Composing in head

Carnifex

You know in the evening or at night I have a habit of composing music in my head before falling asleep, usually for a film. ;)

For example arranging strings to play Kamenesque string patterns and adding perhaps an oboe or trumpet melody on it.

Yeah... ripping Kamen from the very first note! :(

Usually it is not the music I would write to the partiture, but sometimes I create some nice themes and I get excited forgetting to fall asleep. And having woken up in the morning I get upset because those lovely notes are not in my head anymore.

Do you have these tendencies or am I the lone wolf McQuade thinking those things?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have these tendencies or am I the lone wolf McQuade thinking those things?

I remember that is why I started composing when I was a teenager. After years of composing music in my head I decided I needed to learn how to write it down. Before I knew about sequencing. My advice is get a keyboard and a notation manual and just start writing. Then worry about a more formal or self-taught education later. Just try not to start on computer at least for a few months, until you can notate some of what's in your head.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but sometimes I will here some music, and I will think: "It's good, but I think they could've done this like this instead." It's not as much composing as it is just changing a few notes, or a bit of the tempo and stuff.

I've been analyzing the full score to Adventures on Earth, which is amazing. And as I'm attempting to play bits of it, my mind seems to fill in the rest of the orchestra (In certain passages, it's not possible to play every note at once on the piano), which is a very interesting experience.

Sometimes, I also mentally experiment with themes and variations, changing a note here and there or replacing a quarter note with a triplet of that note. It can be a relaxing distraction, but sometimes you want to remember it and don't have anything to notate it on immediately.

Sometimes a fragment of a melody comes into my mind and I have to notate it on the back of my hand with a biro before it disappears into the ether. But one salient and regrettable observation worth making: music's usually better drunk than sober.

I used to compose in my head too, only for my pleasure of course, but not just before falling asleep...

Sometimes, I had great themes but forgot them the next day. So now, when I don't want to forget something, I just write the main melody in a MIDI file and when I listen to it, I remember what I had in mind.

I had this music in mind a few times ago and this is what it gives when completed : http://musicby.jw-music.net/clashclimax.mp3

I do it all the time. I then either forget the melody 5 mins later, or discover it's 3 notes different from something I was listening to the night before.

Thought I had something original a month or so back. Turned out to be Sao Feng's theme :P

Same here.. one night I started to compose but Jablonsky's Ray's Theme was haunting in my mind! :P I started with my own theme but suddenly it morphed into Ray's Theme, damn! I think film composers have the same problems. :P

Different themes and moments from Hook and Star Wars seem to have been running through my head for a long time.

Born of the Fourth of July does too oddly enough.