Where's Wannberg?

Morlock

I looked in the credits of Catch me if you can- but I couldn't find Ken Wannberg (JW's music editor of 25 years) anywhere!

His last credit is for Minority Report!

I thought that maybe they just didn't have the sound department fully listed yet, but Shawn Murphy (JW's music mixer of 15 years) is credited?

Anyone heard anything about this? because in a radio interview in Febuary the Maestro spoke very fondly of Wannberg.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be worried if he weren't in Minority Report or Catch Me If You Can, but not with Chamber of Secrets. It must be due to the reason you wrote, Morlock.

And the fact there is Shawn Murphy doesn't mean anything (for me). He works in many soundtracks, apart from Williams' ones (I think).

For example, in my nickname, Edward Scissorhands.

OH, God, I would use him in a heart beat. He gives Williams his sound I think.... Yes Yes, Williams gives Williams his sound, but there is something he does that makes Williams recordings sound different than when others rerecord Williams stuff.

Why is that annoying?

He's deaf. All his Williams recordings from recent years sound terrible (some more, some less), with the exception of the cello album (which must be due to the new DSD technology). He drowns out half of the orchestra and most of the counterpoints, he overmixes the bass that it sounds like my amplifier is damaged because the bass lines drone so much.

Marian - hoping COS is mixed by Simon Rhodes.

Call of the Champions sounds just as bad as much of Murphy's recent CDs (not as bad as AI). There's a point in it where some notes sound so artificial, I can't even tell what instrument they come from. The Simon Rhodes tracks on the same album sound a lot better. Though the track that does sound best IS a Murphy recording, Summon the Heroes - but that is from several years ago, and Murphy has done some fantastic-sounding albums in the past. Hence my theory that he's going deaf or something. :(

Murphy is good sometimes. But lately his recordings have had serious noise problems and such. Check out A.I. and Minority Report - especially the latter is a disaster. I'd take Simon Rhodes (Harry Potter) any time.

Murphy is good sometimes. But lately his recordings have had serious noise problems and such. Check out A.I. and Minority Report - especially the latter is a disaster. I'd take Simon Rhodes (Harry Potter) any time.

James Horner apparently thinks the same way. Apparently after some falling out after Titanic, Horner hasn't gone back to using Murphy for any of his scores.

I tend to prefer Armin Steiner over Shawn Murphy for some recordings. Eric Tomlinson also did some pretty good stuff, too.

I looked in the credits of Catch me if you can- but I couldn't find Ken Wannberg (JW's music editor of 25 years) anywhere!

Which in my mind is a GOOD thing,considering his work in the Star Wars prequels.

K.M.

ROTFLMAO

Simon Rhodes sounds like he mixes things in a garbage can, talking about not being able to hear anything. His mixes sound so distant that they sound like they were recorded 400 miles away...

Frosty

Haha, I agree with both Marian and Frosty to be honest.

Ohh to be me. ROTFLMAO At least Rhode is better than current Murphy. Bring back who ever it was that did ET and Raiders, what was his name?

Hey Marian I'd just listen to the music and not study it. ROTFLMAO

1) This thread *is* about *listening*. :)

2) Only listening and not studying isn't half as fun, and there wouldn't be boards like this if everyone did it.

Botnick is always great. Frosty, yes, Rhodes does sometimes sound a bit distant, but have you ever been to a concert? He still lets you hear everything, something that Murphy doesn't manage anymore even though he puts the orchestra right into your ear.

Marian - who adores the Dennis Sands-recorded Rosewood.

• 6 months later...

At first I couldn't understand the phenomenon that is Shawn Murphy. I didn't agree with his mixing style at all. But he changed the Williams sound when probably change was needed. Most of his recordings sound more "wet" attempting to make them sound bigger to appeal the movie-going masses. And yet , sometimes Shawn rules them all. Some of his recordings are really top notch. Maybe Shawn isn't always mixing in same studios with same monitors. Perhaps there lies the reason why his sometimes high standards aren't always reached. But when Shawn is in fine shape his stuff truly amazes me.

----------------

Alex Cremers-who just dug up an old thread.

I agree that Shawn Murphy should never be hired by Williams again... Listen to A.I. - listen to Minority Report. Muffled, noisy sound. I wish Williams would stick to Simon Rhodes who did the two Harry Potter albums. Sounds great.

Hey Marian I'd just listen to the music and not study it. :)

Botnick is always great. Frosty, yes, Rhodes does sometimes sound a bit distant, but have you ever been to a concert? He still lets you hear everything, something that Murphy doesn't manage anymore even though he puts the orchestra right into your ear.

Marian - who adores the Dennis Sands-recorded Rosewood.

I conduct an orchestra, so I think I've been to a couple of concerts.

One other thing...

I was trying to remember when I made the earlier response about Simon Rhodes. I finally remebered, it was when we were discussing the American Journey album, so that response is probably a year old. Anybody have any explanations why an old response shows up here? :?

Frosty

Apparently after some falling out after Titanic, Horner hasn't gone back to using Murphy for any of his scores.

Sure, it's easier to blame it on Murphy.

Anybody have any explanations why an old response shows up here?  

Frosty should read:

Posted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:57 pm  

At first I couldn't understand the phenomenon that is Shawn Murphy. I didn't agree with his mixing style at all. But he changed the Williams sound when probably change was needed. Most of his recordings sound more "wet" attempting to make them sound bigger to appeal the movie-going masses. And yet , sometimes Shawn rules them all. Some of his recordings are really top notch. Maybe Shawn isn't always mixing in same studios with same monitors. Perhaps there lies the reason why his sometimes high standards aren't always reached. But when Shawn is in fine shape his stuff truly amazes me.  

----------------  

Now Frosty should understand.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Bruce Botnick did E.T.

Tomlinson probably did Raiders.

Stefancos- who thinks Botnick's work always sounds good.

Actually, Bruce Botnick did the re-mix on E.T.

Lyle Burbridge did the original recording session on E.T., Williams' best sounding CD. Tomlinson did do Raiders.

Shawn Murphy's work on Cape Fear, for example, is a real treat to my ears.

----------------

Alex Cremers, who just can't resist an old thread.

Okay...

Anybody have any explanations why an old response shows up here?  

Frosty should read:

Posted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:57 pm  

----------------  

Now Frosty should understand.

----------------

Alex Cremers