George Fenton's Earth

Panthera

The Planet Earth series is going to take all of the best clips and turn it into a movie. Same thing was done for Blue Planet, which became Deep Blue. George Fenton released a second CD of music for Deep Blue. Is there any word on a release for George Fenton's music to Earth? IMDB says the movie it is released Oct. 10th in France.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More like George Fenton's Dearth...

Dearth of imagination!!

Actually, I've never heard the score, but I couldn't pass up that comedic opportunity. It was so good. So good.

Honestly...it's dull and backgroundish.

I don't get the whole "wonder of the planet" from the music alone.

That's Fenton's problem in my opinion, he gets really close to coming up with hair-raising stuff, but he falls short almost everytime.

Deep Blue just barely made it.

'gets really close'????!

I absolutely love what he did for Planet Earth - full of themes and 'epicness'. And I'm sure he's composing new music for Earth. Since when did the BBC just track music? They don't have Lucas...

It's really good, actually, I should buy it. But I'm running low on cash after purchasing Michael Clayton, The Kingdom, and The Darjeeling Limited. And Amazon has Jesse James listed for $42!! :P I hope that's some crazy error.

Deep Blue had the same theme but different music. I'm assuming Earth will be the same.

Plus it was performed by the Berlin Philharmonic, who simply beat the BBC players by a mile (and Fenton even spiced up the brass lines on some cues for the occasion).

I've never been that excited about Planet Earth though. It's got a few nice moments, but overall seems mostly a lengthy experience. Nothing like the two Blues, which I couldn't get out of my player for weeks.

Hmm, I'm the opposite. I rarely listen to the two Blues but I am dangerously obsessed with many cues from Planet Earth. Just tell me that Angel Falls, The Snow Geese, The Earth's Highest Challenge, and Frog Ballet/Jungle Falls, which are a few of my favourite tracks, are not amazing.

Deep Blue had the same theme but different music. I'm assuming Earth will be the same.

Plus it was performed by the Berlin Philharmonic, who simply beat the BBC players by a mile (and Fenton even spiced up the brass lines on some cues for the occasion).

I've never been that excited about Planet Earth though. It's got a few nice moments, but overall seems mostly a lengthy experience. Nothing like the two Blues, which I couldn't get out of my player for weeks.

Yeah, if they do a reworked score for Earth, with the Berlin Phil, I'll go for it...

Deep Blue is a joy to listen to not only for the great music but the gorgeous playing...the title theme is to me one of the best things he's ever written. I agree with you Marian, Planet Earth has some interesting moments that recall the "Blues" but never quite reach their majesty. The series was awesome though, and I'm glad he's gotten a few awards for the music because he's really a talent IMO.

Are we getting Earth released here in the US in theaters? I'd like to see that on the big screen.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread from months ago, but I just saw this movie. It was really good.

I liked the message it was saying and I liked how it didn't try to ram that important message down our throats.

It was as, one reviewer put it, "visual orgasm".

Unfortunately, I can't say that about themusic.

The music was like trying to say "hey, look at me; look at me", but all I wanted to do was kick it to the (audio) curb.

It was as bland and generic and quite boring.

When you've got spectacular visuals, it's hard to pay attention to such blandness. Instead I ended up listening to the gorgeous animal/environmental gutteral sounds.

Patrick Stewart as narrator wasn't too bad either.

Great movie, great dvd. Go buy.

That's Fenton's problem in my opinion, he gets really close to coming up with hair-raising stuff, but he falls short almost everytime.

Funny that my exact opinion of James Newton howard

It was as bland and generic and quite boring.

When you've got spectacular visuals, it's hard to pay attention to such blandness. Instead I ended up listening to the gorgeous animal/environmental gutteral sounds.

If the 3 clips on the Earth site are anything to go by, then I believe the score to be a million miles away from bland.

But one man's trash is another man's treasure... I consider Fenton's music for the entire collection be a stunning achievement, but each to his own.

Funny that my exact opinion of James Newton howard

Get your hairs checked!

I rather like Fenton's music. I haven't heard it away from the DVDs but I think it's excellent in context. Actually,when I first watched a couple episodes, I kept wondering who had done the music as it was very well done indeed.