples are cases in point.

A Williams example that is very deliberate, albeit a deconstruction of the Dies Irae motif, is in fact "Battle of the Heroes". And very fittingly, as it does indeed depict a "day of wrath".

Marcus, I've heard this said before and I've never understood it. I hear how the general shape of line is similar to Dies Irae, but could you explain how it is a specific reference?

Anybody have a recommendation for the best recording of the Metropolis Symphony?

Oh, it's here too - I just answered this same question in the Quick Question Thread. :D But now I also see you've already bought the same version I have (Nashville Symphony), so I hope you'll be as happy with it as I am.

• 3 months later...

Michael Giacchino directly quotes the Dies Irae in Lost... in one of Kate's flashbacks during season 1, episode 22, "Born to Run". A lot of the music is very similar to the Dies Irae, but when Tom and Kate are underneath the tree, its a direct quote, if I remember correctly. Well, I knew who was going to be dead by the end of the episode... :-)

• 4 months later...

I remember seeing my cousins watching a Smurfs Christmas special, and it featured a lot of the Dies Irae theme.

• 4 months later...

Hard to miss this reference at 3:15, eh? Probably one of the most extreme examples next to Liszt's Totentanz.

I know it has been mentioned before, but I heard it played last night (and Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto no. 3) and it's quite a spectacular piece of music.

Karol

• 1 year later...