For Musicians: Hardest to Play?

JWrocks231

I play trombone and piano. The hardest for me to play on Trombone is the Superman Main theme. The hardest piano theme for me to play is the Theme From ET. Does anyone agree?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

The opening of "Hedwigs Theme" is a pain in the neck. In fact my violin and I consider it impossible...it's a synth we tell you!

I play trombone and piano. The hardest for me to play on Trombone is the Superman Main theme. The hardest piano theme for me to play is the Theme From ET. Does anyone agree?

My bone players in my concert band fought with that lick too. Once the got it, man, it rocked.

Personally, I'm still fighting with his trumpet concerto.

Nope.

The opening of "Hedwigs Theme" is a pain in the neck. In fact my violin and I consider it impossible...it's a synth we tell you!

Not on a piano it isn't!

Saxophones pretty much have to contend with the Escapades from CMIYC which I still can't play perfectly.

The horn part in the Far and Away suite is a real bitch for me. Not so much the rhythms, but the range. Definately not a warmup piece, and forget about it by the end of the day!

The horn concerto has some pretty tough spots too, but not impossible.

The horn part in the Far and Away suite is a real bitch for me. Not so much the rhythms, but the range. Definately not a warmup piece, and forget about it by the end of the day!

Have you played the suite in concert, or do you have the part yourself? I'm interested in it, being a horn player.

Ray Barnsbury

We actually sight-read it in orchestra once, then deemed it too difficult. Although I do have a pdf of the signature edition score, so if you're interested just send me a pm and I'll get it to you.

Clarinet - E.T. ---> We played a version of Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye when I was in High School...one of the toughest JW pieces i've ever had to play (wish I could find the arrangement again to play with my current ensemble, it was killer!)

Trumpet - gotta agree with whomever said Battle of the Heroes - there's some tough counting and range in that piece.

The clarinet part to The Chamber of Secrets is probably one of the most difficult JW parts I've seen for the instrument. The viola part in Battle of the Heroes is killer, mainly because for about 95% of the piece they have nothing but non-stop tremolos. I would think your arm would get tired pretty quickly. I guess it really depends on what you find more difficult: the fast, technical passages, or having to play notes in the extreme ranges of the instrument. Or maybe it's a matter of tricky key signatures or awkward time signature changes. That's all I can think of at this hour.

The viola part in Battle of the Heroes is killer, mainly because for about 95% of the piece they have nothing but non-stop tremolos. I would think your arm would get tired pretty quickly.

It does.

I dont have half the experience some of you guys have but some difficult ones for me (piano) are "Duel of the Fates", "Sayuri's Theme", "Theme from ET" and "The Forest Battle Concert Suite" in the JW Anthology has got to top them all, just looking at all the notes makes my brains hurt.

The viola part in Battle of the Heroes is killer, mainly because for about 95% of the piece they have nothing but non-stop tremolos. I would think your arm would get tired pretty quickly.

You obviously lack some Beethoven/Dvorak/Schumann symphony last page training :)

Things like the violin runs in the beginning of Hedwig's theme aren't unplayable, but especially hard as it's a very open passage... you really hear every wrong note or blurry fingering of every single person in the section. Every time I listen to the soundtrack I'm amazed how the players could nail it in such a short time, especially since it's not the most natural scales to play. But that's a Williams trademark, string runs in impossible keys ;) If you've played a fair share of Williams, nothing can shock you anymore in that regard *g*

Well, I'm not exactly an expert piano player, but the hardest JW piece I've tried would have to be Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra.

I dont have half the experience some of you guys have but some difficult ones for me (piano) are "Duel of the Fates", "Sayuri's Theme", "Theme from ET" and "The Forest Battle Concert Suite" in the JW Anthology has got to top them all, just looking at all the notes makes my brains hurt.

That first page or so of "The Forest Battle" is a killer on the left hand!!

...the last few pages are much, much easier IMHO.