A Pedantic Thread

Henry B

I was listening to samples of Stanley and Iris on iTunes and caught a direct quote of "Luke and Leia," which is itself lifted from Bernstein's Candide.

I guess this is a bad thing.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a similar passage.This happens in lots of Williams cues

No, it doesn't.

Yes it kind of does. For example, there's a nice rendition of Shmi's Theme in Minority Report and the father/son theme from The Last Crusade is quoted in Far and Away. But it's normal. A reporter once pointed out similarities in two of Bernard Herrmann's pieces and Herrmann responded in his normal subtle way by saying something like "Of course they sound similar. The same person wrote both of them you ****ing idiot!"

I gotta give this whole thread a big huge WTF? I listened to Stanley and Iris many times after becoming very intimate with the SW scores, and if there was a quote of a major Star Wars theme in there, it would be obvious. Intervals and note lengths are the composer's tools. Gotta use em for your intention without worrying whether you might make a short line similar to something else.

Yes it kind of does. For example, there's a nice rendition of Shmi's Theme in Minority Report and the father/son theme from The Last Crusade is quoted in Far and Away. But it's normal. A reporter once pointed out similarities in two of Bernard Herrmann's pieces and Herrmann responded in his normal subtle way by saying something like "Of course they sound similar. The same person wrote both of them you ****ing idiot!"

And that is all that needs to be said. :lol:

I thought the title might have been some indication as to the seriousness of this thread, but I thought wrong.

Ross, Act I Finale/"Make Our Garden Grow." But I'm still just kidding.

I thought the title might have been some indication as to the seriousness of this thread, but I thought wrong.

Ross, Act I Finale/"Make Our Garden Grow." But I'm still just kidding.

Actually,I did notice a long time ago the Luke and Leia similarity of that passage.

I was listening to samples of Stanley and Iris on iTunes and caught a direct quote of "Luke and Leia," which is itself lifted from Bernstein's Candide.

I guess this is a bad thing.

Like the avatar! :P

You could go full circle with this and say that Make Our Garden Grow from Candide is lifted or inspired by Beethoven.