The Top 5

Koray Savas

For those of you who don't know I am starting a series where we, as a group, will determine the top 5 scores of a particular category. So far I've done many individual composers, from which I will continue. But for now, here is a change of scenery.

Here is the list of nominees:

1920s • Wings† • Sunrise† • The Broadway Melody†

1930s • All Quiet on the Western Front† • Cimarron† • Grand Hotel† • Cavalcade† • It Happened One Night • Mutiny on the Bounty • The Great Ziegfeld • The Life of Emile Zola • You Can't Take It with You • Gone with the Wind

1940s • Rebecca • How Green Was My Valley • Mrs. Miniver • Casablanca • Going My Way • The Lost Weekend • The Best Years of Our Lives • Gentleman's Agreement • Hamlet • All the King's Men

1950s • All About Eve • An American in Paris • The Greatest Show on Earth • From Here to Eternity • On the Waterfront • Marty • Around the World in Eighty Days • The Bridge on the River Kwai • Gigi • Ben-Hur

1960s • The Apartment • West Side Story • Lawrence of Arabia • Tom Jones • My Fair Lady • The Sound of Music • A Man for All Seasons • In the Heat of the Night • Oliver! • Midnight Cowboy

1970s • Patton • The French Connection • The Godfather • The Sting • The Godfather Part II • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest • Rocky • Annie Hall • The Deer Hunter • Kramer vs. Kramer

1980s • Ordinary People • Chariots of Fire • Gandhi • Terms of Endearment • Amadeus • Out of Africa • Platoon • The Last Emperor • Rain Man • Driving Miss Daisy

1990s • Dances with Wolves • The Silence of the Lambs • Unforgiven • Schindler's List • Forrest Gump • Braveheart • The English Patient • Titanic • Shakespeare in Love • American Beauty

2000s • Gladiator • A Beautiful Mind • Chicago • The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King • Million Dollar Baby • Crash

†From 1927–1933, the Academy Awards did not follow a calendar year.

My Top 5:

1. Schindler's List

2. Ben-Hur

3. The Godfather

4. Gone With The Wind

5. Gladiator

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

2. The Sound of Music

3. Forrest Gump

4. Don't care....

EDIT: Again,didn't see the SCORES part. Here's my list:

1. Return of the King

2. Forrest Gump

3. Titanic

4. Sound of Music

I've never seen nor heard anything from Schindler's List (other than the main theme), but I'm sure that would be next on my list if I did.

I believe your choosing movies, where the thread is supposed to be for scores. Personally, I'd be far more interested if it it were movies. And that in this day and age, someone has not seen The Godfather....mind boggling.

For those of you who don't know I am starting a series where we, as a group, will determine the top 5 scores of a particular category. So far I've done many individual composers, from which I will continue. But for now, here is a change of scenery.

I made the same mistake, Elmo Lewis. It is scores.

I've never seen nor heard anything from Schindler's List (other than the main theme), but I'm sure that would be next on my list if I did.

Get out of here right now, and do not come back.

This list includes films that had original scores only.

1. Schindler's List

2. Braveheart

3. Chariots of Fire

4. American Beauty

5. The Godfather, Part 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here are the final Top 5, voting is closed:

1. Schindler's List

2. Braveheart

3. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King

4. Ben-Hur

5. The Godfather Part II

Again, very little posts. I feel ROTK doesn't belong in there at all.

The best scores from that list, in Top Five

1 - Dances with Wolves

2 - Patton

3 - Schindler's List

4 - Titanic

5 - Gladiator

schindlers list is overrated, too many JW fans with JW clouding their eyes and ears.

There is nothing overrated in the music. Sometimes I believe you would like to hear Superman-like fanfare in it ;)

schindlers list is overrated, too many JW fans with JW clouding their eyes and ears.

You really, really need to subject "Rememberances" to that Dark Test of yours. It's one of Williams' most heart-wrenching pieces. It's impossible, under any context, to listen to it and remain unaffected.

You really, really need to subject "Rememberances" to that Dark Test of yours. It's one of Williams' most heart-wrenching pieces. It's impossible, under any context, to listen to it and remain unaffected.

It's neo-romantic mush in a jewish idiom. Williams would've better followed a more intimate concept (á la the jewish song before 'Nacht Aktion') instead of the string heavy syrup he poured i. e. over the 'I could have done more' sequence - unfortunately, the Academy Award proved his instincts (or Spielbergs) right.

It's a rather mundane drama® score, the kind of which Delerue already came up with for the WWII-concentration camp drama 'Escape from Sobibor'. Sadly, nobody ever mentions that.

It might not be groundbreaking, but mundane it is not. I think the main theme suffers from over-exposure and over-stringy-ness. But 'Rememberances' remains a phenomenally powerful melody. And you can't intellectualize away something like 'Immolation', or the genuine horror expressed (relatively subtely, I might add) in ' Auschwitz - Birkenau'. 'Making The List' is a great cue.

May not be for all tastes, but the score certainly has several remarkably affecting and effective cues. And you're certainly not gonna convince anyone by singling out 'I Could Have Done More', which is the most controvercial scene in the film, one that even many people who love the film think is far too schmaltzy.

May not be for all tastes, but the score certainly has several remarkably affecting and effective cues.

If you read all the hosannas here, you could believe it's a genuine masterpiece, which it is not.

I'll grant you that pieces like 'Jewish Town' or the Auschwitz-cue are (rare) standouts, but the basic ingredient is minor strings with gusto, which i find just too much with such a subject. It's just too cliché.

I thoroughly agree.

I prefer the car test these Days Elmo, and I really do like Schindler's List, but its not one of the top 5 scores of all the Academy Award winning films.

I really wish people would listen to the Sting, its amazing.